GIVI Luggage

ajskillz13

Bit the bullet today and bought the V35 cases and V46 topcase. Got em at http://sporttour.com.

I kept thinking about the trip down to MotoGP with the wife in 2 weeks and I didn't see how else we would manage (safely and comfortably) storing two helmets and full riding gear while we watch the races. I know people are generally good, but it would be nice to be able to lock stuff up and keep it away from the casual thief.

V35 Sidecases
PLXR364 Mount
V46 Topcase
Back Rest Pad
FZ364 Rack

All for a whopping $1,148... stings, but I'll be okay with it once I get them on!

You can't even find anything used better than that price for GIVI and I'm not one to try to redneck rig anything else on there. I've already failed at that with my soft saddlebags.

FYI: You can pay with a PayPal account and sign up for a "Bill Me Later" credit account that gives you no payments / interest for 6 months as long as you pay off the balance by then. (March 1st in this case)

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

ajskillz13

well, we'll have a follow vehicle with us... CC I believe was planning on towing his bike as well, not sure about the others....

you'd be more than welcome to lock up stuff in our vehicle if needed. We talked about it as well, have to have a lockable vehicle for the number of people we'll have with us, plus most don't want to ride the entire 600 mile trip there :confused: (I don't mind) so we'll be towing some bikes.

just follow along the INDY GP thread for details.
Thanks for the offer Dart. That's a good idea. I'll be riding with family most of the time and I think the new bags will cover us. My dad and uncles all have goldwings/Harleys with luggage, so we'll all be exclusively on two wheels.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and I'll be in contact to find out how to hook up with you all at some point down there. I'm thinking we all park together on Saturday night for the big bike night!

ajskillz13

Please post detailed pics when get and on? I would really like to see this because I REALLY want hard solid mount bags. (scared to leave my bags on many places I go to). I would love to try to show the pics and justify cost more to the wife.
Will do! I did the same thing with a couple of pics I found on this site. I'll make sure to get a few more angles and give my input on fit/feel on the bike.

ajskillz13

Wow... Well I ordered my Givi stuff on Thursday afternoon and received it all today! Sport tour.com is awesome!!! Everything was perfect and installation went pretty well. All I can say is Givi is worth every penny. The quality is great and the design flows with our bike so well.

Will post some pics and review soon.

Superzoom

I kept thinking about the trip down to MotoGP with the wife in 2 weeks and I didn't see how else we would manage (safely and comfortably) storing two helmets and full riding gear while we watch the races. I know people are generally good, but it would be nice to be able to lock stuff up and keep it away from the casual thief.

V35 Sidecases
PLXR364 Mount
V46 Topcase
Back Rest Pad
FZ364 Rack

All for a whopping $1,148... stings, but I'll be okay with it once I get them on!
To me it seems odd to me that some people consider $1000 an outrageous sum for hard bags, but others will drop $1000 on an exhaust and remap for a few more horsepower. The FZ6R is a great value to start with. By adding $1000 of hard bags, you've got a legitimate sport tourer for very little money compared to a VFR1200, FJR, Concours, etc.

AngryAnt

To me it seems odd to me that some people consider $1000 an outrageous sum for hard bags, but others will drop $1000 on an exhaust and remap for a few more horsepower. The FZ6R is a great value to start with. By adding $1000 of hard bags, you've got a legitimate sport tourer for very little money compared to a VFR1200, FJR, Concours, etc.
This. I'll drop a grand on making my 6r more functional long before I drop a grand just to have louder pipes. I already told the wife I want Givis by Christmas :)

ajskillz13

This. I'll drop a grand on making my 6r more functional long before I drop a grand just to have louder pipes. I already told the wife I want Givis by Christmas :)
Worth it even if they're the only gift you get!

ajskillz13

These cases in the matte black color just look like they belong on this bike. They are unbelievably sexy on white! Overall, I am completely happy with the appearance and the relative size. After seeing pictures, I thought they might be a bit wide, but they look so much better in person.

The quality of both the racks and the cases is as good as I could ask for. Everything is solid and easy to use.

Installation wasn't too bad. It took me over 3 hours from when I tore into the boxes, but I was going off some mostly foreign language instructions and my own logic.

You have to remove both seats, the grab bar, and loosen the rear plastics in order to complete all installation. You also have to remove the pin holding each of the passenger pegs. This pin is replaced by a longer bolt that holds a bracket for the side case rack. (This was probably the toughest part)

I only had 3 screw ups during installation. First, I accidentally put some plastic spacers in the incorrect holes on the top-case mount. Took a utility knife to pop them back out, but no big deal. Second, I could not get one of the four GIVI bolts installed to hold the grab bar down. I think something was messed up in the threading and it would not screw in after a certain point. I found a stock bolt that was removed from another part and used it instead. It was just long enough to engage and it works fine. Finally, I realized that I forgot to use the little bit of padding they provided for where the top rack attaches to the frame. This was the biggest issue because it will take some serious work to get back in there and install it. I'll get to this when I have time. There's no movement at this contact point, so I'm not worried about it scratching at this point.

As you can see in the pictures, the V46 trunk can hold two helmets. I have a medium Bell Vortex and my wife's small Scorpion EXO700. They don't fit by much, so I would be concerned with any larger helmets fitting. I will say that my Bell seems extremely wide in the shell compared to the Scorpion. Her helmet also fits easily into the V35 side case, but mine doesn't even come close. I would like it if there was a bit more space inside, but I wouldn't trade it for the sleek look these have.

I did notice a significant weight difference when I first mounted the bike. You can tell the back end has more load (like having a passenger). The biggest thing was the increased lateral weight when rocking side to side. After testing with and without top and side cases, I determined that the top case is the main culprit. The side cases don't seem to affect much of anything as compared to stock.

The ride was great. I noticed the difference in balance from before, but the more I rode, the more comfortable it was. The peace of mind of all my luggage being completely secure made me way more relaxed! I was also happy that these cases don't stick out much farther than the mirrors and they don't feel like they slow you down much. Yes, I do notice slightly increased revs due to the weight/drag, but it's not much and the bike still has enough power to quickly go from 60 - 80 mph to make a pass in 6th gear.

You will notice the cross-winds! Unfortunately, my test ride ended quickly due to a fast moving storm that popped up. As I got within 2 miles of the house, some extreme winds picked up and blew me a foot or two across my lane a few times. However, these winds were like nothing I've experienced on the bike, so I don't think it was much more influence than our bike normally feels. (The same wind front that knocked down concert stage rigging at the IN State fair that killed 5 people last night.)

Sorry for the long review, but I thought it was better than multiple posts. I am so stoked about these cases. I even went to a dealer yesterday and sat on an FJR and told the guy about my dilemma. He talked me out of going the FJR route because our bike is so much more nimble around town / parking lots. It was nice to get that confirmation that I wasn't just wasting money by getting these cases and not upgrading power. He said to go with the cases and I said "They're being delivered today!".

Attachments

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Jay S.

Looks great! Thanks for the pics and info. Good stuff! I'm still a few weeks away from coming home and ordering mine. Your pics are making me anxious!!!

:)

Last edited:

ajskillz13

Front end wobble...

Well... here's a bit more to my review, plus a question concerning something I noticed with the GIVI cases on the bike.

Last night when I took the bike out for a quick spin, I noticed that when I took both hands off the bars to coast a bit, I got a pretty big wobble in the front end. It didn't even have a hint of vibration with one hand on, but once I let go completely, it wobbled. I tried it again assuming it was a fluke road condition or I caused it somehow. Wrong, same result.

So, I rode it back to the house and took the GIVI cases off because I had never noticed this before I had them. Tried again and the wobble was gone! I even tried to force it by tapping the bar end, but it remained stable.

My conclusion from this was that the weight of the hard cases takes a considerable amount of weight off the front end, causing the front tire to not be as planted as it is stock. I noticed this feeling the first day I installed the cases, so this seems to be the most obvious answer.

My other theory is that the turbulence on the side cases was causing the front end to be pulled back and forth. This seems less likely, but it's possible.

Any thoughts on this from someone who has more motorcycle knowledge than I? If it is the weight distribution, would there be something someone would suggest to counter the weight loss on the front end?

See red

Don't take your hands off the bars? lol!

Seriously I wonder, did you have anything in the bags? If so how much stuff?? Have you tried it without the trunk, with the bags? vise versa?

ajskillz13

Don't take your hands off the bars? lol!

Seriously I wonder, did you have anything in the bags? If so how much stuff?? Have you tried it without the trunk, with the bags? vise versa?
Lol... knew I would get that answer! Yes, keeping the hands on solves it! :p

The bags were empty at the time. I tried without the side bags and it didn't repeat. I'll have to test it more, but it may be a combination of weight and drag that shifts the balance so much towards the rear that the front is not as planted as usual. However, I had no noticeable handling difference in curves.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ajskillz13

Agreed, Marthy! The trunk is the way to go!