Information Oil Pressure Gauge

tdnathens

Hi; As many of you know our FZ6R's have no oil pressure gauge or warning light. The bikes have an oil LEVEL warning light but that's it. It's always bothered me that my oil pump could fail and I would not know it until the engine locked up. I've had oil pump failures twice on machinery before. The pressure gauge saved the engines. This motorcycle is the only vehicle I have ever owned without an oil pressure gauge or light. I removed the oil main gallery bolt located on the lower left side of the engine. I installed an adaptor that takes this o-ring bolt thread to 1/8" pipe thread. I ran a 1/8" copper line up to the flat black plastic fairing on the left side next to the fuel tank. I used a inch and a half hole saw bit to make an opening for a inch and a half liquid filled 100 pound gauge. I slipped a 1/4" OD black rubber hose over the copper line to protect it and hide it. I purchased the oil pressure adaptor from FTZracing.com. It cost under $20.00 shipped and can be used for oil line, oil pressure sending unit or oil temperature sending unit.
Yamaha oil pressure specifications are for 34.1 psi @ 6600 RPM. @ 167 to 185 degrees F. oil temperature. (I take this to be the minimum oil pressure acceptable) The oil relief valve opening pressure is 71 to 83 psi. These are the only specifications listed in the factory service manual. My bike has 2100 miles on it. Fresh oil is full synthetic 15w50. Fully warmed up with normal driving for 45 minutes @ 80 to 90 degrees F my bike carries 40 to 45 psi @ 6600. My engine water temperature is 195 to 210 at this time. I feel much better knowing that I at least have oil pressure.
Tom

Jerzee55

Hi; As many of you know our FZ6R's have no oil pressure gauge or warning light. The bikes have an oil LEVEL warning light but that's it. It's always bothered me that my oil pump could fail and I would not know it until the engine locked up. I've had oil pump failures twice on machinery before. The pressure gauge saved the engines. This motorcycle is the only vehicle I have ever owned without an oil pressure gauge or light. I removed the oil main gallery bolt located on the lower left side of the engine. I installed an adaptor that takes this o-ring bolt thread to 1/8" pipe thread. I ran a 1/8" copper line up to the flat black plastic fairing on the left side next to the fuel tank. I used a inch and a half hole saw bit to make an opening for a inch and a half liquid filled 100 pound gauge. I slipped a 1/4" OD black rubber hose over the copper line to protect it and hide it. I purchased the oil pressure adaptor from FTZracing.com. It cost under $20.00 shipped and can be used for oil line, oil pressure sending unit or oil temperature sending unit.
Yamaha oil pressure specifications are for 34.1 psi @ 6600 RPM. @ 167 to 185 degrees F. oil temperature. (I take this to be the minimum oil pressure acceptable) The oil relief valve opening pressure is 71 to 83 psi. These are the only specifications listed in the factory service manual. My bike has 2100 miles on it. Fresh oil is full synthetic 15w50. Fully warmed up with normal driving for 45 minutes @ 80 to 90 degrees F my bike carries 40 to 45 psi @ 6600. My engine water temperature is 195 to 210 at this time. I feel much better knowing that I at least have oil pressure.
Tom
Tom, Please consider posting pictures of your mods. I (for one) would really like to see both what you did, and how you did it, and the final results. Thank you,
Jerry

tdnathens

(Jerzee55) Sorry, I don't have the ability to post pictures. Don't even have a smart phone to take pictures with. You can go to FTZracing.com to see the adaptor used. This is a standard gauge adaptor and can be purchased on Amazon, e-bay or any auto racing site. The adaptor sold by FTZ racing is the only one that uses an 0-ring like the Yamaha engine block. The gauge I used is made by Marshall Instruments, part # CWB00100. You can see it on their site, Amazon or e-bay. The only other items used was an oil pressure gauge copper line kit and a black 1/4" OD black rubber hose. Hope this helps.
Tom

Jerzee55

(Jerzee55) Sorry, I don't have the ability to post pictures. Don't even have a smart phone to take pictures with. You can go to FTZracing.com to see the adaptor used. This is a standard gauge adaptor and can be purchased on Amazon, e-bay or any auto racing site. The adaptor sold by FTZ racing is the only one that uses an 0-ring like the Yamaha engine block. The gauge I used is made by Marshall Instruments, part # CWB00100. You can see it on their site, Amazon or e-bay. The only other items used was an oil pressure gauge copper line kit and a black 1/4" OD black rubber hose. Hope this helps.
Tom
Thanks Tom. I will check the parts out. :) Wanted to see the finished product.. But if you ever have a chance, try to get someone to take, (so you can post) pictures. :)
Jerry