FZ6R - How to install HID Headlights

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Fzara2000

sooo i was looking for a thread with pics of the LED tail light conversion and stumbled across this thread just because its something i always considered doing not only for a bike but my car..... wth is the difference between the projector and the bulb alone?
I believe the projector focuses the light, while the bulb will blind oncoming drivers because it doesn't focus its light output

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

MikeN02

I believe the projector focuses the light, while the bulb will blind oncoming drivers because it doesn't focus its light output
Yep this. The light output also helps because the bulb itself will make the light look scattered.

Not to mention Projectors look teh sexy.

edwinlin88

do we need two bulbs or one? it seems the kit Jon used has two bulbs?

Oh crap, I have an Australian FZ6R and there is a bulb in the little crystal. what to do!! (ive ordered single bulb kit)

I guess I can have two-coloured headlight

Last edited:

leovito

HID not firing up need help

Well i got the bike masters HID kit its the 35w 8k h4 hi/lo set. I installed it this morning and the bulb wont turn on. I dont know what the deal is because all the connectors are correct (like its hard to mess up to begin with) power going to the bike and other mods. the headlight just doesnt want to fire. I havent touched the bulb so maybe someone can explain to me what is going on with my kit. I have pictures to help.

leovito

ya i started it several times wiggle the wires unhooked and re did all the connections. I hope I didn't get a DOA bulb.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

RooKie

Has anyone else had issues with this installation?

I've done the conversion, but now only my high beam works. I only run my high beams, but the fact that my low beam isn't working makes me worried that there may be other issues with my wiring. I've already tried swapping the connectors for the ballast and the solenoid and ended up being able to hear the low/high mechanism flip inside the projector but there's no light. Has anyone had this issue?

That's how it stands now, but yesterday I had a hell of a time trying to get the retrofit mounted. The parts didn't fit correctly and I had to file down some of the parts to make them fit with eachother. I am very upset and disappointed with the quality and instructions. Took me 7 hours to figure it all out and it is still not working 100%.

I called earlier in the day for assistance and got nowhere so I told them I'd call at lunch and now they don't answer at all. Not sure if they're busy or just avoiding my problem.

Anyways. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll try to draw up a diagram of my wiring sometime today or tomorrow to see if anyone can find issues. Thanks everyone!

PS: I should have stuck with my Krypton bulb :(

Kdubb223

Installed the ddm H4 Hi/Low bulb yesterday, what a difference that light makes. My garage actually lit up during the day when I started the bike.

Thanks for the how to!

wby0001

I'm preparing for this installation and I'm wondering if I will need extra wiring to get to the battery since I saw that one person indeed did.

For anyone that has done this mod, were you able to do it without any extra wire extensions?

If not, what gauge wire did you use and where did you buy it? Also, how did you connect the extra wire?

One more question...do you have to remove both seats to get the wires to the battery? I'm not really sure where the battery is.

Thanks in advance.

geesantoz

probably this is too late ... but currently want to upgrade to HID on the bike.

This seems to be the user manual from DDM. probably applicable to install their kit. I have not got mine yet, did not know that it ships from china.
Looking to install this once received *dunno how long*.

H4 H/L HID Install Guide - Help Desk Software powered by DDM Tuning

By the way, from the fz6r manual, we can have 35W or 55W bulb.
In fact, on Fz6r accessories from yamaha website, it offers PIAA bulb that rated at 55W such on below url ... I wonder if the DDM 55W HID can be used on the bike. I purchase only 35W though, not sure about the heat from 55W which may risk to damage the plastic housing.

Yamaha FZ6R Accessories, Yamaha FZ6R PIAA® H4 Replacement Headlight Bulbs

BoneJj

probably this is too late ... but currently want to upgrade to HID on the bike.

This seems to be the user manual from DDM. probably applicable to install their kit. I have not got mine yet, did not know that it ships from china.
Looking to install this once received *dunno how long*.

H4 H/L HID Install Guide - Help Desk Software powered by DDM Tuning

By the way, from the fz6r manual, we can have 35W or 55W bulb.
In fact, on Fz6r accessories from yamaha website, it offers PIAA bulb that rated at 55W such on below url ... I wonder if the DDM 55W HID can be used on the bike. I purchase only 35W though, not sure about the heat from 55W which may risk to damage the plastic housing.

Yamaha FZ6R Accessories, Yamaha FZ6R PIAA® H4 Replacement Headlight Bulbs
35w is going to be plenty of light as it is. The bulbs for HIDs produce a lot more light at 35w than your typical halogen so yeah, 35w is plenty. 55w is kind of overkill for most situations, though nice at times.

I want to redo my ninja 1k with dual 35w HID seeing as I have a kawi they only like to have one side lit up for low beam so I will have to change things up and make them both hi/low beam setups.

I always thought it was an idiotic thing to have one side light up and the other strictly for high beam but the bike was too nice other wise to pass up on the rest of it... lol.