Mileage/Wear

porky45

yeah, i ride mine very hard now, in twisties or highway atleast a couple times a week... this bike has no prob's keeping up with all my friends on CBRS, an R6 and a resol 1K... (on the street that is)

mine handels very well though, which i have diff tested out since ive dragged peg a couple times now...

the truth will come out when i go to the track this OCT 2nd!!:D:thumbup:. Hopefully she holds togather well, haha... especially since i think the clutch may be slipping a little under full acceleration shifts:confused: (only 1700miles on it)
are we talking about peg scraping with stock tires or aftermarket tires?

porky45

alright cool. I was just talking to a guy at my office (he's been riding for a long time) and said that i probably can't get that much lean on stock tires because i don't have enough tread on the sidewalls.

amirw

So the stock tires should warn out somwhare between 6k to 8k miles based on the riding style. Once replace them, what should be my next set (brand)?

any recommendations
Amir

Roaddawg

Ok, so I know I performed a little CPR on this thread but, I just rolled over 17,200+ miles on my bike AND on the STOCK tires!! Granted, 80% of my riding is commuting, but come on....They are worn down to the wear stripes in the center and they are needing to be replaced soon, but nothing as bad as some guys bike tires I've seen around. However, I do check the PSI every week and I don't ride overly aggressive...I'm just real surprised how long they have lasted. I start vacation this week, so I've been milking them through my work week until I can take off the wheels and get new tires on. Although, I'm happy that I haven't had to spent $ on tires yet!

scoobienorth

i have the stock bridgestones and have just shy of 3000 miles mostly highway, and am at least half way worn maybe more, i will be buying new tires by winter for sure.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

flyingminno

Well, I'm just over 7500 miles and have worn past the tread in the center. The tires have seen several 600 a day trips at speeds of 80 mph on hot desert roads, so I am sure that had an effect on their life. But, I also spent a good amount on twisties, and after I took her on the mountain road today for the first time in a week, I was shocked at how much the age and wear of the center affects the performance of the tires. Only one peg scrape today, and it was rather unexpected, as the bike hit a small groove and unexpectedly leaned over more.

Roaddawg

Yeah, they are for sure flatter in the center and I know not to push them on the twisties like I use to be able to. Can't wait to get new tires. I'm looking at the Shinko's that 99 got....if he still recommends them??

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they are for sure flatter in the center and I know not to push them on the twisties like I use to be able to. Can't wait to get new tires. I'm looking at the Shinko's that 99 got....if he still recommends them??
I sure do! :thumbup: They are not a full on performance tire, but they are not completely for touring either. I have pushed these tires further than the stock tires, even within the first couple miles, and they are very stable. They corner far better than the stock rubber. They do really well in wet conditions as well. On some of the twisties I take to work, I would usually slow down and be cautious when they are wet with the stock tires. The other day it was raining, and when I looked at the speedo, I was taking the curves at the speed I normally do in the dry. :eek: Never a problem with keeping traction when the road is wet. They do get squirrely over bridge joints when wet, but what tire doesn't.

I like them, and they are supposed to get good mileage. We'll see.

Roaddawg

That's what I'm looking for. Not a full on performance tire, but one that handles well BUT also gets good mileage wear.

Spunky99

I sure do! :thumbup: They are not a full on performance tire, but they are not completely for touring either. I have pushed these tires further than the stock tires, even within the first couple miles, and they are very stable. They corner far better than the stock rubber. They do really well in wet conditions as well. On some of the twisties I take to work, I would usually slow down and be cautious when they are wet with the stock tires. The other day it was raining, and when I looked at the speedo, I was taking the curves at the speed I normally do in the dry. :eek: Never a problem with keeping traction when the road is wet. They do get squirrely over bridge joints when wet, but what tire doesn't.

I like them, and they are supposed to get good mileage. We'll see.
I don't care about mileage.....what performance tire is recommended for my FZ6R toy?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't care about mileage.....what performance tire is recommended for my FZ6R toy?
I was going to go with the Metzeler M3 or M5's, but my dealer didn't have them in.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

noppe

Had to replace my rear after 6400km but fornt is still ok. It has a lot to do also with your weight and if you accellarate fast a lot

noppe

Uneven wear on front tyre

FZ6R Raven-as new-only changed sprockets-dropped two on back sprocket and my what a change! I now get to the top QUICK but revs are climbing through the roof!

Two FZ6R's at the Namibian coast, both commuting regularly +- 2500km p/m
both have the same problem. Both our front tyres are running off much quicker on the right hand side of the tyre. I was advised to change tyre pressure to 290 front and 300 back and I initially thought that it did the trick but after a hectic Breakfast run this morning I see it is still running off uneven.

Any ideas please?

noppe

Performance = Michelin Pilot Power 2CT (but that is extreme with some track performance that you'd likely never use to their fullest extent)

For street the Shinko's 99 got, or the Batlax 16's Jon got or the Pirelli Angel ST or Michelin Pilot Road 2CT hat others have got are going to give you some amazing grip compared to stock, plus more mileage.
I put on a Metzeler and the grip is amazing!

Roaddawg

Had to replace my rear after 6400km but fornt is still ok. It has a lot to do also with your weight and if you accellarate fast a lot
I don't know about weight so much...I'm 235 lbs. I keep the tire pressures at 42 rear and 36 front, per owners manual for my weight.