New member welcome thread

6R Blackout

Hello, everyone, my name is Joe. I live in a rural area called Hammond, 60 miles outside of New Orleans. Its a nice quiet area that is much safer to ride in than the city, where drivers spend more time gazing into their smart phones than on the road ahead of them. I drive into the city for work. If you know anything about New Orleans, you know that it is great to visit, but not too safe to live in.

I am 59 years old. I don't spend a lot of time riding anymore, but I don't want to give up the sport. My dad bought me my first bike when I was 11. It was a scooter. From there I went to various Honda's until I gave up Japanese bikes for Harley's. I owned four Harleys. I really liked Sportsters. I wasn't too bright back then.

Twelve years ago, I bought a Honda VFR 800. What a great bike. I still regret selling that sweet thing. I traded it in on a VTX 1800 F cruiser. That was also a great bike, but the damn thing was a beast...800 pounds wet. I sold the VTX two weeks ago. When the new owner rode it out of my driveway, I could not even look. I really would like to get an FJR, but until I retire, I am not going to drop large coin like that because I don't want to invest that much money on a bike that I don't ride often enough. Looks like my choice will be a FZ6R. I like the upright ergo's. I can't ride a bike that is a torture rack. For now, I want to buy a bike that is inexpensive and fun to ride. That should be satisfying until I decide if I want to buy the big sport touring FJR. I thought about a FZR years ago, before I bought the big Honda cruiser. I will be lurking, learning, and I will let you know when I get my bike. I may have to wait a little while to see how things shake out with my job.

I guess this is a good enough introduction. :) I don't know when to shut up. I should have been a D J, but I don't think I could have handled all the women. Thanks for humoring an old man. :)

I will be around.......Joe
Welcome Joe!

The FZ6R is a great bike and fun to ride, I live right outside the city, Metairie Louisiana you may know of this town? I have been to Hammond quite a few times in my life. Maybe once you get your bike we can meet up for a ride, it's only about 45 minutes for me and i agree it is much nicer riding than in and around New Orleans! Well Welcome aboard and PM me if you get a bike and want a ridding buddy!

Casey(aka Hunter77)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

threexcharm

welcome to the forum! so are those swamp people from the show big celebs there now?

Fizzer:

Those Swamp People and the family with the Duck call business set Louisiana back at least 50 years, and we have enough problems already. :)

I have cousins that lived here but moved to California years ago. One of them wanted to come back and visit, but his wife refused to join him. She honestly thought that we all lived in camps, built on pilings above the swamp, and we had to kick water moccasins off the run in order to get to our pirouges to get to work.

I chose to save my breath and not bother. You have to pick winable arguments. Some of the family came last Mardi Gras and had a blast. They did not want to go home.

Joe

threexcharm

Welcome 3xcharm! Don't worry, you're not the only elder statesman on this forum. The ergos of the 6R seem to agree with those who are younger at heart than of body.

If you use the search feature you may find the thread where one such member installed pegs further towards the front of the bike so he could stretch his legs on longer rides, in case that's something you'd be interested in.
Thanks, I will remember that. Most of my rides last about four to six hours. I just ride around the countryside, enjoying the sights, feeling the rush, and eating some good food. I guess I will never get the Harley thing completely out of me......Live to Ride, Ride to Eat. :)

Joe

threexcharm

Hey there!

I live in Central Alabama. I just purchased an FZ6R last Saturday and I have really been enjoying it. I'm still taking it easy since I have about 400 miles on it.

I started riding motorcycles when I was 13. My father bought a cheap street legal dirt bike for me to see if I was interested in motorcycles. That bike had 13k(Kilometers) on it within a year. My dad then purchased a Honda Rebel when I was 14. I really did and still do love that bike. It's so much fun to cruise around in the city. After having the Rebel for a couple of years he bought a Yamaha V-Star 650 when I was about 16. It is very comfortable and rode like a dream.

I had to get a cyst removed from my back a little after getting the V-star. Riding was very painful after that but I rode anyways. I thought about getting another motorcycle with a more upright riding position so it wouldn't hurt my back. A friend suggested a FZ6R. I looked and looked at stuff about it for almost a year. Then I decided it would be my commuting device to work after high school and a great bike for the weekends.

After calling ever deal in Alabama, west Georgia, and east Mississippi, I when to a dealership in town on Saturday at about noon. Yamaha was there with a demo trailer. This was the first time they have ever been in Alabama. We walk in and the guy asks us what our lowest offer from other dealers was. The lowest I had found over the phone was $7500 for a 2011 new. He goes back and talks to the boss. He comes back with $7900 and $200 in in-store credit. We convince him to make it $7700 and no store credit and buy the bike(I think Yamaha being there had something to do with the good price). After a few hours of paper work and "preparation" I hop on the bike and take it for the first ride around 4 P.M..

The bike felt great on my back and had a shocking amount of power. I think I made a great decision and really enjoy the bike.

49.5 mpg on my first fillup, I like that :)
Did you talk to the folks at D & H up in Cullman? They have some great prices on FJR's. I assume their prices are good on everything??? Then again, I guess that it does not matter anymore. Congrats on the new bike. Enjoy.

Joe

threexcharm

Welcome Joe!

The FZ6R is a great bike and fun to ride, I live right outside the city, Metairie Louisiana you may know of this town? I have been to Hammond quite a few times in my life. Maybe once you get your bike we can meet up for a ride, it's only about 45 minutes for me and i agree it is much nicer riding than in and around New Orleans! Well Welcome aboard and PM me if you get a bike and want a ridding buddy!

Casey(aka Hunter77)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!
Thanks Casey:

I know some nice country highways that you would enjoy riding.

Joe

CrazyCawi

Fizzer:

Those Swamp People and the family with the Duck call business set Louisiana back at least 50 years, and we have enough problems already. :)

I have cousins that lived here but moved to California years ago. One of them wanted to come back and visit, but his wife refused to join him. She honestly thought that we all lived in camps, built on pilings above the swamp, and we had to kick water moccasins off the run in order to get to our pirouges to get to work.

I chose to save my breath and not bother. You have to pick winable arguments. Some of the family came last Mardi Gras and had a blast. They did not want to go home.

Joe

Welcome brotha. Do you noodle? I always wanted to try. Anyways mardi gras is boob loads of fun! Ive only seen snoop dogs version of it though LOL!!! Anyways hope your enjoying your time here, we are happy to have ya! When do you get your fz6r?

C

crazyapple05

Not sure if this is where i'm supposed to post but i'm buying my white 2009 Fz6r next week. My name is April i live in Eden Prairie,MN. been riding a few years but only on really old bikes. lol like 1980's. I graduated with a degree in pre-engineering but i work theater production for highschool plays. i love it.

DakinechicK

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :cheer:

JSP

Super Moderator
Not sure if this is where i'm supposed to post but i'm buying my white 2009 Fz6r next week. My name is April i live in Eden Prairie,MN. been riding a few years but only on really old bikes. lol like 1980's. I graduated with a degree in pre-engineering but i work theater production for highschool plays. i love it.

Congrats and Welcome to the best forum ever!!!! :D

C

crazyapple05

Google led me here. i have not decided what i think yet.... had bad luck with drama in forums before.. so far so good.
I'm more of a "Just the facts jill" kind of woman

DakinechicK

Google led me here. i have not decided what i think yet.... had bad luck with drama in forums before.. so far so good.
The drama is very little here! There are many people (myself included) who have moved on to different bikes but we stay on this forum because (like Jspansel said) this one IS the best! We all have a lot of fun together on here and the bike help/knowledge is top as well!! Anyway, welcome!

JSP

Super Moderator
Well we are all like family here. We razz and play around with eachother. Lots of crazy cat pictures and such too. No drama unless someone decides to start some and us mods handle that quick like.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Last edited by a moderator:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Last edited by a moderator:

ortlie09

Newb here

Hey everyone I just picked up my first bike yesterday! It's a 2010 YZ6R (although isn't that the only bike on this forum? lol). I had planned on starting with a 250, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought it off a friend who dumped it and got spooked and just wanted to get rid of it. It had only been ridden a few times the last few months, and only had about 610 miles on it! Got it only for 2500 too :D

Now on to the bad. After the crash the radiator had to be replaced because it was punctured, and there are no fairings, which to me who knows almost nothing about bikes doesn't seem like a big problem other then looks. It also doesn't have any mirrors, so I went and bought some ones that screw into the handlebars that are 10mm screw in and were supposed to be universal but they didn't fit. Any suggestions as to what mirrors I need to get? I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive just so I can see behind me lol.

I'm a member on a different forum, and one of the biggest responses to the new guys is to use the search button. I have tried this for mirrors but was unsuccessful, so if I'm doing something wrong just let me know. Thanks everyone!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member