GPS Reviews

Nelly

Re: Need power for my GPS

Most people seem to opt for the underseat tray instalation. Is there a particular advantage to this?
My socket is wateproof and has an in-line fuse. I have connected it in between the ignition barrel. The down side is that I end up with an excess of GPS connector cable. This just wraps around the front brake master cylinder (the fluid filled bit on top of the bars I think thats what its called) and secured with a rubber

Nelly

K

killernoodle

Most people seem to opt for the underseat tray instalation. Is there a particular advantage to this?
My socket is wateproof and has an in-line fuse. I have connected it in between the ignition barrel. The down side is that I end up with an excess of GPS connector cable. This just wraps around the front brake master cylinder (the fluid filled bit on top of the bars I think thats what its called) and secured with a rubber

Nelly
That is why I put it there!

I plug it in under the seat, run it under the tank, and it has just enough cord coming up through the handlebars to reach my RAM mount and provide plenty of movement.

Also, its hidden down there and I dont have fairings to mount it to anyways.

Plus, if I want to charge my cell phone or camera or something, I can just leave it all under the seat so nobody can steal it :)

K

kalel3914

Not a gps, but I use my Ericsson K850i phone with google maps when I get too far off the beaten path (lost). The newer versions of google maps find your location within 200-1700 meters based on the cell towers you use, and with 3.5g network, it's every bit as fast as a gps, and you can google restaurants, gas stations, business names etc. to find location, directions, phone #, all from the application. I have to pull over and get my phone out to use it, but it's safer that way anyway, and as a fedex driver, I can remember whatever directions it gives me pretty well while enroute. It's the only option I feel I need, and if your phone accepts mobile java (most do these days) and you have a decent network, you're all set.

Nelly

That is why I put it there!

I plug it in under the seat, run it under the tank, and it has just enough cord coming up through the handlebars to reach my RAM mount and provide plenty of movement.

Also, its hidden down there and I dont have fairings to mount it to anyways.

Plus, if I want to charge my cell phone or camera or something, I can just leave it all under the seat so nobody can steal it :)
I am begining to think that I will go that route to. The weather this weekend loks to be wet, wet + soaking wet lol. We have got our first meet and I dont want to blow a fuse.
I am having real problems trying to find a colour map that works well in bright sun light.
What do you guys run?

Nelly

Not a gps, but I use my Ericsson K850i phone with google maps when I get too far off the beaten path (lost). The newer versions of google maps find your location within 200-1700 meters based on the cell towers you use, and with 3.5g network, it's every bit as fast as a gps, and you can google restaurants, gas stations, business names etc. to find location, directions, phone #, all from the application. I have to pull over and get my phone out to use it, but it's safer that way anyway, and as a fedex driver, I can remember whatever directions it gives me pretty well while enroute. It's the only option I feel I need, and if your phone accepts mobile java (most do these days) and you have a decent network, you're all set.
R you related to Numpty?

Cloggy

I found this link in a Dutch computer magazine TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere) it is a program for among other things converting a route in google maps to a TomTom file. I've never used this program as I don't have a TomTom for the bike. As I understood it one of the biggest draw backs of the TomTom compared to the Garmin was that it was not supplied with software for planning bike routes, this way you can plan a route in google maps and transfer this to your TomTom.

There are probably other programs which can do the same thing but I'm a newbie with navigation aids for the bike.

Just a bit of trivia information, this program was written by a Dutch priest who is also a bike rider.

C

CHEMIKER

Great thread, thanks for starting this! I've been trying to find a thread like this for a while but GPS has too few characters to show up on the search. Since this thread has so much good info but is hard to find, can we sticky it?

M

mikebike

I have a Zumo 550 like ANTmb and love it .... just did the Gap Rally over 1800 miles and navigation was a breeze

:thumbup:

H

HavBlue

I have a map or maps which I generally don't use as that would take all the fun out of it for me. Now, if they made a GPS with a RADAR or LASER jammer that would interest me.:thumbup:

Cloggy

Here is another helpful GPS route converter I picked up from the Dutch forum ITNConv, thanks "S@ND3R"

B

bcutter

I currently have a e-Trex LegendCX with ram mounts
Pros--Is upgradable with SD cards if you had to go across the country
:thumbup: Small & Color screen
Garmin interface
Battery or can be wired directly

Cons--Not crash protected

:eek:
Keep it rubber side down,

Bill

O

OneTrack

Here's my GPS setup.
I have mounted my TomTom GO 720 into a RAM mount, and installed a power outlet on the left inner fairing. I've wired the outlet directly to the battery terminals, with a 10A fuse inline on the power side close to the battery. I'm still undecided as to whether it should be ignition controlled or not.

Wolfman

Hey,
Just thought i would share my latest addition to my bike. My new Garmin Nuvi 310 GPS.

For those looking for an affordable, easy to install, and easy to use GPS, this could be a good option IMHO.

First of all, installation was a breeze, and anyone with either a faired fz6s, or a naked fz6n with a small screen, should have no problems. The unit comes with a neat lever operated suction cap...which does not come off unless you release it witrh the lever.

Attached to this suction cap is a swivelling arm, which moves up & down. At the end of this arm is a round ball, which then fits into a bracket with ball insert that attaches via release clip to the unit. This gives you a massive range of 360" movement.

The unit itself has blue tooth and with a mobile phone and blue tooth headset attached, the unit will take your calls, and you can speak to people thruogh the wireless bluetooth headset with microphones...i had to buy the bluetooth headset seperately. Headset also enables you to get voice instructions from the unit, as the speaker is useless on the bike!

Unit does all the normal GPS things, like traffic camera alerts, trip meters, ave speed, mp3 player, picture viewer, memory card support.

It has good touch screen control, which can be used easily with winter gloves on, and screen is easily read during both day & night.

The unit was cheap to buy considering all the features, about $500 Australian, and the wireless bluetooth headset with microphone was about $50.

It all works very well.

Just thought i would share, as i have not seen a lot of info re GPS systems for bikes anywhere.

Here's some photo's of the unit on the bike, and the brackets, etc.

Attachments