Helmet Visors

What Color Visor?

• Total voters
I've either use a clear shield with sunglasses or have a smoke shield then use some lear glasses if i stay out after dark.

Clear outer, dark smoke inner. The replacement cost for outer shield is excessive.:rant:

Clear for the morning (4:30AM) ride to work and then the tinted for the ride home. Just got a mirrored visor today so will probably start using that more.

Clear with a Pinlock insert... It WILL NOT fog no matter what - I can wear sunglasses for the sun to not deal with a fogging shield. Best thing ever...

Just the other day I was out longer than expect and rode home with a tinted visor. Wasn't that bad as I had a lot of street lights but I noticed something was a bit off as car lights in my mirrors weren't as blinding and I remembered I had my tint on!

Also if anyone didn't know already, friend who works at cycle gear said that Mirror shields won't last as long as smoke shields, kind of understand why as my chrome mirror the tint is off in a lot of places so I went with a blue mirror this time.

Clear with a Pinlock insert... It WILL NOT fog no matter what - I can wear sunglasses for the sun to not deal with a fogging shield. Best thing ever...

+1

I use clear pinlock in the winter and smoked the rest of the year.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the pinlock system. So you never have issues with fogging? I've heard of guys who have actually said they fogged worse with it than they did without.

Living in Florida where the humidity is often near or at 100% in the summer (especially early in the a.m.) I couldn't keep my regular visor from fogging. I've had the Pinlock for 7 months now and no matter the riding conditions it has yet to fog up.

From what I understand correct installation is key - if you don't get an air-tight seal between the pinlock and your visor it doesn't work. Don't know if I got lucky or what, but I put it in and haven't touched it since...

And about keeping your visors scratch free - the ONLY thing I clean my visor with is Plexus plastic cleaner and microfiber (I keep a small can in my tank bag) and it still looks brand new after 7 months. With the bugs here I sometimes clean my visor 4 or 5 times a day on long rides... Stuff is awesome...

Yeah... I tried riding with sunglasses/clear visor up combo, it's a no go.

Good thing I was only heading home from work otherwise I'd be grossed out (work at a construction company now and so there is A LOT of dirt).

It was a giant bug, at first I couldn't debate whether or not it was dirt or crap, but it didn't stink so it was a giant bug.

+1
I ride year round, when it rained and it was cold out (yeah :surrender:) visor would instantly fog up (even when cracked slightly). I went with the pinlock, followed their instructions to the tee and no issues since. Clean seal is the key.

I was leaving my parents (five hours from home) in February. At 6a.m. it was 36 degrees and foggy (not to mention dark) and in the prime of deer season. I was riding dark country roads with either: a) a fogged visor or b) the wind cutting holes in my face - either way I couldn't see shite - when I got home I immediately ordered the Pinlock and haven't looked back since.

Year 'round rider here too. Which isn't really hard in Florida - actually summer is worse at 100 degrees and 90% humidity than winter 50 degrees and no humidity...

I was leaving my parents (five hours from home) in February. At 6a.m. it was 36 degrees and foggy (not to mention dark) and in the prime of deer season. I was riding dark country roads with either: a) a fogged visor or b) the wind cutting holes in my face - either way I couldn't see shite - when I got home I immediately ordered the Pinlock and haven't looked back since.

Year 'round rider here too. Which isn't really hard in Florida - actually summer is worse at 100 degrees and 90% humidity than winter 50 degrees and no humidity...

Last winter went down to 32 which is decent but still cold wind combined (pun intended)

I have a Bell Vortex helmet with a Transitions shield... yea, the shield cost nearly as much as the helmet, but it's well worth the investment. It is dead clear at night and reacts fairly quickly with any sunlight. It gets so dark that you can barely see in. I'm not sure if it is as dark as the dark smoke some of you have, but I think it is pretty close.

Say goodbye to changing shields and putting up with the wrong tint! I only wish I could afford the Bell Star helmet to go with the shield, but the Vortex is well worth the money!

i still like the convenience of the inner sun shield helmets- ie HJC IS-16, Scorpion EXO-1000 etc. i have the HJC IS-16 scratch and it's not too expensive either- about $150 or so. objectively, the Scorpion is a better quality helmet all-around. but, it's almost double the price- plus it also didn't fit the shape of my noggen very well. the HJC is very comfy- ie can wear it for hours on end, no discomfort whatsoever. my only beef is that on hot days i have to life the outer shield at traffic stops or it might fog up because of the extra plastic lining that it has below the nose. (is it a nose guard?) i know that piece is removeable, but it looks kinda spiffy, so i left it on there...

So I got the EXO-1000 with the built in shade thingy. Have to say it's good when I'm hot and ride with an open visor, but a color visor looks better. I'm the shy type of guy so I don't like it when people look at me.

I'll still get a smoked visor, but the built in protector is good when it gets hot.

I'm currently running a Fulmer D4 Axis Mundi (yellow/black/silver) with a mirror shield. Sweetness. :D The one below is a dark smoked version obviously.

Fulmer_D4_AxisMundiYellow.jpg

Last edited:

Back