FZ6R - How to install HID Headlights

MikeN02

Some people like me, had trouble finding a full write up on how to install these darn things. So I'm just doing a little write up, not a whole lot of pictures because i didn't have my camera on me but I took some of what I could.

Prep Work, Before you begin.
Tools and items you'll need is the same as my other thread:
-Hex Key, Allen Key
-Socket Wrench (for the seat, and headlight).
-Philips Head (4 Way Screw driver)
-Gloves (So you don't get your natural oily skin on the bulb)
-Containers (for screws, trust me on this one... I had a few extra)
-Drinks/Food

Step 1: removal
As mentioned by JonKerr of this forum:
First thing to do is pull ALL the plastic off the bike. Fairings, fake ram air intakes, mirrors, inner fairing covers, everything. When you go to take the front fairing off, you can just unbolt the 4 main bolts holding the headlight assembly onto the bike. You don't have to take the fairing off the headlight unless you want to. After you unplug the headlight from the main plug, and can take the assembly to a work bench
So, basically you take all of the fairings off. If you haven't done frame sliders yet, here's my frame slider thread: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/fz6r-how-install-no-cut-frame-sliders-18569/

After you remove both side panels, you remove the air intake plastics. When you remove the side fairing, you'll see 4 or 5 screws that require a 4-way or Philips Head screw driver. Unscrew these and then take off the air scoop plastic.

Looks like this:

After you take off the sides, you now want to start working on the dash. Take off the dash side plastics:

This is taken off by a hex key bolt and a plastic quick screw, then slide the plastic off.

The dash is next, held on by the same thing. A quick screw and a hex key bolt:

After that, slide the dash out and over the gauges and set it aside.

The mirrors are easy to remove, as they're only held on by 2 nuts for each mirror. Unscrew these and the mirror will come right out, I used my socket wrench for this, just have to move the handlebars to get some room.

Next, you'll be on the ground looking up at the bike to see what's underneath. You should see a plug going in to the bulb to connect it to the power, as that's the only wire connecting to the headlight unit. Just pull that sucker out like a wall cord because that's basically what it is.

The only thing you have left on there is the headlight. DON"T unscrew the philips head screws in the headlight display, it's a waste of time. If you look there's 4 bolts that hold the headlight unit in place. They're bolted on to a silver/metal frame bracket. You're gonna want to stick your socket wrench in there and unscrew those bolts.

After that gently pull the head unit off and take it to a bench or table and work on it there.
The bulb itself is covered in a rubber rain/weather protector. I used the two little stubs that stuck out and pulled it off. After you get that big thing off you'll see a little metal/paper clip spring that holds the bulb in place. Push down on the right side of the spring and unhook it, then pull it to the left. Take the bulb out.

Step 2: Installing it

With rubber gloves on so you don't touch the bulb. Take off the plastic cylinder case of the HID bulb. And put in the headlight like the stock bulb, also, it might be a little tough but you can put the spring over it again to lock it in place instead of unscrewing the spring and screwing it back in. For the weather rubber protector, I just stuck it over the new bulb and electrical tape the hole so no water gets in.

If you're unsure about how the ballasts connect, look at the wires with the instructions and they should clip together. Unlike the stock bulb where the 3 prong wall cord connects directly to the bulb, the bike's connector will connect to the ballast instead.

Now you're going to want to think of where you're going to mount the ballast, making sure that it doesn't interfere with the steering. Some members say you can just use one, but I used two since mine came with two and I think if you only used one you'll just get the low beam. I mounted mine on the front with the double stick tape that came with:

And the other side here:

Move your steering left and right to see if it hits it or interferes with it, if it does then you're in trouble.

You're going to have to run the 2 Positive and Negative wires through the body, using zip ties/cable ties to hide it there and to the battery.

Now put the head unit back on and screw in the 4 bolts. Connect everything together, and test out your work.

Step 3: Putting everything back together

Go reverse order when you put everything back together, starting from the dash first and the side fairings last.

Here's where I cable tied the wires in the front:

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
:rof: Your photobucket ID is FantasyKnight! :rof:

:justkidding: Seriously though, nice write-up. I hope this helps all the people who had questions. So the ballasts just plug right up with the stock wiring? There was not cutting or splicing?

MikeN02

:rof: Your photobucket ID is FantasyKnight! :rof:

:justkidding: Seriously though, nice write-up. I hope this helps all the people who had questions. So the ballasts just plug right up with the stock wiring? There was not cutting or splicing?
Yeah, was a final fantasy fan and made it as a teenager lol.

The ballasts do plug right into the wiring, the bike's plug is like a wall jack, and the ballast has the 3 prongs that just stick right into it.

MikeN02

I'll try and get some pictures but as I mentioned I didn't have a camera at the time. Plus I start work again for the weekend.

Kleinfalls

Yeah, was a final fantasy fan and made it as a teenager lol.

The ballasts do plug right into the wiring, the bike's plug is like a wall jack, and the ballast has the 3 prongs that just stick right into it.
Why do you have to run power back to the battery if the ballasts plug in to the factory wiring? More than single 12V power required? Where did you purchase yours from?

MikeN02

Why do you have to run power back to the battery if the ballasts plug in to the factory wiring? More than single 12V power required? Where did you purchase yours from?
The ballast does plug into the factory wiring (three prong outlet like a household electrical outlet, it's just that you have another set of wires (red and black, positive and negative) that need to connect directly to the battery or so.

I'm not entirely sure why though, if someone knows the mechanics of HID lights they might be able to explain to you more about it. I just followed the instructions.

I purchased mine at the same location as everyone elses, DDM tuning. I got the 35W 6,000 single Hi/Low beam for $45 about 2 weeks ago and now it's on sale for $35 I believe.

Also an Update: JonKerr was right, the double sided tape they supplied you with sucks. Mine fell off on the right ballast, the left ballast I had it trapped with a little hook on the frame. I think it might have been when I was riding in the rain also. Have to find another way to glue or stick it on.

Overall I still like this mod, the light is really good and bright at 6,000. My friend even commented how great it looks and he saw it in the daytime.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

MikeN02

Dual. Well, it's actually only one ballast, then there's another control box of some kind that kind of looks a little like a ballast. Look at the pics they have on their site and you'll see what I mean. They're down to $35 right now. So now it's actually cheaper for me to buy the whole kit than it is to buy just a bulb. THIS is exactly what I got with a 6000K bulb. I think the only difference in their kits is the bulb you get and that control box. The ballast has wiring for both, a single bulb setup like ours and a dual bulb setup. So one set of wires will just get bundled up and zip tied out of the way. I'm actually going to go a head and cut mine off while I've got everything apart this week replacing the bulb. If something goes wrong doing that, I'll have the back up kit to put in.

Do you get a high beam with just one ballast installed? I looked at the instructions while installing it and the red and black, can't really remember what color it was that connects to the second ballast is the switch for the Hi beam.

And when you do take everything off again could you snap a few pictures as well? I didn't have my camera when I did it and didn't want to go through the whole hassle of taking it off again.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

There wasn't really 2 ballasts. There's one ballast and the other box (I think it's a switch box) for the high beams. Also I didn't get any instructions unfortunately. So if they're calling that second box a ballast, I guess that's it.

I'll get some pics of the way I have it installed when I change the bulb.
I guess I was wrong in calling the 2nd box a ballast then? In the picture there is 2 boxes... that's what I got.

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

Yeah that's the same kit I got. I think the second box is a controller of some kind.
The instructions that came with it marked the second box (with the wires that goes to the battery) the white and red connector from that, connects to the second box's black and red wire connector. They marked it as a switch to Hi beam, so I don't know. I just installed both to be on the safe side and I had no idea how to install it and went with the instructions.

porky45

They're down to $35 right now. So now it's actually cheaper for me to buy the whole kit than it is to buy just a bulb. THIS is exactly what I got with a 6000K bulb. I think the only difference in their kits is the bulb you get and that control box.
Am I reading this correctly? This kit is all I need (parts wise) for and HID?
I've gotta be missing something here... I thought they were over $100?

MikeN02

Am I reading this correctly? This kit is all I need (parts wise) for and HID?
I've gotta be missing something here... I thought they were over $100?
Yeah it IS what you need for the white/blueish tint of HID lighting.

It comes with the bulb and blasts, what costs so much is the bulb.

Like the other guy mentioned somewhere in this forum, "real" HID lights costs hundreds, maybe thousands. And I doubted the DDM tuning after reading all of that but went ahead and ordered it anyways. Didn't regret it one bit, only thing I sort of regret was not getting a 7,000 or 8,000 bulb for a more blue tint but I would be losing light otherwise.

Like other people mentioned, it's a real increase in lighting, about x3 or x4 times. I can actually see it shining so white when I'm at a light behind cars in the daytime.