Registering bike with an out of state title process? (Mississippi title in Florida)

Justus T

I'm not sure if anyone else has been in a similar situation when buying a bike from someone, but I bought my 09 Fz6r back in May of this year from a rider that was moving from Florida to Texas.
She gave me the title of the previous owner that lived in Mississippi.
I found out that she never registered the bike and that the Mississippi owners name is the only one on the title.
I need and want to get the bike registered, so I'm not riding illegally of course.
I tried looking it up, but I'm curious as to how the process is of getting it registered with an out of state title.
From what I read, it can be a whole can of worms or it's not a big deal.
Any other riders know what this experience is like when registering their bike with an out of state title??

Just_Jim

Every state is different, so check with your state DMV. It could be easy, or it could be a royal pain in the ass.

bmorris22

The process is basically the same for every state:

1. Make sure the sale is properly documented on the title (seller's signature, your name and signature, date of sale, and the purchase price)
2. Take the title to your local tax collector's office.
3. Pay the sale and property tax for FL.
4. Take that receipt to the DMV and get the vehicle titled and registered in FL.
5. They should mail you the new FL title within a week or two.