Adjusting handlebar position

raven6

Just the opposite for me, that little extra reach puts less strain on my hands and wrist and I haven't noticed any strain in my shoulders or upper back.
same here.... did mine today then went for a 45min ride, both highway and twisties, it felt great..!!! allowed me to still sit up-right when needed and be more aggressive in the turns.... tucking in on the tank was easier too... I'm 6'1" BTW and have the seat in the lower position... should have flipped the risers when I first got the bike...

Comiha22

Decided to hop on the bandwagon this afternoon and flip the risers to the forward position. Also adjusted the handlebars down a bit.

Overall a pretty easy adjustment, although getting to the bottom riser bolts can be a little challenging. That said, it's definitely worth the time. Bike feels much quicker in the turns, and is just as easy on the hands/arms/shoulders as before.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Comiha22

FYI the torque settings are 23 ft-lb for the 2 lower (underside) riser bolts, and 17 ft-lb for the 4 top screws (the capped ones).

clsmoove

quick question guys. i went to a dealer to have this done (reversing the clamps) and he refused, saying that the arrows indicated the direction yamaha meant for it to face, and so he wouldn't reverse them.

is this switch recommended by yamaha? just curious...i really would like a more aggressive stance if possible - thx!!

icestorm

its in the manual tells you how to do it lol tell your dealer they is noob.

Have mine in the forward position atm it just feels better, but that being said after a long ride 350kms although feeling more natural the back of my right shoulder was killing me(could have been the back pack i was wearing though with some clothes and drinks in it was slightly heavy) still sore after a week .
Would have to take a long ride and i dont mean under an hour, im talking 3hrs or so without a backpack after the soreness is gone to find out for sure.

Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JnT4Life

quick question guys. i went to a dealer to have this done (reversing the clamps) and he refused, saying that the arrows indicated the direction yamaha meant for it to face, and so he wouldn't reverse them.
Actually they are right. The arrows should always be facing forward so the gap is at the rear. But the bottom part of the clamps can be rotated, pushing the bars more forward.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

is it difficult to adjust the height/ angle of the clutch lever? i think mine got moved slightly downward after my last tip over. but, i'm actually not entirely sure.

i just noticed that the brake lever is more closer to my palm, and the clutch is slightly lower... are they supposed to feel exactly the same distance from your fingers on both sides?

if so, then i guess i need to figure out how to loosen & move the clutch up a little bit. it looks like it's torqed really tight tho.

Roaddawg

is it difficult to adjust the height/ angle of the clutch lever? i think mine got moved slightly downward after my last tip over. but, i'm actually not entirely sure.

i just noticed that the brake lever is more closer to my palm, and the clutch is slightly lower... are they supposed to feel exactly the same distance from your fingers on both sides?

if so, then i guess i need to figure out how to loosen & move the clutch up a little bit. it looks like it's torqed really tight tho.
There's just one little bolt for the clutch lever bracket. Adjust it to how it feels for you. Mine is up slightly higher than my brake lever. No reason except that it feels better there.

Detrich

since it's raining in LA and i can't ride this week, i'll try to adjust it... i'm happy i went riding saturday before the rain started, even tho i froze my ass off.

winter is coming... =(

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

i adjusted my clutch lever yesterday... i used a size 8 hexa wrench from my bmw tool kit and turned it counter-clockwise to loosen it.

it was a bit difficult figuring out which height is comfortable. and, looking at the brake lever just made it more confusing, cuz that one sits higher and is wider to begin with.

but, for now, i just raised it up a little bit- ie so that viewing the handlebars straight on, the brake lever and clutch lever are on the same plane and line up horizontally. if the weather clears, i'll ride around this weekend with it like this and see if it's comfortable or not. i think it should work tho...

thanks again Roaddawg for your pointers on this.