GPS Reviews

M

mstewar1

Dumb question here.

I notice that most folks mount gps units on a dedicated mount. I presume that this is for reasons of security, stability, and visibility.

My question is this, has anyone just put one in the clear map holder thingy on a tank bag? The reason I fear this is a dumb question is that I know most computer-type devices shouldn't be around powerful magnets, such as you would find in a magnetic tank bag, as that'll wreak havoc on memory storage media.

grommit

Dumb question here.

I notice that most folks mount gps units on a dedicated mount. I presume that this is for reasons of security, stability, and visibility.

My question is this, has anyone just put one in the clear map holder thingy on a tank bag? The reason I fear this is a dumb question is that I know most computer-type devices shouldn't be around powerful magnets, such as you would find in a magnetic tank bag, as that'll wreak havoc on memory storage media.
I put my phone and GPS puck in a magnetic tank bag. never had any problems.

Cloggy

I've put my PDA (with tomtom) and GPS antenna in my bag a couple of times, haven't had any problems with it.

N

necrotimus

Most modern electronics are electronically shielded enough that magnets will not effect them. In fact some cell phone cases sold by the phone companies have magnetic closures. Also most modern displays are not effected by the magnets.

I have verizon and have just started using vz navigator with a blue tooth headset.

B

bard

I use a Garmin 60 cx, with RAM mount which works excellent.

Reason for me going with the Garmin is they have maps from every country in the world, something TomTom and others still do not have, so in Asia such as Thailand Garmin is the best/only solution.

The 60 cx has realistically 2 full days of battery usage, waterproof, easy to use buttons while riding, fits in your pocket when you stop for a snack, all in all a great product. I bought it from recommendations from the touring experts in Thailand who is GT-Rider (Golden Triangle Rider) and have never ever regretted the buy, got it refurbished from ebay for 207 US$.

Cheers Bard

F

FZ1inNH

Time to dredge up this thread again. :D

Has anyone bought, used and would like to comment on the new TomTom Rider 2? I'm looking at this one along with the Zumo 550 as they both compare in features. This would be tied to the Scala Q2 Multiset and my phone. I know it comes with the Scala headset, but I want to Q2 set for the distance it offers. I'd likely sell the regular Scala BT headset right out of the box.

I'm wondering if the price difference between these two makes the Zumo worth the big difference. The biggest feature being the MP3 player, but I don't listen to music while riding. Personal choice. :D

Thanks all!!

S

steveindenmark

Got power!

Powerlet :: Kits

- Lift the tank up,
- unscrew the battery terminals,
- insert power lugs from the powerlet cables (black '-' and red '+')
- screw terminals back on battery (used ziptie to lift up the square PITA bolts......),
- hide wire between airbox and frame, all the way to underseat compartment,
- plug "cigarette socket power adapter to USB" cable (came with my Mio) into powerlet cigarette socket, & anchor under seat,
- run back wire from power/USB cable back to front of tank,
- drop tank

Power for GPS and my cellphone!

This is the simple way BUT do you have a fuse before the power hits your GPS because I fried my GPS on the Intruder by doing it this way.

Steve

Cloggy

Time to dredge up this thread again. :D

Has anyone bought, used and would like to comment on the new TomTom Rider 2? I'm looking at this one along with the Zumo 550 as they both compare in features..........

I'm wondering if the price difference between these two makes the Zumo worth the big difference. The biggest feature being the MP3 player, but I don't listen to music while riding. Personal choice. :D

Thanks all!!
Eric I don't know much about the tomtom rider 2 but I have the Zumo 500.

Whilst looking into GPS's a while back the main differences were that the garmin plots a route based on waypoints, whereas tomtom plots a route based on via points. The Garmin can use an endless (or a very high number of) waypoints to map a route whereas a Tomtom is limited to a certain number of via points, which quite often means that a longer route has to be split down into smaller routes (to include enough via points).

Another neat feature of the zumo is tracklog, you can basically record the route you have ridden so you can download it when you get home. You can also exchange routes (with another garmin user) via bluetooth.

The route software supplied with the Garmin (mapsource) is said to be much better than that supplied with tomtom, that is why many people use the freeware TYRE program to plan a route for a tomtom. I have used the garmin software and I find it a good program.
Because the garmin works on waypoints (coordinates) it is also handy for sailing, cycling or hiking (as long as you have a spare battery or use it sparingly through out the day, Tip, don't use bluetooth as this uses more power). Although you officially have to buy seperate maps for these activities you can also use a previously "recorded" tracklog (to follow a cyclepath for example.)

My wife has a standard tomtom for in the car and I must say I find it easy to use and I find the information given slightly easier to follow than the Garmin. In Holland Tomtom has been tested as the best GPS system to get you from A to B, and give you the best instructions to do it. The Garmin is the most versatile allowing you to plan the route exactly how you want to.

I may have a few things wrong as I have never used a Tomtom rider 2 (anybody please correct me if I'm wrong), but this is the way I understood it.

BTW I use the Plantronics pulsar 260 headset. It seems to work good, the mic is tucked away when in use but I don't want to call when riding anyway. The in ear buds aren't too bad but you have to be careful putting your helmet on, they don't really reduce much background noise. The headset simply plugs onto the bluetooth set so you can easily change it for another one if you want. I realise this is no good for talking to your passenger, but I rarely carry a passenger.

F

FZ1inNH

Thanks Martin! My first choice is the Zumo 550 but it all depends on what my bonus amout is. I have to buy the new trailer first, then the Scala Q2 Multiset then, if I have enough left over to get the Zumo, I will but the difference in price is $250 and the large missing feature of the TomTom is MP3 playback. I do know the TomTom Rider 2 has fixed some of the shortcomings you've mentioned. But I also know that motorcyclists prefer the Zumo so I'm hoping the bonus is enough to get the better unit. :D I really appreciate your imput! Thanks!!

Here's a link to the new TomTom Features: http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=354&Category=1&Lid=4

TomTom by default has a lot of the features disabled to keep the screen glove/motorcycle friendly. But you can enable them.

Zumo has a specific motorcycle mode though, the lock feature that requires the PIN or taken to a secure "unlock" area you define. It also has the "Need Gas" feature and auto-routes when it knows you are low on fuel. And, while not so important for me, it has MP3 and allows outgoing calls while moving. TomTom allows outgoing when stopped only.

It comes down to money and I might have to settle for second best. :(

R

rider1a

I use a Garmin 60 cx, with RAM mount which works excellent.

Reason for me going with the Garmin is they have maps from every country in the world, something TomTom and others still do not have, so in Asia such as Thailand Garmin is the best/only solution.

The 60 cx has realistically 2 full days of battery usage, waterproof, easy to use buttons while riding, fits in your pocket when you stop for a snack, all in all a great product. I bought it from recommendations from the touring experts in Thailand who is GT-Rider (Golden Triangle Rider) and have never ever regretted the buy, got it refurbished from ebay for 207 US$.

Cheers Bard
+1

I also use the Garmin 60 Cx (w/RAM mounts), mainly for it's ability to work up to 20 hours on two AA batteries, waterproof, Mini SD memory expansion for unlimited storage, shockproof, small, able to be used for multiple outdoor activities including hiking, mountain biking (with special TOPO maps for terrain contour display) and of course motorcycling.

Due to it's size, the screen may be a bit too small for some people wanting a large GPS display screen. That to me is the only negative. Oh, it does not have a MP3 player for those wanting to listen to:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqsln_RVCg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqsln_RVCg[/ame]

Fred

asmconchis

Voice activated... nice!

The main reason why I did not even consider the Tom Tom line is because of their design... they are pretty thick (at least the ones I had seen) and have a weird round shape which makes them difficult to mount... is that why you could not find a Ram mount for it?

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective...

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

I don't use a GPS on my street bike because if you don't know where you are going on a bike, you are in deep doo doo.

I have a Magellon 1470 I can use but it's impossible to hear "Bitching Betty" while driving a motorcycle.

For any type of speed run or a place that I want to track and go back to with all the data on PC later I use my Garmin Forerunner 205. I have a wristwatch mount for it on my NSR50R that I use to determine my race stats. It is a whole lot better than that MyLaps crap we get with the transponder. It just times us and extrapolates the speed and such. The Garmin shows us true speed into each corner and true speed at every point on the course and I can put it into Google Earth to see the real deal.
I use it to inline skate to determine how far I've skated and it works great for getting ready for a marathon on skates or running too. I use it for my road bicycle training too.

They are cheap
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Sports-Watch/dp/B000CSQJ8C"]Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS Receiver and Sports Watch: Garmin: Electronics[/ame]

plus mount
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Bicycle-Mount-Kit/dp/B000VK5BMQ/ref=pd_cp_e_3"]Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner Bicycle Mount Kit: Electronics[/ame]

Last edited: