What Not To Wear (while riding)

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

Saw two guys riding up in ACH today wearing T-shirt & jeans. I have no problem that ppl want to ride like SQUIDs in canyons. But, what does annoy me is when they don't know proper riding etiquette. lol...

So as I'm approaching the first slow guy, he sees me but then keeps speeding up every time I try to pass him. But, then he cant sustain the speed and keeps panic breaking before each turn. I'm scratching my head thinking, "ok, this isn't safe." So I back off to not pressure him and finally pass him on a short sweeper. And, I still give him the courteous thumbs up. But, man, that was hella annoying. lol... Wonder why some ppl do stuff like that. x.X

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

DevlDog

Saw two guys riding up in ACH today wearing T-shirt & jeans. I have no problem that ppl want to ride like SQUIDs in canyons. But, what does annoy me is when they don't know proper riding etiquette. lol...

So as I'm approaching the first slow guy, he sees me but then keeps speeding up every time I try to pass him. But, then he cant sustain the speed and keeps panic breaking before each turn. I'm scratching my head thinking, "ok, this isn't safe." So I back off to not pressure him and finally pass him on a short sweeper. And, I still give him the courteous thumbs up. But, man, that was hella annoying. lol... Wonder why some ppl do stuff like that. x.X
Unwarranted pride and ego man.

Detrich

It's also funny seeing ppl's t-shirts flapping in the wind and their backs nearly completely exposed.

They want to learn the hard way I guess. Sigh

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

Rode down ACH & UBTCR with these older guys from NCR. One of them rides with socks and Birkenstocks. :headshake: But, the guy on the K1200S was a really excellent rider.

I followed him down UBTCR, and I really learned a thing or two. Not only was he flying (90+), but his lines were so precise, turns so smooth, and he rode with such ease and conviction that I was like WOW trying to keep up.

Weirdest thing too is that he didn't even once lean off the bike. He was glued to the seat the entire way through, yet he also never had his bike super leaned over either. Just really short, precise turns every time. Like a grand master of riding or something. Gotta respect the grandpas, and I hope I run into them again next week. My riding will improve a lot if ride behind them I think. lol.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Detrich

I know. I still don't have a camera of any kind. It's another complicated thing that I dunno where to begin to deal with. lol... >.<.

Wish I did tho. That guy was hands down one of the very best riders I've ever followed. :am not worthy:

BoneJj

I know. I still don't have a camera of any kind. It's another complicated thing that I dunno where to begin to deal with. lol... >.<.

Wish I did tho. That guy was hands down one of the very best riders I've ever followed. :am not worthy:
For helmet camera I would recommend the Drift Ghost HD, it's a pretty damn good camera.

Detrich

Damn. $300... Is there something cheaper.
lol. x.X

Hellgate

He's actually known for not having the best form in the world. Not that it's bad, but just not as exaggerated as a lot of the other guys he's racing with. That pic doesn't look all that bad, just not tucked right up into the tank. I think the worst pro racer I've seen with the outside knee thing is Jules Cluzel. Drove me nuts all year last year watching him win races in World Supersport (we don't get World Superbike or Supersport here anymore :mad: ) with that outside knee sticking out like this. lol If you really look at the picture, it's because he sticks his outside toes out.

The difference is these guys are FAST lol. They have a talent that the rest of us could only dream of ever having. They can overcome less than perfect technique with pure skill. Larry Pegram is actually a perfect example. One insanely fast racer. But some of the most god awful form I think I've ever seen. And he's well known for it. (I read somewhere that it's actually the way he's had to adapt his riding due to an old hip injury) But he's so insanely crossed up it's crazy. Lee Parks actually uses him as an example throughout his whole book Total Control as a perfect example of what NOT to do. Lee does go on to say that Larry is by far a faster rider than he is. But that he's adapted to an inefficient style that would cause major issues for those who are less talented. I mean look at these two pics below. It's pretty obvious that Larry is using more lean angle and more energy, yet probably going significantly slower than Josh Herrin below him.

Larry

Josh

It's just all how these guys who have the major talent learn to ride. Here's a perfect example of two different techniques on the exact same bike. Josh Hayes, the most dominant rider in the AMA since Mat Mladin and quite possibly the fastest American in the world behind Ben Spies and Nicky Hayden and he's much more upright on the bike. Doesn't hang off quite so much, etc... Compared to Josh Herrin his teammate right behind him. Both are fast and talented. But Herrin is more "technically" correct. Hayes is faster though (right now at least ;) ) If you tried to make Josh Hayes ride with the same exact form that Herrin has, he'd probably screw himself up so much he'd end up on the ground.

Riding technique is something that's evolving over time. Look at most of the GP racers from the 50's and 60's, they're sitting bolt upright on the bikes. Then guys from the 70's and 80's started hanging off the bike and dragging their knees. But they're all riding super crossed up. Then guys like Rossi came along and started getting more of their upper body over and they realized that was more effective and efficient. Now it's Marquez and a few of the other Moto2 guys who've taken hanging off to a whole new level, dragging elbow around the track.

There's no perfect form. But there's proper form that lets you get the most out of your skill level.

Now back to our regularly scheduled :squid:
Larry's simply old school. We all rode that way back in the '80s. Check out Schwatz, rides the same way today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hellgate

Here's my contribution.

uploadfromtaptalk1380592814396.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Detrich

Josh Herrin is going to Moto2 next season

jfont

I believe his sweats will protect him well enough along with the brain bucket.

Attachments

DevlDog

I get the whole 'I know so-and-so got killed riding their motorcycle by a deer.' pretty often, and then I'm like, "Well did they have on a full helmet? DId they have on boots, or a riding jacket, or whatever?' Answer is usually no. Little skullcap helmet and t-shirt and whatever.

In fact, someone just passed away recently from a motorcycle wreck not a few miles up the road from my house for that same exact reason. Don't know what he was wearing gear-wise, but I'm willing to bet a few bucks that it wasn't what he should have been wearing.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member