Gun Talk Thread

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

I will definitely be going to the range once the weather clears up, I am not in the mood to go shooting in the rain lol.

I just ordered a DedNutz one piece scope mount for the rifle. I have had scope mounts come lose on me in the past and then its like a total reset, with these one piece you can pretty much set it and forget it :D plus I think they look alot better :thumbup:

next I just need to research a scope. I know the more you spend the better but I would rather not over do it lol, I plan on just testing out this generic one that came with it for now.

I have been researching 1911's and I think I am just gonna get a Taurus, affordable and dependable. Not the brand of choice for most shooters, but just to be able to say "Yeah I got a 1911" I think it will do haha!

adidaskid810

traded up today. sold my Walther P22 and purchased a new Glock M19, can't wait to get to the range tomorrow morning and let 'er rip!

cbzdel

I am getting an SR22 next, I just have to pay off a couple remaining bills, hopefully at the end of January :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

You know, I was intrigued with that when I saw it, but I went ar15 first. There are .22LR conversions out there ( ARR-059 - AR-15 .22 LR Conversion Kit Includes 10 Round Magazine ) that might be a better deal. Since the main reason, at least for me, would be CHEAP ammo, which means backyard plinker, why spend as much for just the .22.... other than, hey my .22 looks cooler than yours?
Just a question, not judging or dishing anyone who has (or will) get one of them.
I have given it thought but figured it would cost way more to go that route. I would want a dedicated AR-"22" so I would not be swapping parts all the time.

This SR-22 is only $400 down the street from my place. That kit you posted cost $150+ so unless I could get all the parts to make it work for less than $250 its not a good deal to me (other than the cool factor lol).

If what you are saying can be done for less than say $450-$500 I may be interested, do you have any more info?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand where you are coming from. However, "an armed civilization is a polite civilization." The bad guys don't know who might be carrying so think twice about thier intended victims. A report from Texas showed that only 0.234% of all crimes were committed by people with a CCW.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/ConvictionRatesReport2006.pdf

I wish I could find the same information for other states, but I imagine it is fairly similar.

I carry because I can't predict when I might fall victim to some thuglet looking for an easy score. If I could predict when I would be attacked, I would avoid going out that day. But as of yet, I have to supplement my precognition skills with my shooting skills. :D

Also, there is (for some states) pretty rigorous training involved in getting a CCW. There is classwork to learn the laws, and many states have a shooting requirement. In addition, FBI background checks are completed and fingerprints are put on file. With all that information already in the system, a CCW holder would have to go bat-crazy to commit a crime.

JonKerr

Elite Member

cbzdel

think about this. there are far more individuals who carry illegally than who carry legally, those are the ones you need to watch out for!

Whats different from the packing gangster who just got beat up by his drug lord boss and it having a terrible day and you cut him off, vs the pissed off guy who was told by the FBI he is allowed to carry.

When I carry, I never think about my gun. its just there for a life or death suituation, not only for me but for others, keep that in mind as well. I carry not only for personal protection but also protection of others.

I am sure there is some ass hat with a CCW permit somewhere who screws up and makes everyone else look bad but thats life, you can only regulate it so much before its to the point the right is just taken away.

You can say the same thing about drinking, theres the same ass hat who just got fired, he went to the bar and go completely drunk then drove home and jsut happened to not notice that red light as he sped though the intersection t-boning another car.

cbzdel

I forgot to mention.. I went last night with the wife to look at the SR22 because she wanted to handle it.. Well she didn't like it, she thought the hand guard felt cheap and awkward (which I started to agree with her after she mentioned it)

She found this though...

She got really excited and just happened to remind me that I bought (2) guns in a row and it should be her turn :mad:

Whats fair is fair, its her turn.. I will get a 1 piece scope mount for it and probably throw on the generic 3-9x40 scope that came with my 30.06 and call it a day.

So I dunno whats next for me since I am starting to think the SR22 is out of the question.

Hmmm... 1911... AR15... blackpowder rifle... something sniper-ish for 1000+ yard shots (something I have been dreaming of)... custom tuned a 10/22 for ultimate tack driving...

hard to say...

JonKerr

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Like stated above, I would be more worried about the gang bangers, druggies etc than the law abiding citizens that have gone through all the back ground checks, tests, etc. We carry to protect our families and ourselves. We know that we would lose that right, and possibly the chance to ever see them again if we did something stupid with our firearms. It is a last resort in a life and death situation. I feel safer knowing there are many others out there that carry legally.

This is a quote from Massad Ayoob. Please take the time (any of you) to read through his books and articles.

Don’t Let The Gun Make You Reckless
Circa 1970, armed citizen Richard Davis invented the Second Chance vest, concealable body armor that for the first time could be worn constantly on duty, under the uniform, by any police officer. Some alarmists speculated that “being made bulletproof” would cause cops to become reckless. Those fears turned out to be totally unfounded. As any officer who has worn armor can attest, the vest is a constant reminder of danger and, if anything, makes its wearer more cautious.

It is much the same with concealed firearms in the hands of responsible private citizens. People unfamiliar with the practice fear that “the trigger will pull the finger,” and armed citizens will go looking for a chance to exercise their deadly power. This, too, is a largely unfounded belief.

The collective experience of ordinary, law-abiding people who carry guns is that they don’t feel a sudden urge to go into Central Park at three o’clock in the morning and troll for muggers. They learn that being armed, they are held to what the law calls “a higher standard of care” and are expected to avoid situations like traffic arguments that could escalate and, with a deadly weapon present, turn into killing situations.

Like an officer’s body armor, the armed citizen’s gun is a reminder of danger, a symbol of the need for caution. The late, great big game hunter and gun writer Finn Aagard once wrote, “Yet my pistol is more than just security. Like an Orthodox Jewish yarmulke or a Christian cross, it is a symbol of who I am, what I believe, and the moral standards by which I live.”
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extreme-Firearm-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262157291&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection (0749522009954): Massad F. Ayoob: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Self-Protection/dp/0553195190]Amazon.com: The Truth About Self Protection (9780553195194): Massad Ayoob: Books[/ame]

And this is a great book if you have children

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Proof-Children-Massad-Ayoobs-Handgun/dp/0936279052/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262157291&sr=1-10]Amazon.com: Gun-Proof Your Children / Massad Ayoob's Handgun Primer (9780936279053): Massad F. Ayoob: Books[/ame]

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
His books are a must read!

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

I am not a gun enthusiast one bit however there is one gun I am considering to get because I got a gift card for Big 5 for Christmas and it would cover pretty much all of the cost. It's a 19th century Soviet Union made military rifle, a Mosin-Nagant. These rifles were mass produced so you can get them rather cheap, ~$100ish price ranges. I don't think I'd ever fire it but I'd get it just as a collectors item.

cbzdel

I am not a gun enthusiast one bit however there is one gun I am considering to get because I got a gift card for Big 5 for Christmas and it would cover pretty much all of the cost. It's a 19th century Soviet Union made military rifle, a Mosin-Nagant. These rifles were mass produced so you can get them rather cheap, ~$100ish price ranges. I don't think I'd ever fire it but I'd get it just as a collectors item.
An M44 was the first gun i ever bought.. had it about 6 months, it was expensive as hell to shoot!!

then i started to modify it, i went to add a scope which i had to drill and tap into the receiver.. well the receiver rotated while in the vice and well i ruined the gun very fast!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member