What Not To Wear (while riding)

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

I was helping an older couple out yesterday at work. They wanted to find a couple helmets for their Motorcycle class that is coming up. First off, the thing that scared me is the little old lady(in her 60s). The husband says they need a helmet and she walks by and mumbles "I don't know why we need a helmet anyway, but we were told we need one." After I show the couple a few select helmets that they were in the market for, the husband says it's time to look for gear. The old lady looks up at him with a puzzled look and asks "Well now, why would we need extra pants and an extra jacket to wear on hot days? I just don't see the logic in having these." I told her that the gear is completely optional but that I am a firm believer in wearing all the gear. Not just cause I want to sell the gear to them, but just cause the fact I know what can happen if you don't wear gear. I told her that the helmet is required by law here in Oregon. She had a hard time even thinking about buying a helmet because $150 helmet was too expensive and that "they weren't going that fast" so she thought she didn't need one. I find it hard to help people like this find the logic in gear. I ended up talking to her husband instead of her the rest of the time. But still, have you ever ran and tripped and fell on asphalt? Running 4 mph and falling still hurts. Imagine falling at 45 mph.

bmw675

Sad isn't it?
You hear it all the time here. "We tied out helmets onto the bike, in case we went into Missouri (they have a helmet law where IL doesn't)."

I can't imagine what my head would have looked like.

And in reference to the 3/4 helmets, I had a scrape across the face shield, top to bottom. I would assume it would have folded in if it didn't have a chin bar.

latony007

I was helping an older couple out yesterday at work. They wanted to find a couple helmets for their Motorcycle class that is coming up. First off, the thing that scared me is the little old lady(in her 60s). The husband says they need a helmet and she walks by and mumbles "I don't know why we need a helmet anyway, but we were told we need one." After I show the couple a few select helmets that they were in the market for, the husband says it's time to look for gear. The old lady looks up at him with a puzzled look and asks "Well now, why would we need extra pants and an extra jacket to wear on hot days? I just don't see the logic in having these." I told her that the gear is completely optional but that I am a firm believer in wearing all the gear. Not just cause I want to sell the gear to them, but just cause the fact I know what can happen if you don't wear gear. I told her that the helmet is required by law here in Oregon. She had a hard time even thinking about buying a helmet because $150 helmet was too expensive and that "they weren't going that fast" so she thought she didn't need one. I find it hard to help people like this find the logic in gear. I ended up talking to her husband instead of her the rest of the time. But still, have you ever ran and tripped and fell on asphalt? Running 4 mph and falling still hurts. Imagine falling at 45 mph.
No point in even wasting O2 on people like that. They know everything and are bitter on top of it. Good thing you didn't show them any Shoei she probably would have passed out!

Fizzi6ergal

No point in even wasting O2 on people like that. They know everything and are bitter on top of it. Good thing you didn't show them any Shoei she probably would have passed out!
She was complaining about the price for a GMAX 54s which retail for $180. So I showed her the Arai Corsair V which retails at $920. She almost blew a gasket!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

BigRobb

You should have pictures of road rash, and busted feet/hands/faces from accidents when people question why they should wear gear. I always refer to a particular pic where the guy was in flipflops, and he wrecked.. His skin peeled off in one big piece going from heel, to toe. Like the peel of a banana. People usually understand after that :p

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk

JonKerr

Elite Member

daddyrack

Premium Member

Bert-Aus

What's wrong with it?
Just needs the matching ghillIe suit

Idiosynocracy

This isn't one about gear but safety still... got into a debate with a cager about parking in certain areas...

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BbyDenns

Most places do encourage parking near store fronts. I hear from my father in law how much he hates when bikes take spots and how they think they own the road. I just bite my tongue. Cagers don't want you to park up front, but complain when you take a cage spot. No win!!!!!
Hmmmmm... Does that mean we should drive into the stores and not get off our bikes? We can't park without people being upset, so I guess we start driving through stores! :Sport:

Any other solutions?