GIVI Luggage

ajskillz13

I finally received my V46 and accessories! I ordered the break light kit, and backrest. Havent had a chance to install it yet but hope to during the course of this week. Will post some pictures when done. Thanks again for the advise and input :D
I'll be doing the light kit this winter! Be sure to give us some pictures and info on the install. I'd like to have a bit of an idea what I'm doing so that I can try to get this done myself.

OffTheClock

I installed V46 and rack on Tuesday evening, took all of around 30 minutes. Wish I would have purchased this a long time ago..... well worth the money. :thumbup:

Not only does the kit fit extremely well, it is so practical, looks good and holds a ton of storage. I rode to work today and was in traffic and lane splitting was NO problem whatsoever. I dont even notice the extra weight and honestly feel no additional drag. :D

As far as the negatives are concerned, I originally ordered the V46N which comes with the brake light factory installed. Since they were out of that unit and they wouldnt be arriving until November sometime, I agreed for them to send me the kit for the brake light at the same cost.......... It took me around 2 HOURS to install this kit and am still not complete. I still have to install the connector on the rack to the box and have to drill out a piece on the rack and quite honestly was frustrated so decided to wait rather than mess it up :(

Then on my way to work today I was stopped at a traffic light where a guy next to me had the exact V46 and he has the brake connected and I got to tell you, the tiny 4 lights that light up made me wonder if its even worth having :confused: perhaps for night riding of which i dont do much of.

Think carefully about adding the brake light kit as an after fitment.

All in all, INCREDIBLE TOPCASE, would recommend it to everyone. If you're going to buy one, consider the back rest too. Havent taken any pics yet.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ajskillz13

Then on my way to work today I was stopped at a traffic light where a guy next to me had the exact V46 and he has the brake connected and I got to tell you, the tiny 4 lights that light up made me wonder if its even worth having :confused: perhaps for night riding of which i dont do much of.

Think carefully about adding the brake light kit as an after fitment.
Thanks for the heads-up! I noticed that it was only the 4 lights, but I still thought it would be worth it. Could you not notice them much in daylight?

See red

I think they are similar to the e460 case I have. 4 leds, not too great on bright days, but it does make seeing the bikes brake light easier as it shades it.

OffTheClock

Thanks for the heads-up! I noticed that it was only the 4 lights, but I still thought it would be worth it. Could you not notice them much in daylight?
I havent completed the light installation as I now need to drill through a hole in the mounting rack to connect the male plug wish will rest upon the case. Just hadn't had a chance but when i do will let you know.

AngryAnt

Has anybody else used the V35 rack (PLXR364) and had problems with the install?

I fought it for 3 hours last night before I gave up. It appears one of the pieces of metal that allow the locking nut is welded on the wrong side, and thats preventing everything from lining up just right :(

I'm really hoping I'm an idiot and looking at this wrong...the only way I can see to fix it is to cut this lock nut off with a torch or something.

Superzoom

Don't do anything drastic yet. A whole bunch of people have the V35's and should be able to help you. Maybe post a new thread with your question as the subject.

AngryAnt

Thanks. Worst case scenario Sporttour.com can ship me another pretty quickly. When I get home I'll try and grab some pics because its a bit hard to try to explain.

ajskillz13

Has anybody else used the V35 rack (PLXR364) and had problems with the install?

I fought it for 3 hours last night before I gave up. It appears one of the pieces of metal that allow the locking nut is welded on the wrong side, and thats preventing everything from lining up just right :(

I'm really hoping I'm an idiot and looking at this wrong...the only way I can see to fix it is to cut this lock nut off with a torch or something.
All rough protruding lock points should be pointing towards the bike. I don't understand how one could be opposite. Which one? Did you mismatch where they go? The mounts by the grab rail are side specific.

Pics?

AngryAnt

All rough protruding lock points should be pointing towards the bike. I don't understand how one could be opposite. Which one? Did you mismatch where they go? The mounts by the grab rail are side specific.

Pics?
I'll post some pics in a couple hours when I get off work.

There is a lock point under the fender that "links" the left bracket to the bright bracket, and that protruding lock point is actually facing out - towards the back of the bike. There's really no other way to configure the brackets, its kind of obvious which way they go since they have the long arm that attaches to the passenger foot peg. Its that metal piece that keeps the arms under the fender from lining up and resting solidly against each other (otherwise I'd just zip tie them together and be done with it) which causes at least one side or both to sort of "turn" towards the front of the bike and the other lock nuts won't line up properly with the other metal protrusions. On the arm under the fender, either that metal protrusion was welded on the wrong side, or the lock nut was put on the wrong side.

ajskillz13

Since it's all on the right direction, you should see the quick action bolt pointing up towards the tail. The bolt side bracket goes below the other and the bolt goes up and through.

If this is how you have it, then maybe it's messed up. Seems weird they'd make this error, but it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

AngryAnt

Since it's all on the right direction, you should see the quick action bolt pointing up towards the tail. The bolt side bracket goes below the other and the bolt goes up and through.

If this is how you have it, then maybe it's messed up. Seems weird they'd make this error, but it sounds like you know what you're talking about.
You're right. Between your info and taking another look at it when I get home, I realize the problem: That bolt is assembled backwards. The pin that holds the bolt in place must have some adhesive, because nothing I can do has budged it any.

As you can see in the picture, what you're looking at is the back bracket (under the fender) as if you were facing the back of the bike. With this configuration, the bolt is faced where it would have to be pointing towards the tire, which means it can't lock because the metal protrusion is facing the same direction. Also, it means I would have to take off my fender to get the wrench in to tighten it and lock it in place. Either way, because of the bolt facing the wrong direction it adds about an half an inch more space than it should be, which rotates the brackets where they don't line up with the other bolt locks.

Also one of the metal protrusions appears to be warped as it looks different than the other 3, like its only holding on by one welding spot.

If I could just remove the pin, turn the bolt facing the right direction (towards the fender, not towards the tire) I think I could make it all work - but I can't for the life of me get that pin to come out - so it looks like I'm stuck with an RMA due to mistaken assembly :(

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

AngryAnt

Ha, trust me I tried. To remove the bolt you have to remove the pin holding it in place. Hammer,pliers, nail punch, vice grips, you name it, I tried it to get that pin to budge, but no luck :(

frelay

Strange cause these ar not made my GM :p Talk about quality control... Anyway, I can understand your frustration and we can not call these ch$$$eap. Here's a couple of pictures of my brackets that I just took for you.

Attachments

ajskillz13

yep... Have em send a replacement. That is bogus!

Superzoom

Wow, AngryAnt, that really blows that someone screwed up like that and had the nerve to send it on down the line.

I'm thinking you could MacGuyver something to fix it with some tubing or bar stock and some nuts and bolts. Hack off the defective ends, insert some tubing, drill holes and bolt it all together. But of course the best fix would be to exchange the racks.

AngryAnt

Wow, AngryAnt, that really blows that someone screwed up like that and had the nerve to send it on down the line.

I'm thinking you could MacGuyver something to fix it with some tubing or bar stock and some nuts and bolts. Hack off the defective ends, insert some tubing, drill holes and bolt it all together. But of course the best fix would be to exchange the racks.

I considered it, but by the time I begged / borrowed / stole all the tools I'd need to cut the ends / bolt off and rig something in place, I'll probably have a new one shipped from Sporttour.com. I called them and they were pretty quick about calling the warehouse and claim they've already shipped me another. They said ETA on it was Friday, although I find that hard to swallow, I assume they meant next Friday.

AngryAnt

I got my new PLRX364 givi mounts in last night, opened up, and lo and behold!

THIS one was assembled wrong too! It even still had the "inspected by" #70 sticker on it...Needless to say I was furious, and after some sawing, some wireties, lots of hammering and enough cursing to make a sailor blush, those mounts are on dammit. Drove with them to work for the first time this morning. I actually feel a lot less vibes off the back seat, which I like.

I think there is an alternative mount available for V35's, and if so, I highly recommend getting that one. Clearly they don't care about quality enough to assemble their own hardware right.

Pics incoming possibly tonight when I get off work.