Mileage/Wear

stuna

Ok, so I know I performed a little CPR on this thread but, I just rolled over 17,200+ miles on my bike AND on the STOCK tires!! Granted, 80% of my riding is commuting, but come on....They are worn down to the wear stripes in the center and they are needing to be replaced soon, but nothing as bad as some guys bike tires I've seen around. However, I do check the PSI every week and I don't ride overly aggressive...I'm just real surprised how long they have lasted. I start vacation this week, so I've been milking them through my work week until I can take off the wheels and get new tires on. Although, I'm happy that I haven't had to spent $ on tires yet!
that must be a dunlop i had a brigs and now a conti road attack at 9300 mi i will de due for a new one :confused::mad:

F

FZ6Rgurl

I have about 5200 miles on my bike and they look good still. Is there a way to check tread depth and see when they need to be replaced trick? Like with car tires you take a penny and put lincoln head down and if you see the top of his head you need new tires? That type of trick?

stuna

all tires will have a small bump in the tread . thats the wear indicator . your car tires too . so when some one wants to bs you into new tires :D. you can show them the wear indicators :):)
many people dont know this ,and there spaced 6-8 in intervals

Roaddawg

So I finally took my wheels down to Cycle Gear and had them mount and balance my new Shinko Raven 009's ($62 for everything). I got 17,600 miles on the stock tires, but they were worn pretty flat spotted. Man, I could not believe the difference of new tires. The bike tipped in so much faster than I was use to, that it felt like a new bike. I have about 120 miles on the new tires and they feel pretty good so far. I'm still scubbing them in before I can put them to full lean....but, I'm happy with them so far.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoy mine very much. Hope you like them just as well. Definite improvement over stock.

Brock Kickass

THings are shaping up for me to get about 10,000km out of my rear tire. It's getting thin in the centre. I ride mostly 2 lane roads, moderately curvy. I do get out and flog it through twisties fairly often, and I ride my regular commute at varying speeds through the week, so my lean angles through the turns are different from day to day. My front looks like it's never been used.

NYGirl

What's it cost?

Ok so at 8100 miles i decided better safe than sorry. I ordered a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts (Competition Accessories, $219.95 for the set delivered to my door).

I'm new to motorcycles, this is my first bike, first tire change. So I go to the local motorcycle shop in town - not my dealer 20 miles away - and ask, how much to change the tires. I made it clear that I bought the tires on the web and would bring them with my car, and then bring the bike. They were ok with that. I was told $20 per tire.

Imagine my surprise when presented with the bill for $129.95. "Oh, we didn't know you were bringing the bike in." HUH WHAT??

I feel kinda like they knew I was a n00b and I got ripped off. What's the going rate to pop tires off rims and reinstall on the bike? I know it's more involved than car tires, but ..?!

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

I asked around as well, and it seemed the going rate was usually about $40-50 for the front and $50-60 for the rear, IF they had to take the wheels off the bike. If I brought the wheels and tires in, then $20-30 per wheel. I elected to take the wheels off and go to Cyclegear, which charged me $20 per wheel, plus $5 for disposal and replaced the valve stems with metal ones for $7 each...plus tax...$62 total. So, $130 for you not having to remove the wheels, doesn't seem like too bad of a deal to me. I just wish they through in free mounting and balancing when you buy the tires....like most car tire places.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Roaddawg

Woah woah woah!!!

I used to own a family tire business and anytime you buy new tires the disposal charge is included! At least it used to be and still is when I go to my guys warehouse and purchase what i want. I keep my receipt when I drop off the old for disposal.
I bought my tires online...does that make a difference?

Brock Kickass

I work in a tire shop. We're in the process of getting a balancer for motorcycle tires, because the Yamaha dealer at the end of our street will not change tires unless you buy them there. We won't touch bikes, though. Just change and balance off the bike and send you on your way. I'm not sure what we'll be charging, but we're $12.50 per tire for cars and light trucks, and that's if you bring them in on a vehicle. If you buy from us, install, balance, and disposal are all included in the price of the tire.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
My rear tire start to show a good flatspot (almost 2") The front kind of look weird. It wear like in a triangle? Hard to explain. I live in Florida, so no nice twisty road. I also do a lot a freeway.

The bike start to feel a bit funny when I lean. I still have plenty of threads left with only 7500 miles or so. I don't want to change tires just because but if I have too... How doyou like the Shinko compare to the stock one? Do they wear as funny in the middle?

The funny wear is due to the tires being a "double compound" tire. It is a harder rubber in the middle and a bit softer on the sides. This give s good balance of commuting/twisties. Thats what causes that /"\ look. If you do nothing but straight riding.. I would look into a mainly touring type tire. These still may be a duel compound tire, but they are meant for more straight line riding and should give you a bit better wear. A harder compound though will give you better tire life, but not as sticky in tight corners.

Roaddawg

My rear tire start to show a good flatspot (almost 2") The front kind of look weird. It wear like in a triangle? Hard to explain. I live in Florida, so no nice twisty road. I also do a lot a freeway.

The bike start to feel a bit funny when I lean. I still have plenty of threads left with only 7500 miles or so. I don't want to change tires just because but if I have too... How doyou like the Shinko compare to the stock one? Do they wear as funny in the middle?
I definitely pushed my stock tires on wear...17,600 miles! But, once I put on the new tires, the Shinko's, it was like a new bike. Tipped in so much easier into curves and gripped better. I've been happy with the Shinko's. I have over 5K on them know and they seem to be wearing better than the Bridgestone's. They were half the price of the 'name brand' tires and if they last 10k, I'll be more than happy with them. Since I do mostly commuting on my bike right now, I'm not as concerned with having super grip tires. I still ride in the twisties (maybe 20%) and I push these tires harder than the OEM's for sure (could be better skills too :cool:). I don't really have anything bad to say about them, except front tire has a single groove down the middle. If you get on a road with those grooves cut into the roadway, the front tire will sometimes try to track on in. Not really a big deal at all, just noticeable at times. But, I would really recommend these for your riding conditions. Why spend two or three times the money on super, grippy tires if your not going to use them?

JonKerr

Elite Member

mdebuck

not trying to revive an old thread. but i just ran my stocker down to the wear bar at 3800. and ive ran this bike HARD. cant blame me with the 3 years unlimited warranty and 3 years of service. im taking it in for servicing this tuesday and they told me to pic out a tire from thier rack for a better price to mount. this thread has helped me out on what to look for as in a replacement