Another mirror mod.

porky45

i got them in on friday, but i've been busy. should get them installed tomorrow for you guys.

ksanbon

I got my mirrors yesterday from the following source:

2007 - 2008 KAWASAKI ZX6R ZX 6R 6RR ZX6RR MIRRORS - eBay (item 130380455660 end time Aug-01-10 23:32:10 PDT)

Notes
1. Great quality, 7-day delivery. Total was about $31 USD.
2. The first picture in the ad isn't right as it appears there's only 1 mounting bolt, but the actual mirrors fit perfectly.
3. I'm not sure the rubber Yamaha base-cover is necessary. The fit is fair, but I only used it to hide the depression built into the cowling.
4. I agree w/ everyone on effectiveness. It's hard to see anything directly behind w/o moving my head.

BTW, what's the best way to remove the plastic quick-fasteners?

Finally, THANK YOU Bondgirl!

JonKerr

Elite Member

porky45

i'll update this post with pictures later on this evening.

The pictures do most of the talking.

The Kawi mirrors are actually a tad bit lower than the R6s mirrors.

The Mist/Rain in july in San Diego (WTF?!?!) has kept me off the bike so i can't comment on the visibility difference yet.

I will not that the adjustability of the Kawi mirrors seems to be infinite.

MikeN02

i'll update this post with pictures later on this evening.

The pictures do most of the talking.

The Kawi mirrors are actually a tad bit lower than the R6s mirrors.

The Mist/Rain in july in San Diego (WTF?!?!) has kept me off the bike so i can't comment on the visibility difference yet.

I will not that the adjustability of the Kawi mirrors seems to be infinite.
I would assume that the Kawi mirrors would be wider. Are they the same width?

porky45

So...

pic 1 Kawi on the left and R6s on the right.

pic 2 both kawi mirrors.

update : I've learned this morning that my picture is deceiving! I had to raise the mirrors up a bit as I was looking at my hands. height wise they are probably just a hair below the R6s mirrors. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else had this problem, my mirrors reflection is distorted like i'm in a fun house or something. I haven't windexed them or anything yet so i dont' know if there is any film that will come off.

has anyone else had this happen to them?

Attachments

Last edited:

PVD_FZ6R

Here are a few pics of the Kawi '09 ZX-6R mirrors I picked up off ebay. They will require some drilling since the bolt spacing is not the same. I took it out for a quick spin and after some slight adjustments all I can say is WOW!!! I can actually see behind me now w/o having to bring my elbows in.

I was using the Trojan mirrors before and would rate those about 3 out of 10.
I would rate these a strong 8 out of 10. I think they look perfect on the bike and I didn't notice any vibration up on the highway.

Obviously, the biggest drawback is that you will need to create a new hole in the plastics and metal. Make sure to tape off the area around and underneath so that the tiny metal shavings don't land on the floor or your paint.

kevcoop

Wow, I didnt have to drill any holes and my Kawi mirrors are not distorted either. Must be differant manufactures, sorry to here about those two things.

MikeN02

Wow, I didnt have to drill any holes and my Kawi mirrors are not distorted either. Must be differant manufactures, sorry to here about those two things.
SO long story short, after small research I found that the Kawasaki OEM ZX6R 07-08 mirror has the same bolt pattern as our mirror.
NO DRILLING. cool!!!!

Here are a few pics of the Kawi '09 ZX-6R mirrors I picked up off ebay.
Different Years.

MikeN02

So...

pic 1 Kawi on the left and R6s on the right.

pic 2 both kawi mirrors.

update : I've learned this morning that my picture is deceiving! I had to raise the mirrors up a bit as I was looking at my hands. height wise they are probably just a hair below the R6s mirrors. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else had this problem, my mirrors reflection is distorted like i'm in a fun house or something. I haven't windexed them or anything yet so i dont' know if there is any film that will come off.

has anyone else had this happen to them?
Judging from the position of the mirrors without being able to use them which would you say is better?

porky45

Judging from the position of the mirrors without being able to use them which would you say is better?
good question.

Assuming the quality of mirror on both were the same, I think that the Kawi mirrors are better for the adjust-ability factor.

Rat

BondGirl, thank you so much!

Installed that yesterday.
Looks just great and I would say those mirrors provide better vision than ugly "stock" mirrors (maybe it's just first impression but I definitely can't complain).

Last edited:

lmacasiljig

Same here... Thank you thank you... I installed mine last week. Awesome!

columbus2382

can u get the kaw. mirrors for that year in carbon fiber?

columbus2382

ksanbon the carbon fiber miirors on that link are they the same bolt pattern of the mirrors bondgurl was talkin about

ksanbon

I can't tell you for sure because I got the black ones from Taiwan. I would be very surprised if they don't fit.

They do look right, and the 2005-2008 zx6r's match the fz6r bolt pattern.
You might send them an e-mail to check. I measured my broken stock mirror and the bolt spacing is 4cm (center to center)

Keith

columbus2382

thanks i see the exact year she said in carbon fiber thx for the measurements i was just about to look that up

columbus2382

well i ordered my oes black frame sliders pretty nice lookin the site is oesaccessories.com cheaper then ebay by 25 bucks if any oneis lookin for some. also order the 07 08 zx6r carbon fiber mirrors (hope they fit) ordered my black fz6r carbon look grips and carbon fiber bar ends. should all be here this week cant wait.

Steviet

For those of you that are going to do this make sure you get the mirrors that are made in Taiwan. The mirrors that are made in China are horrendous, I believe I read one commented in this thread say they look like "fun house mirrors". They do, and I returned mine. I got the ones made in Taiwan and they look fantastic from a quality a fit standpoint.

They definitely don't offer better viewing than the stock but they aren't dangerous in my opinion.

Also, mine vibrate a little at idle but are real smooth at and speed or RPM.

Steve

Last edited: