Gun Talk Thread

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there are a lot of OC friendly states out there, but some have restrictions for being able to OC. Check out the applicable gun laws, you may or may not need a permit.

cbzdel

btastarsky

I used to carry my springfield 1911 for cc until my chief told me not to carry it anymore because of another guy's incident with the same style of weapon. Now I carry a Sig P220 DAK. Thin defeinitely helps with concealing, but clothing helps more. My usual attire when I carry (which is all the time): polo shirt, khaki pants or bdu pants, 1.75 inch leather belt.

For those of you who carry concealed, do you carry an extra magazine as well? I do, since my gun only holds 7+1 rounds. If you do, how so? For those of you who don't, how come?

For anyone interested in the new marlin calibers (.308 and .338 ME), I'm doing a range test on thursday with the .338 ME that I picked up. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 mounted on it with Ironsighter rings. I'll post my review on the gun/caliber if you guys want.

Craxican

Yeah I carry extra mags...my holster holds mags on the other side (I usually use a shoulder strap)...when I'm not in the mood and use a belt holster, i have a mag holster as well

btastarsky

I use a Blackhawk single stack mag holder that fits over my belt/waistband. It's easy to take off when you want to, but stays on really well too. The come in single or double stack variations. Hmm....wait a sec, blackhawk mag holder, blackhawk holster, blackhawk flashlight holder, blackhawk boots......what was I saying again? :confused::rolleyes:

JonKerr

Elite Member

btastarsky

Jon, if you need a safe, check out Dunham's. I got mine there for $150. It's not the biggest or most secure ever built, but it gets the job done until the fiance and I get our own place and money is available to buy something better.

JonKerr

Elite Member

cbzdel

My father in law has a snub nose .38 special, its VERY tiny, and yeah it packs a kick but I dont think its any more than what my 9mm kicks with.

a 38 special and 22 are teh only revolvers I have shot, I would really like to try out some or the larger sizes, and for $25 I can rent and shoot 1 shot from the big daddy S&W 500 :) Next time I am at the range Iam going it, I just need to shoot it once to say I have done it.

cbzdel

here is a hunting question for any hunters we may have..

30-06 vs 300 win mag and why...

I am trying to decide on what caliber rifle to buy and practice with so I can give it a try next season..

I want sort of a do it all kinda rifle so I can hunt whatever (larger game, not talking rabbits or birds here haha!)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who carry concealed, do you carry an extra magazine as well? I do, since my gun only holds 7+1 rounds. If you do, how so? For those of you who don't, how come?
I have not carried extra mags, since my XDM holds 16+1 .40 S&W JHP. I think 17 rounds should be enough for a "routine" self defense situation (not that there is anything routine about discharging a firearm in self defense). Although, I do have a double-stack mag holder that I use when I head out to the range.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
here is a hunting question for any hunters we may have..

30-06 vs 300 win mag and why...

I am trying to decide on what caliber rifle to buy and practice with so I can give it a try next season..

I want sort of a do it all kinda rifle so I can hunt whatever (larger game, not talking rabbits or birds here haha!)
I have a beautiful rifle chambered in .270 Remington, and I feel that would be sufficient for all sorts of game, small and large.

cbzdel

I would agree that a .270 would be a greart gun for small game and up to a deer, but a .270 will not take down an elk in 1 shot unless its a PERFECT shot.. You will usually have to get in 1-3 more shots as its running away.

Atleast thats that I leaned in my reasearch.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree that a .270 would be a greart gun for small game and up to a deer, but a .270 will not take down an elk in 1 shot unless its a PERFECT shot.. You will usually have to get in 1-3 more shots as its running away.

At least that's what I leaned in my research.
How often do you hunt things larger than deer? I guess you would have to take that into consideration. What will the rifle be used for primarily? If you will hunt mostly larger game, them you may consider a .30-06.

cbzdel

I dont hunt anything now haha!

but if I got into it I would like something that would be capable of anything, say I got into deer then wanted to give elk a try i would have to buy another gun, while nothing is wrong with that, my wallet would just be happier with 1 gun hahah!

DragonBlu

I've hunted and taken bear,elk,and deer in Oregon and Idaho with a 308 but would recommend a 30-06 for a good all around rifle. Practice makes perfect and a good clean kill is true sportsmanship. Good luck!

btastarsky

cb:

Depending on what kind of range you intend to shoot game at will determine what gun you should buy. If you're hunting mule deer where the average shot is over 175+ yards, I'd say get the .300 win mag. For anything under that, the .30-06 is fine. I've used my -06 for years. Only taken 1 deer with it, but it dropped it in it's tracks. The price of ammo will also play a big factor. .300 win mag ammo is pretty much twice the cost of .30-06. For a good compromise, I picked up the .338 Marlin Express. I'll post a review once I shoot it tomorrow.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

Anyone own a muzzle loader? I was at Cabellas and I couldnt believe they had muzzle loaders for less than $200, that seems very cheap, for that price I might be willing to give one a try..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone own a muzzle loader? I was at Cabellas and I couldnt believe they had muzzle loaders for less than $200, that seems very cheap, for that price I might be willing to give one a try..
They are pretty fun to shoot. Nowadays they have pre-packaged loads and all you have to do it add the loads, wadding and the ball (bullet) and you are basically ready to to go.