What Not To Wear (while riding)

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

Here is a cruiser jughead I saw on the way home from work today.
He thought he was really cool and took off fast from every stop like he could outrun me. I just laughed at him.
Sandals, tee shirt, Fake DOT Kraut helmet on a Sportster.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

hey remember when dad use to give us rides at the same time

Detrich

Well, some families, bf gfs, and husband wives wanna die together or get skin grafts together.

It's not our place to judge. x_X. lol

Superzoom

For some reason, the pics with passengers wearing absolutely no gear, not even jeans, really give me an awful feeling. I'd rather ride naked and have my passenger wear all my gear than have a passenger without gear.

Add to that these young riders with their poor form are going to push it through the turns in order to impress the photographer, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

FZ6Rob85

Wow... this guy must really want to lose his feet, riding in Vibram Five Fingers? I love my vibrams, but they're no better at protecting feet than having a thick, wool sock on. Sheesh

Chevyfazer

Here's some good ones!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346600244.086074.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346600282.931047.jpg

I was actually going to wait until I wrote the description just to see what the comments were but I figure I'd just tell y'all now.

Actually met these guys over the weekend, they were wearing full leathers but would strip down to their drawers before coming up on a camera for their 2nd annual "HEY CAGE'ERS CAN YOU SEE ME KNOW" safety/full gear campaign. They do this so people can see just how stupid they look when riding with no gear. Pretty F'n awesome if you ask me, that they had the bawls to do it.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

SAFE-T

That seems the equivalent of MADD members driving drunk to raise awareness of drunk driving. :confused:
Not really, when the risk was entirely to themselves. Drunk drivers actually tend to get hurt less than the people they crash into. And there has been LOTS of media coverage over the years where people subjected themselves to alcohol and/or sleep deprivation in a controlled situation and then tried to drive a motor vehicle. So driving drunk to raise awareness of the hazards of drinking and driving is not new, either.

That aside, riding around slow is pretty low-risk. It's not no-risk, but barring some stupid-bad-luck you could certainly ride Deal's Gap without gear and come through completely unscathed. Their point is to act and look foolish in order to demonstrate the foolishness of people who make poor choices in terms of what they wear and how they ride.

SAFE-T

Jeans and Oakley's aren't gonna help ya when Soccer-Mom Sue is texting whilst calling whilst fiddling with her GPS and resetting her radio, starts drifting into yer lane, and KER-BLAMMO!
Please explain what kind of gear is going to protect my bones and joints from the impact of a 3,000lb vehicle hitting me.

I am an ATGATT guy, but many many times when I read threads like these I get the impression people think great gear is the end-all-be-all solution. You can protect against a lot of things, and in particular road rash and brain injury from crashes that would have otherwise been highly injurious if not fatal. But your back, knees, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, ankles, feet, toes, neck, and collarbone are all still highly vulnerable even with the very best equipment money can buy. Just ask Nicky Hayden or Casey Stoner ~ they have some recent experience in that area.

Wearing ATGATT is the best choice, but lets not get carried away with how super awesome we are making that choice when you're still pretty unprotected.

Fizzer6R

how come i have to keep replacing my rear shock, and tire, and chain, and...

Attachments

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

SAFE-T

I'm merely pointing out the absurdity of doing something to show others how it shouldn't be done.

My point is, it's dumb.
I thought it was fairly effective.

It is really hard to find ways to point out what NOT to do that will have any impact on those who are not listening in the first place. There is an entire branch of pyschology that studies risk-taking and risk-perception:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Risky-Is-It-Really/dp/0071629696"]Amazon.com: How Risky Is It, Really?: Why Our Fears Don't Always Match the Facts (9780071629690): David Ropeik: Books[/ame]

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited: