Adjusting handlebar position

flyingminno

Dammit, I was adjusting the bar position, and while fumbling with the bolt caps, I dropped one into the circular hole in the frame below the bars, where the wires run through. Should I look into getting a replacement, or just go without them all?

gearhead

IMO, that cap is 99% cosmetic and 1% deterant to keep away the prankster who just happens to have an allen wrench that size and is yet too stupid to pry off the cap with his fingernail :)
Some people like naked bolt heads while others seem to determined to cover everything up.

FitZ6R

Well, did ya try shaking the bike upside down?

Like Gearhead said, just cosmetic.

JonKerr

Elite Member
F

FZ6Rgurl

Instead of rolling the bar towards you, can you roll them away from you? That way you would prevent the handlebars from hitting your tank? Or would that completely change the position of the the two black controls on the handlebars? (AKA the start button, fake button, high beam, low beam, horn, etc...) Or can you adjust those too?

SilentT

Bar Risers

Remember to check you owners manual. The risers are reversable to allow more forward or back adjustment by 20-25mm.
There should also be arrows pointing forward on the top clamp.
The main riser must be rotated

porky45

I'm thinking about moving my bars to the forward position. Did anyone feel like they were able to be more aggressive in the corners and get their upper body into the correct "kissing the mirror" position riding the twisties aggressively?
Moving the bars to the forward position certainly make it easier to put more of your weight foward and as well as crouch lower. The "kissing the mirror" position while in the twisties is also achieved pretty easily.

For something that takes no more than 15 minutes for the mechanically challenged, it's certainly worth testing out.

F

FZ6Rgurl

So just so I am understanding what everyone is doing. You guys are loosening the bolts and rolling the bar towards the windscreen? Correct? Or are you rolling the bar towards the rider?

flyingminno

So just so I am understanding what everyone is doing. You guys are loosening the bolts and rolling the bar towards the windscreen? Correct? Or are you rolling the bar towards the rider?
Well it really depends on your riding style preference, to roll it closer to the rider lowers the bar and gives it a more sporty and easier to counter-steer feel. So the majority are rolling the bar towards the rider.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superfly

OK I think I'm missing those 4 black caps for my handlebars. They must have been lost on the trip over from Japan:cool: I'll ask my dealer on my next visit for some new ones.

Also my bike has the arrow on the top bar clamp facing forward. And it appears that the handlebars are in the rear most position by looking at the way the offset looks like it bulges rearward (if that makes sense)

Is this correct? BTW if its all correct for the rear setting what advantages are for using the forward setting ie. better cornering? stability?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superfly

Sounds like your caps are on backwards. The bulge below should be to the front of the bike, moving the bars forward, if the arrow is pointing forward. I like mine forward. Helps me get my body lower when I'm cornering.
lovely i'm going to go turn that around then...

Superfly

Sounds like your caps are on backwards. The bulge below should be to the front of the bike, moving the bars forward, if the arrow is pointing forward. I like mine forward. Helps me get my body lower when I'm cornering.
Ok so I moved the bars to the forward position and installed the bar caps on facing forward (like it was with the bars in the rear position). Looks good so far and felt ok sitting on it but will have to wait till the weather gets better before I can test drive it.

But I have a question. Looking at my triple clamp and forks it looks like they are set at Max ride height. There isnt any fork at all sticking out of the top of the triple clamp. Is that the correct way for the stock setting? If so has anyone tried lowering the front?

JonKerr

Elite Member

joloy133

Actually, a few riders aboard have lowered their bikes with acceptable results. If you experiment and lower the front end to get a quicker tip in for canyon riding, etc., you should lower 5mm at a time and test ride. Our bikes have 26* of rake, where race type bikes are at 24*. I recently examined a bike whose driver dropped 1", placed hi rise clip ons, and a steering stabilizer. Don't rush on this type of mod.!!!!!!!!

locwan

guys, I need some help. how do you rotate the risers? I unbolted the 4 top screws that holds the top clamp down and the handle bar is able to come off. but the bottom part of the clamp doesn't just turn around does it?

Did you guys have to loosen the bolt at the bottom of clamp to rotate them?

Roaddawg

guys, I need some help. how do you rotate the risers? I unbolted the 4 top screws that holds the top clamp down and the handle bar is able to come off. but the bottom part of the clamp doesn't just turn around does it?

Did you guys have to loosen the bolt at the bottom of clamp to rotate them?
Yes. Bottom bolts.

Halon

Ok so rotating the bar toward me isn't the only adjustment - right? I already did that, but was hoping there was more.

Also is it possible to rotate the turn signal and headlamp switch so you can get the clutch lever a little lower? Or is that part of why people get the (is it pazzo?) aftermarket levers?

JonKerr

Elite Member