Thinking about purchasing another bike? POST/ASK/TELL HERE!

latony007

You should look up the hp and tq specs for the vulcan it's considerably less than the 650 motor on the bike you are talking about.

v-twin motors are not very efficient motors, at least how they are designed for the cruiser bikes. I'm a fairly big guy and I don't often find little women to ride with me so the 900 wasn't a good option for me.

As for the Shadows they have the same style of motor now, so their power output is a lot less than it used to be. The Stryker is a good bike. My friend had the 1300cc stryker and that had just enough power to make it enjoyable while not too much that it wasn't controllable. It's hard to compare v-twins to inline motors or even parallel twins because the motors perform drastically different.

Also the vulcan 900 struggles to get up past 80mph. It's kind of pitiful IMO.

If you are tiny and your passenger is as well it may not be a problem for you but it all just depends on how you like to ride. If you have problems with 2 up on a 600 or 650 you may want to reconsider a v-twin 900 and start thinking v-twin 1300.
Im not comparing it to my in line 4 or a p twin but my single cylnder suzuki which can do much better than 80 mph? Not that i am really looking for massive speed just a bigger bike, the S40 or savage is really small, about 350 lbs. and although i am pretty small about 155 add my wife who is probably 120 and a bigger bike just seems more comfy and better suspension wise. i will have to check the specs on them all and do some more research, I certainly wouldnt have assume a twin 900 would be slower than my single 650 even if it does weigh a lot more, that vstar 950 i sat on looked so beefy lol.

BoneJj

Im not comparing it to my in line 4 or a p twin but my single cylnder suzuki which can do much better than 80 mph? Not that i am really looking for massive speed just a bigger bike, the S40 or savage is really small, about 350 lbs. and although i am pretty small about 155 add my wife who is probably 120 and a bigger bike just seems more comfy and better suspension wise. i will have to check the specs on them all and do some more research, I certainly wouldnt have assume a twin 900 would be slower than my single 650 even if it does weigh a lot more, that vstar 950 i sat on looked so beefy lol.
That's where they get you... lol.

They are nice sized bikes and if you guys are that light weight then it might be pretty okay for you and you might be happy but I wanted a lot more acceleration, the 900 just didn't have that.

As for 80, yeah, it could get to 85 but it just seemed like I was having to rev it out pretty hard just to get it up to that speed and anything past was just ridiculous. It will clime up to nearly 100 but that's like pulling teeth out of it. If you want a cruiser that can at least get up to speed and not feel like it's straining then you will need to consider more displacement.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

Guys, they don't call it a "cruiser" for nothin!! Lol

Thinking about picking up a project bike, ninja 250 or like, to make real low for my wife, and fix up, see if she will like being in control, I doubt it, and it would just give me a toy to ride, but we'll see :)
i hear ya, but i would like it to "cruise" at freeway speeds instead of struggle, but like i said my 650 doesnt so i dont see how bigger biikes would but i need to ride some for sure.

And i was just saying to someone else part of my would like it if my wife learned to ride, but part of me wouldnt lol. Its my guy time and i would be to worried about her on it.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

knightmare

Guys, they don't call it a "cruiser" for nothin!! Lol

Thinking about picking up a project bike, ninja 250 or like, to make real low for my wife, and fix up, see if she will like being in control, I doubt it, and it would just give me a toy to ride, but we'll see :)

If ur going for the 250 just get the 300.... Pretty much the same thing but a lil faster.... My wife gots one and loves it.... I put lowering links and lowering risers in the front... She loves that fact that it looks like a big boy street bike especially when she rides it... And she gets a lot of compliments.... So it makes her love it even more.... And the best thing is that a lot of 250 parts fit on the 300...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

Getting it as a cheap project bike, budget is slim to none, closer to none, lol.
you certainly can find a lot of used cheaper 250s, while the 300 would be better it just came out last year and is tougher to find used ones at a decent price.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

EsrTek

Next Bike suggestions

So many of you know My '13 6r had a short life and was totaled last November.

I plan on getting another bike next month and really having an issue deciding, so wanted to get your opinions on bikes that may suit my desires.
Let me also say, I have always wanted an SS, but at my age and knowing my self control, feel a SS would be hard not to go all out on the highways and fear turning into a wheelie squid. Plus they so damn expensive on Ins. That said, SS's have a lot of my wants but only if I buy new, and that's just too damn much $$.

Some of my 'wants' for next bike, but these are not mandatory.
  • 1 I really want ABS!!!
    I know experienced riders say they are unneeded. As I hone my skills I would like to know a minorly harder grab on the brakes will not cause a tucked front (my 1st crash on my 6r was from this, and I also had an Oh Sh*t moment on the 250 from same, but was able to keep it up, as it's a more 'forgiving' bike).
  • 2 Adjustable fork suspension, if not stock, then an aftermarket replacement would work.
  • 3 High revving, (inline 4 motor preferred)
  • 4 I'd like traction control, but that lowest on list.
  • 5 Full fairing bike, I don't like naked(s). (This is mandatory)

To give some basis as to my bikes so far and what I did/did not like about them.

First, Ninja 250:
I loved revvin the shit out of this bike, and the ability to 'ride it like I stole it' and still not really get to far over speed limits.
I liked how easy it was to work on and how cheap and available parts where (plus Ins cheap).
I liked it's lightweight but there was also negatives to that, as in high winds I literally felt like 1 good gust would take bike out from under me.
The skinny tires and light weight made it hard to control on graded roads also (which there seem to be all over TN right now).
The top speed got old quickly and the passing power at highway speeds lacked.
I hated the vibrations from this bike @ highway speeds, and purposely stayed off highways w the bike for that reason. (10mins at 9k+ rpms and I would have numb hands and feet).
Felt a bit too big for the bike at 6'1".

The Fz6r:
Loved the engine sounds and speed/power, although I did feel it lacked in top end. I'm no expert but the power seemed to drop off way before you even hit redline.
Felt it was too top heavy and hard to manage in slow/tight quarters, between weight and clutch feeling.
At spirited paces, the suspension felt rubber and squeamish if any variations in road.
I luved the seats, very cushy and comfy on long rides.
Hated the front headlight and the transformer(esk) looks of it.
Did not really like the handlebars and had issues getting into a comfy full tuck.
Did not like the front brakes, although I never changed anything from stock, they just felt squishy.
The heat from engine would bake my manhood at any type of stop.

Sorry for the novel, I felt it was prudent to add as much info as possible to get correct feedback in quickest manner.

Last edited:

Brock Kickass

Sounds like you're looking for a Ninja1K. However, if you have trouble resisting temptation you might get yourself in to trouble on one. It's not hard to squid it up with that kind of power on hand.

BoneJj

Sounds like you're looking for a Ninja1K. However, if you have trouble resisting temptation you might get yourself in to trouble on one. It's not hard to squid it up with that kind of power on hand.
One of the good things they did on the N1k is that they did restrict the first couple gears so that it's harder to "squid" it up and act a fool on the bike.

It does get a lot stronger on the upper end.

though there is a nice fix for that, there is a guy that has an ECU reflash and couple that with a PC V and you'll be a happy camper.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

EsrTek

True, and I do have self control, but it is my tendency to lose that a bit on highways. I'm just being completely honest here about myself, please don't think I'm a pure squid...the clear wide roads w high speed limits is my Kryptonite.
The 6r was plenty fast and I know, sometimes too fast..so wasn't really thinking of upgrading on the aspects of HP/Torque/CC's.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

EsrTek

Yeah the 300 is on my radar, very much so in fact.
I sat on 1, and first thoughts were the size factor of me on it, and compared to the Yami the build quality is lacking.
However, I thought it would be a good fit for me to hone my skills even more on.
I also like how easy it is to work on, cheap parts and with aftermarket mods I would be able to make it more into what I want.
However, with all those upgrades it'll end up costing a lot more than the bike will ever be worth.

Also if going back down in size, I really think this be my choice:
http://www.rushlane.com/yamaha-r25-production-ready-version-leaks-online-12100644.html

Also I got bored of the 250's power quickly, and fear the extra 50cc's will give me same feelings and regret sooner than later.
Plus I do groups a lot and did not like being left in dust. The smaller bikes can do the turns better, but I'm just not at that point, so end up speeding too much to catch up and then lose em again going into corners on twisties.
Where on the 6r I could keep up without overdoing it and stay more in comfort range.

Nismos - The straight parts are easier for me to control myself usually keep it around 80-90..but this section of road I just can't (always in triple digits), and I go this way quite often.
https://www.google.com/maps/preview?hl=en#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d12981!2d-86.6842349!3d36.1899728!4m25!3m19!1m4!3m2!3d36.1969521!4d-86.6879642!6e2!1m4!3m2!3d36.1447519!4d-86.6967582!6e2!3m8!1m3!1d12988!2d-86.6896342!3d36.1437122!3m2!1i1440!2i774!4f13.1!5m2!13m1!1e1!7m1!6i1&fid=0

Last edited:

knightmare

I think the best all around bike is the 6r not to fast not to slow... And great for first time riders... My wife has the 300 and it's a nice l bike but lacks quickness.... I'm not much for top end so I adjusted the sprockets to be quicker... And I love it even more now.... If I'm going over 120 I'm just asking for trouble.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: