New to the Forum

MIRIDER

I've been looking at bikes for a long time.

I always thought I was a Harley Fat Boy kind of bike person. Then I went to the 2011 Bike show in Novi, Michigan and my wife pointed out the Yamaha
FZ6R Copper and Raven.
I've been going crazy over it ever since and plan on buying one this spring.

My riding experience is limited and everything I've read on this bike seems to be a great bike to start out on.

I really like this Copper and Raven color, however, I just found some left over 2009 at a dealer for $4499.00. They are brand new, just never sold.

Now I'm stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place. I really like the new Copper and Raven color combo on the 2011. But, $4499.00 for brand new left overs is a great price. I would get the solid black over the blue, yellow or white one.

So do I save the $3000.00 and get the 2009, or get the color combo I really like?

Any pros or cons anyone can give me about the bike would be much appreciated as well. As I stated, my experience is limited but I'm ready to jump in and start riding.

Thanks for your input in advance.:Sport:

MikeN02

Depends on how long you want to keep the bike. There's always something new or shiny that catches your eye since technology is always improving.

If I were in your shoes I'd get the left over models and if you feel bored get it painted. I'm sure getting it painted/powder coating the wheels isn't more than $3000. Use the money for mods on the bike and trust me, any sport bike rider will indeed mod their bikes.

Get good gear as well, everyone can't stress this enough.

Pros:
Great beginner bike, lots of power. Goes about 45 or 50 mph in first gear if I recall. Tops out about 130ish. Sport Touring bike so it's upright position is comfortable for longer rides. Gas mileage is good (about 40 MPG). Gas gauge, in-line 4, fuel injection, great bike for beginner that you won't get bored, great bike for people who want to ride sport bikes but want to be comfortable, change the seat height for tall or shorter riders

Cons:
Lack of after-market mods (being new and all), Stock exhaust is quiet

shocker35

I was at that show too and saw the copper one and really liked it but I wouldnt pay full tag price for an '11. I found one all black and decided to go with that one, believe me the black is sweet with the metallic paint. Mine is still at the dealership waiting for spring but if you want to get together if ya buy a bike for some rides I love near the palace. I like the bike even though have yet to really ride it.(rode a dif bike of same model) and everyone else seems to love it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

It depends on what $3K means to you. It means a lot to me, so I would go for the '09. that's a great price!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

bruce

I really like the Copper and Raven color too but I bought a blue left over 2009 at a dealer for $4999.00 in December. As far as I know, the only difference between the 2009 & 2011 is the color (but I may be misinformed). For me, the extra dollars for the color wasn't worth it.

MIRIDER

Yeah, Mike made that point in his post, which makes perfect sense. Save the $3k and spend it on good gear and mods if I wish. I'm gonna want a nice helmet, gloves, shoes/boots and jacket at the very least.

I'm gonna email the dealer today and get the ball rolling. See what they have left in stock.
Shocker I may be contacting you very soon.

shocker35

sounds good man. i think the dealer i bought mine from may have an 09 black left in stock, motor city powersports. if you search them their website comes up. I dont know how close you are. and i know macomb powersports may have a black one left in stock too. i know great lakes powersports only has white if any left.

MikeN02

Yeah, Mike made that point in his post, which makes perfect sense. Save the $3k and spend it on good gear and mods if I wish. I'm gonna want a nice helmet, gloves, shoes/boots and jacket at the very least.

I'm gonna email the dealer today and get the ball rolling. See what they have left in stock.
Shocker I may be contacting you very soon.
Try to talk to the dealership, if they have them left-over that means they aren't selling in that area. Maybe throw in a Shoei or Arai helmet. Then there's the debate whether or not to get extended warranty or tire coverage. Extended warranty is on you, 2 members I know of on here one of the bikes melted and the other one had the front brake locked up.

Tire coverage is not worth it at all imo. I got it never used it and told them to cancel it, my friend has it but he answered my question, they only give you stock tires. You'd have to pay the difference if you want after-market tires and believe me, you want to go after-market after stock. I didn't believe everyone when they said different tires made a difference but I was amazed how much they stick in corners even though I'm a straight roads person.

Get a nice helmet that will fit and is comfortable. DoT and if possible Snell as well. The higher up you go in helmets for pricing the extra bells and whistles (quieter, better air flow, vents, material, anti-fog).

k6gad

First of all...Welcome to the forum!

Second....save your money and buy the 09. In a year or two you may want a different bike anyway. Either way enjoy!

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

MIRIDER

Welcome. My opinion here, (won't come as a surprise to most everyone who knows me on here as a gear nazi ;) ) save the money, buy the 09, and buy some good quality, full riding gear. Helmet, armored jacket, good leather riding gloves, armored riding pants, and good riding boots. You could even get two full sets of gear for different types of riding. Get a full 2 pc leather suit, track boots for weekend canyon carving, good riding pants, boots, and a good textile or even leather daily riding jacket for commuter type riding. Good gloves, back protector, maybe back and chest protector, and a good helmet can be used with both. All for less than that $3000 paint scheme.
Good info. :thumbup:
Canyon carving won't be an issue here in Michigan, we do have some great areas to ride in.
All of you are giving me some good input and I thank you for it. I have plenty to take in and consider. More then I thought. Good to think about now and not out on the road and find out the hard way.

Last edited:

MIRIDER

Get the 09... after a year or two you will get tired of the color anyway. You can get the whole body- fuel tank for less then $500.00 or so on ebay. Plenty of paint scheme to choose from...that's what I might do. But yellow is fast!!!
Yes, yellow is fast, but I already have this for that.

I just want to ride for fun. However, something tells me once I get more used to this bike I may be wanting more and more speed.

JSP

Super Moderator

shocker35

of course its a vette, dont really see too many foreign cars here with the big 3. sweet car man.

Spunky99

The yellow 2009 FZ6Rs are the fastest......

Get a matching bike/car combo...
Besides you will have 3K of $$ left over for awesome gear.

Welcome to the forum.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

WANDERER

I really like the Copper and Raven color too but I bought a blue left over 2009 at a dealer for $4999.00 in December. As far as I know, the only difference between the 2009 & 2011 is the color (but I may be misinformed). For me, the extra dollars for the color wasn't worth it.
Was this your OTD price, or plus all the fees? Where did you get it, I'm looking for the best deal also?