Adjusting handlebar position

Detrich

did anyone who did these handlebar position adjustments take before and after photos on the bike showing the difference in riding position for (a) rolling the bars towards the rider and/or (b) reversing the housing to move the bar position towards the windscreen? saw the video that keith shared- ie the riders point of view. (thanks very much for that btw.) am just still curious if there are more pix to look at for this. :)

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

i know how u feel uno... i went to my very first bike meet, and one of my friends chipped my tank with their coat zipper when sitting on it... i know it was an accident, so what can u do, you know? i just touched it up with a touch-up pen and try not to look at it- even tho it's still visible... still sucks tho :(

arkkornkid

did anyone who did these handlebar position adjustments take before and after photos on the bike showing the difference in riding position for (a) rolling the bars towards the rider and/or (b) reversing the housing to move the bar position towards the windscreen? saw the video that keith shared- ie the riders point of view. (thanks very much for that btw.) am just still curious if there are more pix to look at for this. :)
I'm planning on going with the forward position tomorrow. I'll be sure to take some pics. I'm curious to see how it feels, but would like a visual reference as well to compare the difference.

Spunky99

i know how u feel uno... i went to my very first bike meet, and one of my friends chipped my tank with their coat zipper when sitting on it... i know it was an accident, so what can u do, you know? i just touched it up with a touch-up pen and try not to look at it- even tho it's still visible... still sucks tho :(
I know this is not what you want to hear Detrich...

Consider the chip a "Beauty Mark" and try to learn to live with it.
That is what I call the first ding in any of my guitars.:)

Spunky99

I'm planning on going with the forward position tomorrow. I'll be sure to take some pics. I'm curious to see how it feels, but would like a visual reference as well to compare the difference.
We both will be making the change tomorrow.
I'll post pics too...I wonder if the stock setup is the same for all dealers or is it just approximate?

Grinch79

I would love to see some pictures on the difference between the stock and forward look. The video I've seen was good on how to do it however it didn't really give me a good enough idea on how far of a difference it was. I'm ready to get my done, just wanted to see what it looked like first.

Spunky99

I changed the handlebars to the 20mm forward position today but before I touched anything, here are 4 pics of the bars as they came from the dealer.
I don't know if these are set per Yamaha specs but this is what I received as stock.
I hope this helps.
I marked the bar position with a pencil and set them back up the same angle on the forward mount to start with.

Attachments

Funkmaxtor

I just changed my riser to the forward position and I can tell a big difference. Turning is much easier/quicker. I did not get to go for a very long ride to see how the long term comfort is but the performance difference as far as handling is really amazing.

Spunky99

I just changed my riser to the forward position and I can tell a big difference. Turning is much easier/quicker. I did not get to go for a very long ride to see how the long term comfort is but the performance difference as far as handling is really amazing.
Bars forward and rear shock at 7....
Rock Store tomorrow.

arkkornkid

changed mine today too.... rode for a few hours. I like it better.... just that little bit forces me to ride the correct way: use my legs and core to support myself and use my arms to steer only. It helps to have to reach a little because it keeps me from riding stiff-armed and therefore less pressure on my wrists. I only got a numb right hand once and that didn't last long.

I set up my camera on a tripod and took before and after pics, but it'll be Monday before I can upload them.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

ksanbon

Bars forward and rear shock at 7....
Rock Store tomorrow.
Spunky99.

Are you talking about the Mulholland climb where they just rode The Tour of CA bike race? There's some gnarly roads up there.

I came over 23 South one day when The PCH was backed up. The descent just north of the Mulholland intersection is really challenging, especially w/ sand on some of the corners!

I'd imagine having the bars forward will make a huge diff there. Please post back.

ksanbon

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread.

I moved my bars forward today. It was easy because of the information I got from this thread.

Two things I found:
1. To loosen the riser nuts, I used a ratchet, 8" extension, a swivel, & a 14mm to turn the nuts from below the instrument panel. My bike is at stock height so I could have used up to a 12" extension.
2. You can save a lot of time by removing the top bolts w/ a ratchet & hex key socket (I'm going to buy a set for future jobs).

Question:
The riser nuts didn't have lock washers. Should I reinstall them w/ Loctite?

Thanks again!
Keith

Spunky99

Attachments

Detrich

I know this is not what you want to hear Detrich...

Consider the chip a "Beauty Mark" and try to learn to live with it.
That is what I call the first ding in any of my guitars.:)
Ah, a fellow gun slinger =). Thanks for the advice. I get the same way whenever I ding or scratch my axes- esp when the shops do it after a fret job. Some guitars are irreplaceable though. So it's even more upsetting sometimes. Hahaha. But, sone wear n tear gives everything some character. At least thats how I rationalize it. =)