What Not To Wear (while riding)

Mr Citrus

no pics.. but the squids are out in the four state area.... shorts, t-shirts, sneakers and no gloves... heck, all over PA, not even a helmet...
One passed me on the highway with shorts, a tshirt, and a ballcap today.:banghead:

dndfindley

Other than the fact she's riding very hard, very fast, with no gear on? :rolleyes: For the speed she's going and the lean angle she's at, her weight is way too high, way too central, and her arms are locked. Read Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist or Lee Parks Total Control. They talk a lot about proper riding form and body positioning.

The one thing that's working for her is the fact she's tiny. I've been on the hill the same time as her. She's about 5'2" and can't weigh more than 90 lbs. So her weight being that high up isn't quite as bad as if someone my size were sitting up like that with that much lean angle. That would be a crash waiting to happen.
Got it. So what you're saying is that if her body was leaning over even more than it is now she would be okay had she been a bigger, heavier person? David

CrazyCawi

They probably haven't gone down yet..........
WHEN THEY DO, THEY WILL REGRET. :cool:
I always think to myself

"have fun scrubbing the sand out of your wounds :squid:, as I ride past atgatt"

Id rather go down and get back up and have to buy some new gear and be ready to go again....than to go down, have reconstructive surgery, then wait 1-6 months w/ rehab and get back on a bike.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Crocop43

Hey fellas I'm usually pretty good about wearing gear u know helmet, gloves jacket boots but I don't sear anything besides good ole levi's when riding....am I making a grave mistake? Should I be wearing some sort if riding pants? Does it really offerthat much more protection?

iSpoolin

dndfindley

The main thing is if you get your weight into a low, inside position, as well as a lot of other things you can read about in those books, you can make the same turn at the same speed with A LOT less lean angle, keeping more of the tire in contact with the ground, giving you more traction. At the same time, you can make the same turn with the same lean angle, at a much higher rate of speed.

Here's two pics of me, both from the same turn, one when I first started learning about body positioning a little over a year ago, one from just recently. You can see the bike is at about the same lean angle. I'm going about 15-20 mph faster in the second picture.

The more you weigh, the more dramatic the effect is. That's why she's not in too bad of shape because there's just not as much mass raising the center of gravity as there is when my 230lb frame is sitting on the bike.
Your first picture kind of looks like my present riding position when in the twisties. It'll be a while before I get to the position in your second picture. I'm not gonna push it. David

redwing-2001

Your first picture kind of looks like my present riding position when in the twisties. It'll be a while before I get to the position in your second picture. I'm not gonna push it. David
he probably didn't go from one to the other overnight. do it in small, incremental steps. just get a little better each time you go out there and try to learn one little thing each time and it will come. when you stop learning is when you get in trouble.

Spitfire

I'm not looking forward to the day my pic ends up on here >.>... I normally wear helmet/gloves.... alternate between pants/shorts... hmm... I'm looking for a decent jacket but it gets to be about 95* with a heat index of 110+... If I wore my jacket over my work uniform I'd arrive drenched and smelly...

Florida sucks

Detrich

The main thing is if you get your weight into a low, inside position, as well as a lot of other things you can read about in those books, you can make the same turn at the same speed with A LOT less lean angle, keeping more of the tire in contact with the ground, giving you more traction. At the same time, you can make the same turn with the same lean angle, at a much higher rate of speed.

Here's two pics of me, both from the same turn, one when I first started learning about body positioning a little over a year ago, one from just recently. You can see the bike is at about the same lean angle. I'm going about 15-20 mph faster in the second picture.

The more you weigh, the more dramatic the effect is. That's why she's not in too bad of shape because there's just not as much mass raising the center of gravity as there is when my 230lb frame is sitting on the bike.
Thanks for this explanation Jon... It definitely helps out a lot =). And, I really love this topic, cuz it's something I'm constantly struggling with... (ie negotiating turns faster)

I asked my GF to video tape me from behind to help me try to see what I'm doing... And, it helps a lot to be able to see what the heck I'm doing wrong...

I noticed that overall my turning lines are good, but I'm doing 2 things wrong.

1) I'm not going fast enough around the turns sometimes... I've noticed recently that unless I'm going 50+ (45 since our speedos are off) the 6R really doesn't want to lean much and wants to stay upright... So, this is both a matter of control, mind over matter, and nerves. It's something I can't force tho. Just takes more practice & time to improve & conquer the nerves to get faster I guess...

2) Overall my body position is ok, but due to #1, my lean angle & the bike aren't always consistently forming a straight line. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. When it does, the turn looks smooth and natural regardless of the speed. But when it doesn't, then it just looks outright funny & crooked. LOL. But again, I feel this is part of the learning process. I need to start negotiating the turns at slightly faster speeds. But, it will get better with time and cannot be rushed...

And, like Jon says- lean angle and speed feels like a ratio. That is the faster you go into a turn, the more you have to lean your body to counterbalance the g force of the turn... But, it's better to shift your body weight low/ off the bike and keep the bike more upright rather than to lean the bike- unless you know what you are doing like the more advanced riders...

The more I practice the more frustrating it gets. LOL But, a majority part of the fun is just being out there. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that I had fun & got home safe & sound :)

Mr Citrus

I'm not looking forward to the day my pic ends up on here >.>... I normally wear helmet/gloves.... alternate between pants/shorts... hmm... I'm looking for a decent jacket but it gets to be about 95* with a heat index of 110+... If I wore my jacket over my work uniform I'd arrive drenched and smelly...

Florida sucks
It was 107 here sunday. :(

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

CrazyCawi

He has somewhat decent gear, that icon leather vest has a built in CE spine shield....and to the common guy...jeans is abrasion resistant, and he had a shoei helmet....I give him props hes better geared than most, now his riding skill may be a different story lol.

Detrich

I sometimes see guys dressed like that popping wheelies and stunting on the road leading into Azusa. They ride pretty damned fast in the canyon too and seem to handle themselves fine. But, I think they have serious ego problems. At stop lights they avoid all eye contact and are all prancy waiting to gun it the minute the light changes.

I hate it cuz they kinda make all of us look bad as a collective.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Spunky99

I sometimes see guys dressed like that popping wheelies and stunting on the road leading into Azusa. They ride pretty damned fast in the canyon too and seem to handle themselves fine. But, I think they have serious ego problems. At stop lights they avoid all eye contact and are all prancy waiting to gun it the minute the light changes.

I hate it cuz they kinda make all of us look bad as a collective.
"Prancy"

I like that....describes a lot of the GXR riders better than Squid....LOL

JonKerr

Elite Member