thinking about upgrading.

latino212

Been thinking about upgrading from my fz6r, and been looking at newer r6 or r1. Just wondering what have some people gotten as their next bike? Is it a big difference from an fz6r to r6 would an r1 be to much? I hear a liter bike is unnecessary if riding on streets but still would be nice to have an r1. Should I get a 600 before even considering a liter bike? I have been riding my bike for almost a year now and would wanna do either of those 2.

If you also can help with what is good asking price for my bike its an 09 fz6r with 10400 miles its been dropped twice once by me just couple scratches on front fairing just above headlight. Previous owner dropped it on left side broke brake peg but he replaced it with new one. Still pretty clean bike just wondering what I can ask for it.

SixRFixR

So is it one year on the FZ6R or one year of riding total? If it's the latter, it sounds too soon to me. I'm sure you could ride anything safely, but you have to have enough rider maturity to keep that right wrist in check.

I think the R6 is a specialty bike. It's good for 45 minutes of canyon carving or other short rides. More interesting rides may require a more versatile steed. Decide what kind of riding you want to do for the next couple of years and then start looking for suitable bikes. GXR750? I'm looking at the Tiger 800's myself.

latino212

Well iv driven a ninja 500, its the bike that really first got me into riding motorcycles. I was using the fz6r as a daily commuter to work, but realized miles on the bike would go up high. Im not saying I wanna buy a bike and hardly ride it to keep the miles down, just now I wanna buy a new bike brand new and mod it. Only reason I dont mod fz6r cause I know ima wanna trade in and get a 600 or 1000cc bike so I would rather save that money and mod a new bike I get. Main riding im going to be doing is canyon riding or just driving on days when off work not as much or probably at all to work.

Ok so if im considering a 600cc bike a zx6r or cbr600rr would be better choice? I know r6 is considered better for track use and seating posture is a lot more aggresive then other bikes. Im not a fan of suzuki that much wouldnt ever really consider buying not that there bad just dont like them as much as other brands.

latony007

Dont do it, especially if your commuting on it. If you want to get something with more power, and i sometimes do too, then you need to look at the FZ1 or the Ninja 1k In my opinion. I have discovered the most comfortable haul *** bike on the planet is the Ducati Diavel but at like 22k its a little out of range.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

I dont know why people moan about R6's not being for the street, I ride my R6 regularly on street and, just SixRFixR stated, it is all about wrist responsibility. Posture wise it is fine, when I had my XJ6 I was always wanting to tuck in anyway, and since breaking 9 of my vertebrae (& other parts) in March I dont have any major discomforts on my R6.
If you want to go 1000cc give a few a test ride and see how you go, in my book it can be disappointing to have to ride 1000's restrained for road conditions though.
If it is torque you are chasing, try test riding some of the twin or triple bikes around as they generally will have lots more torque than the FZ6R, however some lack the top end comfort.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

latony007

Agree with Tony and Don. Demo days would be ideal or just do lots of research and try to set up test rides. Of your looking at sport/super sport you might wanna check the GSXR750. Ergos are good for a super sport, price is near that of a 600, but with better power. Ninja 1k would be ideal for commuting and riding fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Hey Scott!

Yamaha demo right by my house this weekend. everyone is right if you can demo one you should by all means try and do it. I just did the yamaha demo a couple months ago and rode the fz09. Id like to get an FZ1 this time but they didnt bring it to the last demo so id like to try an R1 just to say i have ridden it. I have also done suzuki (which kinda sucked they took us on a horrible route) and can am (which was great they took us into the canyons) and Harley, who just gave me the key and said have fun which was nice but i would never buy a harley.

RoadTrip

Do it! Get a flashy R6 and some cool looking gear and have some fun, I mean FZ6R is plenty of fun as well, but if you dreaming on a SS get one! But, get the R6 not R1, insurance will be cheaper and you can wail on it without worrying about it biting you as hard if you make a mistake. A guy on here has both a R1 and R6; he started with the R6, and one might think when he added the R1 to the stable the R6 would have become boring, but his report was he still loved the high revving and flickable R6 just as much as beast aspect of the R1 (actually sounded like he preferred the R6).

This misconception with a SS is that you get tortured by the ergos, yes they can be painful at times, but take breaks and shorter rides and you will be fine - they are definitely not touring bikes, but one wail above 10K and you will understand why many people love I-4, 600SS bikes.

stache

I own an FZ6R and a GSX-R600. I rode the gixxer to work for a couple of days and decided it's gonna live on the track. Just not worth the back ache from stop light to stop light.

R6 is the most aggressive position of supersports.
CBR and GSXR are more comfy.

If you really want a liter bike (superbike), just make sure you have good throttle control.
Also, you're gonna get sick of living in 1st and 2nd gear.

Check bikes like BMW s1000r, Aprilia Tuono, Kawi Z1000 for torque monsters on the street that you can still canyon carve on.

Last edited:

latony007

This misconception with a SS is that you get tortured by the ergos, yes they can be painful at times, but take breaks and shorter rides and you will be fine - they are definitely not touring bikes, but one wail above 10K and you will understand why many people love I-4, 600SS bikes.
You made my point, why buy a bike you have to get off every 30 minutes or suffer the wrath when you can get a ninja 1k or fz1 that will go way faster than you could possibly use on the streets and fast enough at the track? And apparently unless you have broken 9 vertabrae you will be much happier long term. :D

Bert-Aus

You made my point, why buy a bike you have to get off every 30 minutes or suffer the wrath when you can get a ninja 1k or fz1 that will go way faster than you could possibly use on the streets and fast enough at the track? And apparently unless you have broken 9 vertabrae you will be much happier long term. :D
Even the FZ6R/ XJ6 fills those criteria Tony,
Although everyone on any bike has to get off every 2hrs or so for fuel anyway

latony007

Even the FZ6R/ XJ6 fills those criteria Tony,
Although everyone on any bike has to get off every 2hrs or so for fuel anyway

Thats true, but some people really like the extra torc of the bigger engine. I would not mind it either, if it was free lol. For the money im happy with the 6R, its not like its slow.

JSP

Super Moderator
FZ-09...

Pshhh... /thread

RoadTrip

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2b_ygxIRY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2b_ygxIRY[/ame]

latony007

i cant see these at work, i assume its a rebuttal of some kind. Your still not going to convince me it makes sense to buy an SS unless your primary use for it is the track :)

Even if your primary use is canyon carving like me i still wouldnt do it. Do they perform better? absolutely, no question about that. To the degree someone not on the track is going to see? i dont think so, unless your doing 3x the limit on public roads. if i had enough money to buy a street bike and a track bike i would absolutely get an SS.

having said all that im sure there are people out there with bodies like gumby who the riding position doesnt bother, i just think thats not the majority of people.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

latony007

Well i test rode my first super sport the other day and all my issues were confirmed and even one added. First The bike was great fun, very fast, and seemed like it just wanted to lean a lot more than our bike. Im not sure if its more easy to go from side to side than ours but definitely felt like it wanted to lean farther. The red line is 16.5 so you can rev the crap out of it, the one thing i noticed is that at 16.5 redline the gauge stopped at like 18. After that i guess it just explodes? :)

Now for the bad. Its so uncomfortable for me it was ridiculous. On a 30 minute test ride i was actually anxious for it to be over after 20 which is unheard of for me. The riding position is just horid, laying on the tank hurts my back but doesnt get rid of butt pains and what was worse was that my neck was hurting because in your natural position your going to be staring at the gauges so you have to crane your neck up all the time to see the road. I was not expecting that part. Maybe thats just for us short people but i dont think so. I see why they are great track bikes and not so good for regular riding. IMO.

I also saw actually in stock the new FJ09 which is a nice looking bike but taller and bulkier than i was anticipating. i think im keeping my FZ6R for a while and still trying to trade up my cruiser to a spyder.

Im Stupid I DID NOT MENTION THE BIKE It was the 2014 R6

Last edited:

VRIIClubby

im in the same situation atm latony, I had my eyes for ages on the VFR800, was only uncertain if I would have the shits after a few months on the 800 and wish I had of gone the 1200.

I live in the middle of nowhere so no ride days for me, local bike shops stock dirt and thats it. finally got to sit on the VFR and was upset straight away, the ergos for a famous "sports-Tourer" was crap! thats not a tourer! :eek:

So back to the drawing board for me, host of new bikes out so lots of choice!

Im currently sold on the upcoming Suzuki GSXS-1000F... full faired sit up comfy with a 1000 in it... our bike but grown up and wearing a different badge!

looks sweet, will go sweet, has traction, abs etc and looks like it wil be able to be turned into a touring weapon...

others on the mind are;
New BMW XR1000R
New BMW R1200RS - if it was a 1000 i would be sold on this
Ducati Multistrada

All very $$$ bikes but offer the least compromise to what I want/need.
So the release of the Suzuki really blows them away in the $ department!

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member