Helmet Visors

What Color Visor?

• Total voters

danieljardim

Yeah, but it beats having to carry an extra one for changing conditions.

I spoke too soon on selling my smoke visor. My helmet fell off the 6R's tank when I closed my top case and landed right on the visor. Has some nice scratches on it. Guess I'll be keeping that one now. :mad:

Better the visor than the helmet though. Only a very small scuff right below the chin vent. :rolleyes:

But that's not the worst thing I did over the past couple of days. I'll save the other thing for it's own thread in the Hall of Shame forum.
I was told that if you drop the helmet you have to replace it. :confused:

BKP

I was told that if you drop the helmet you have to replace it. :confused:
Depends on "the drop." I actually had mine checked out, after my mishap. They told me it takes a more significant impact, not typically a short drop, to collapse the inner liner. They *are* built to "self destruct" on impact, but they're hardly as delicate as eggs...

Alex6

I wear glasses also. I have the transition lenses, but I still prefer the dark smoke shield for day ridding, and if I know the night will catch me riding I'm taking my clear shield with me and put it inside my jacket on one side of my mid section. In my case that's a perfect fit.
This is the great idea! I hate the thought to use a tank bag just for a spare shield. I should try this.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Brock Kickass

I answered other, please describe, so here it is: I have a clear visor with a tinted visor inside my helmet that can be raised or lowered independently of my main visor. I love it, because I never have to pull over and switch visors when the light changes, and on a long trip it's one less thing in my pack. Also, I'll never break a visor in my backpack that way. Also, in town on sunny days I can flip up my visor for airflw and leave the tinted one down to keep the sun out and to keep a bee or rock from flying in to my retina. Overall, I think it's the best system going. It does not look nearly as cool as a mirrored visor, though. (I'm not being sarcastic, I really like how mirrired visors look)

BKP

I answered other, please describe, so here it is: I have a clear visor with a tinted visor inside my helmet that can be raised or lowered independently of my main visor. I love it, because I never have to pull over and switch visors when the light changes, and on a long trip it's one less thing in my pack. Also, I'll never break a visor in my backpack that way. Also, in town on sunny days I can flip up my visor for airflw and leave the tinted one down to keep the sun out and to keep a bee or rock from flying in to my retina. Overall, I think it's the best system going. It does not look nearly as cool as a mirrored visor, though. (I'm not being sarcastic, I really like how mirrired visors look)
+1

I'm a helmet collector, but the explanation above is why my Scorpion exo1100 is my favorite (along with the fact that it fits great -- and I *do* have a gold mirrored visor for it, as well--because the gold mirror with a matte black helmet is sooo alien)...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

Here is my next visor. Pushing a button to go from clear to black is uber cool.

TINT ON DEMAND VISORS

Detrich

i put dark smoke shields on all my 3 helmets. for the HJC IS-16, which has an internal sun shield, i've noticed that for dusk rides, it's extra awesome. when the sun gets too strong, i just push down the internal sun shield and i get extra shade. for night rides, i just put the clear back on. HJC's shield release mechanism has got to be one of the easiest to use. i always hurt my fingers BEYOND when changing the shield on the AGV GP-TECH. so much so, that i don't even change the shield on it anymore and only wear it during the day if i can. it pinches your fingers like a bitch.

Spunky99

I pulled the trigger on the Akuma shield.
It fits and fills the entire view port of the helmet, comes with a new clear shield and has double the battery life of this one below.

So if you don't have a Shoei or Akuma helmet, this one will work just fine and no more swapping shields at night Detrich and it'll still work for the double smoke screen effect.

e-Tint AX-10 Auto Tint Faceshield Insert - RevZilla

dsanchez222

My helmet only has a clear visor on. I usually put on a pair of sunglasses under my helmet though. They are also shatter resistant in order to hopefully keep shards of plastic out of my eyes if I go down.

Spunky99

My helmet only has a clear visor on. I usually put on a pair of sunglasses under my helmet though. They are also shatter resistant in order to hopefully keep shards of plastic out of my eyes if I go down.
The difference between clip-ons or sunglasses and a dark visor is that the dark visor cuts down on the sunlight on your face. All the heat is accumulative in the helmet and it's especially a problem in AZ, CA, NV, NM and TX. We have lots of sun and the face gets tons of sun. I wear glasses and I only have a clear shield too so I use clip-ons but they are polarized as well as my clear visor so all the colors and sometimes the image is screwed up.

Crpngdth

damn now nim all worked up. i cant wait to freak some people out at stoplights haha. i can see it now. lookin over, giving the head nod and bam, black shield.

Fizzi6ergal

Those are awesome sheilds. I've always ran a tinted sheild. On the new icons, they came out with the HD shield that comes as a second shield when you buy specific helmets. I tried it when I got my new alliance, but I didn't like how I could see nose up close and personal while riding. The effects of the HD sheild is awesome though. Makes everything more clear. More vibrant if you will. The reason why the chromed out visors are only a light smoke is because the dark smoke on a chromed visor would make it way too dark and wouldn't make them DOT approved. I ride illegal at night, I don't have a license plate light or ride with a clear sheild. It's dangerous, but Icons are a pain in the ass to change a shield on sometimes.

Spunky99

damn now nim all worked up. i cant wait to freak some people out at stoplights haha. i can see it now. lookin over, giving the head nod and bam, black shield.
It gets even better.
I run a contour camera and it has dual lasers to assist in setting the horizontal angle of the cam. (If it had 3 beams it would be "Predator" perfect).
I stopped the other day next to a car of hot school girls and they were looking at me and my bike and making all kinds of noise yelling and going nutz. I was running the helmet without a dark shield as it was cloudy. (They had no idea how old I was..LOL).
So I hit the button on my cam to activate the lasers (they turn on for 60 seconds) pointed it towards them to get their attention and then hit the dark button on the helmet....
They totally freaked.....and sat there after the light turned green and I took off....totally silent....ha ha ha ha