Adjusting handlebar position

MNDZA

Has anyone used the optional handlebar position? Does it simply make it more of an aggressive position....as in lower and further? How difficult is it to do yourself? I assume that when you adjust it, you need to reposition all the controls?

thepod

You can do it yourself, but be prepared, the bolts are tourqued tight tight tight!. You'll need a good ratchet, not just a hand allen wrench. Get some locktite (blue). No need to rewire or reroute the cables.

Roaddawg

I didn't adjust the risers, but i did move the handlebars themselves. I twisted them up and down and drove around to feel the different angles. I ended up twisting them down just a hair from the stock position which gave me a slight more lower position, but one that was more comfortable for me. I took a pencil and put marks on both the handlebars and the risers so I would know where the stock position was at before I moved them.

MNDZA

After rotating the bars do you need to reposition the controls or does it not matter?

cbzdel

MNDZA it sounds like you really want to find an aggressive position lately lol

Can I ask what the stock position is preventing you from doing? I guess I dont fully understand what a more aggressive position does for someone..

MNDZA

MNDZA it sounds like you really want to find an aggressive position lately lol

Can I ask what the stock position is preventing you from doing? I guess I dont fully understand what a more aggressive position does for someone..
Hahaha yeah. I seem to feel more comfortable and more in control while laid more forward. Maybe I'm just preparing myself for next year when I finally get my Daytona 675......or new R6 if they make a better new model.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You know what you could do to give you a more aggressive riding position without changing anything?

Slide your butt back on the seat. I know, it sounds so easy. I did this yesterday and was amazed how low it put me. I just scooted back until I was touching the passenger seat. It allows for a deeper tuck. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

cbzdel

You know what you could do to give you a more aggressive riding position without changing anything?

Slide your butt back on the seat. I know, it sounds so easy. I did this yesterday and was amazed how low it put me. I just scooted back until I was touching the passenger seat. It allows for a deeper tuck. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

how about just plopping your ass down on the backseat lol

MNDZA

Yeah I've been doing that too.

RZ350 Rider

To move the bars forward, you remove both of the caps on the risers then rotate the risers 180degrees making making the bars go forward. The mounting bolt is offset in the riser making this possible. It's very easy to do. Just make sure you tighten FULLY the front bolt in the caps, then the rear ones. I also highly recommend the Blue Locktite.

RZ350 Rider

KelownaKeith

I lowered my bars just last week, after 7000 km of riding and now wonder why I hadn't before.

The difference is substantial for more confident and aggressive cornering and I find it more comfortable too. I lowered them at least an inch, maybe more and adjusted the brake and clutch lever positions as well, pretty easy.

There is a reason that serious sport bikes have lower bars, it's all about the cornering. I still find the bars too wide but there's not much to be done about that.

I recommend that everyone try it, you can always set them back to their original position.

Yone

I lowered my bars just last week, after 7000 km of riding and now wonder why I hadn't before.

The difference is substantial for more confident and aggressive cornering and I find it more comfortable too. I lowered them at least an inch, maybe more and adjusted the brake and clutch lever positions as well, pretty easy.

There is a reason that serious sport bikes have lower bars, it's all about the cornering. I still find the bars too wide but there's not much to be done about that.

I recommend that everyone try it, you can always set them back to their original position.
Does it look much different? Any pics you could post?

angelsneverlose

had mine adjusted today... huge difference - feels like a new bike! i almost cant decide if i like it though. the OEM position is very comfortable, and after adjusting them forward, it transferred stress or something to my upperback/shoulders making me sore after only a short ride (an hour)... i had been going for 2 or 3 hours without stopping

Roaddawg

had mine adjusted today... huge difference - feels like a new bike! i almost cant decide if i like it though. the OEM position is very comfortable, and after adjusting them forward, it transferred stress or something to my upperback/shoulders making me sore after only a short ride (an hour)... i had been going for 2 or 3 hours without stopping
Like KelownaKeith and myself did, don't turn the mounting brackets, but just lower (or raise) the bar itself from the stock location. I used a pencil and put marks on the bar and the brackets so I could see where the stock location was. If you go down too much, your bars will hit the tank when turning to full lock. After you find the comfortable position, then you can adjust your brake/clutch levers. This made quite a difference just moving a little bit down...for me.

bmw675

when i was tieing it down to bring it home from the dealership the handlebars twisted down, the clamps were not very tight.

anyways we just turned them back up a little and locked them down. when i turn from lock to lock i have about 1/2" - 3/4" between the bar ends and the tank. just curious what kind of gap there is with stock. are mine still lower or is that about right out of the box. btw, i think it feels pretty comfortable where they are right now.

mekberg

Thanks for the video. I'll probably play with this tonight. I just got my bike back from its first service. They monkied with my bars a bit. It felt completely different when I got on it. I was a little pissed to say the least. I told the service manager my bars were changed and he denied it. I explained to him that my horn used to go off from hitting the tank if I were to turn the bars to the left full lock but now there's over an inch of clearance. I asked to speak to the tech who serviced my bike to find out what exactly he changed and why but he had already gone home for the day.

Roaddawg

Ok here is a little video I made:

Good vid. I agree with you. Less pain on the wrists and I felt more confident with the cornering too. The only negative side is how close it gets to the tank on tight turns. When I park it at work, I make a tight, slow, 180. I sometimes hit my fingers a bit, but barely.