Touring?

AFDavis11

My apologies. I feel like I'm hijacking my own thread! LOL.

Anyway, I've been given permission to pull the trigger. I'm planning on getting the Givi hardbags (at the crazy price they are asking for) and the Laminar Lip windshield extender.

Before I shoot off about 1K for accessories for the bike, I'd appreciate any other additional comments.

Thanx.

AFDavis11

Thanx! Well, I went a head and did it. I got the Givi hardbags and the Laminar lip. I'm very excited. I'm set up a lot better for touring, but also for overall commuting.

Maybe a throttle controller of some sort next.

Jay S.

Thanx! Well, I went a head and did it. I got the Givi hardbags and the Laminar lip. I'm very excited. I'm set up a lot better for touring, but also for overall commuting.

I use a Vistacruise and believe it is worth every penny! :D However, I don't use it for long bouts, just to shake out my throttle hand every once in a while. I tried a crampbuster but that thing was, let's just say, not user friendly. I'm going to get the givi bags next spring so please let me know how they work out for you.

Jay

AFDavis11

Jay,

Absolutely. Mods for me are usually problematic because I don't know my re-wrapped rotor from my sproket ratio change, but I'll let you know how it goes.

So far, I can tell you that finding the right vendor and shipping costs are atleast an hour long ordeal. I saved about $100 and went with a company called Sporttour.com. Actually, I let the shopping wise wife do the work. My highest cost was around 800 with $50 in shipping. I got it down to $755 total. Still, I'm sure there has to be a better deal around somewhere.

Shipping, particularly since I'm staying in an apartment, should take at least a week and may be the next big hurdle. Having $800 worth of stuff sitting out front of my apartment all day is just downright scary.

I'm going to consider a throttle thingy and some risers, but I hope to take an overnighter "as-is" and see what I think I really need next.

See red

The over nighter as is aproach is an great idea. You will know what is working for you and what's not. I have done that on a lot of bikes. I don't usually make such a long list of mods for a new bike but I know I lost 4 gallons of storage under my seat and I figured the hard cases were pretty much a given.

Are you going to camp off the bike?

Superzoom

I use a Vistacruise and believe it is worth every penny! :D However, I don't use it for long bouts, just to shake out my throttle hand every once in a while. I tried a crampbuster but that thing was, let's just say, not user friendly. I'm going to get the givi bags next spring so please let me know how they work out for you.

Jay
Never heard of a Vistacruise, but I do use a Throttle Rocker/Cramp Buster device, and I have to say, it works really well for touring and any ride over an hour. It feels slightly awkward when you first try it, but you get used to it quickly. You also have to have the angle adjusted perfectly or it is more awkward. But the Throttle Rocker really works for preventing those insane hand cramps.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

toddjcruz

GPS mount
Dual 12v accessory outlets
+1/-3
Bar risers
Givi side and top cases
PowerPadd hand guards (cold riding)
Heated grips
Madstad adjustable windscreen (with tall and short windscreens)
Power distribution point
Heated vest (cold riding)
Tank bag
Chatterbox bluetooth FRMS radio

Still havent found what I want for a seat yet.

Tour Setup

Last edited:

Jay S.

Never heard of a Vistacruise, but I do use a Throttle Rocker/Cramp Buster device, and I have to say, it works really well for touring and any ride over an hour. It feels slightly awkward when you first try it, but you get used to it quickly. You also have to have the angle adjusted perfectly or it is more awkward. But the Throttle Rocker really works for preventing those insane hand cramps.
I have tried my Crampbuster many times over and just can't seem to get comfortable with it. All my bikes before my 6R had a Vistacruise so I opted to get another one. They are only about $25 so I didn't feel too put out after trying the CB. Maybe I'm just a huge wuss?

:D

Superzoom

I have tried my Crampbuster many times over and just can't seem to get comfortable with it. All my bikes before my 6R had a Vistacruise so I opted to get another one. They are only about $25 so I didn't feel too put out after trying the CB. Maybe I'm just a huge wuss?

:D
You've got me curious about the Vistacruise... Do you have to adjust it often when you're riding? I heard throttle locks wear out eventually.

AFDavis11

The Givi bags arrived today. Only a two day wait I think? Maybe it's been three. Amazingly fast.

They are beautiful. Came with four keys, four for each bag, interchangebly. Pretty neat.

A picture on my cell phone would not do them justice, but they are very attractive and well made.

I will probably start putting them on tonight after work.

After a short review of the instructions it appears that I will be removing a large part of the the assemblies around the passenger seat, such as the flat diamond shape grab bar that goes around the passenger seat.

Jay S.

Can't wait to see pics!!!

The Givi bags arrived today. Only a two day wait I think? Maybe it's been three. Amazingly fast.

They are beautiful. Came with four keys, four for each bag, interchangebly. Pretty neat.

A picture on my cell phone would not do them justice, but they are very attractive and well made.

I will probably start putting them on tonight after work.

After a short review of the instructions it appears that I will be removing a large part of the the assemblies around the passenger seat, such as the flat diamond shape grab bar that goes around the passenger seat.

AFDavis11

No good pictures yet, but I put them on and they look incredible on the bike.

It took me about an hour and half to install. You need a good set of needlenose pliers. You will probably benefit from one other person helping. At some point you have to push the support bars in two directions at once.

It took me a long time to figure out where the silly under tail support bars were supposed to connect to. One under each side of the bikes tail, left side and right side. There was no place to connect them under the tail of the bike.

Then the light came on!! Dooooooh!

You connect them to each other. :)

Jay S.

You've got me curious about the Vistacruise... Do you have to adjust it often when you're riding? I heard throttle locks wear out eventually.
You don't have to adjust it at all while riding. My last bike had one on it for the entire 10K miles I owned it and it never wore out. I just had to tighten it once after a while. I swear by the thing. What I like about it over a CB is that you can take your hand completely off the throttle and shake it out if needed. I rarely used it for more than a minute or two at a time unless I was on a nice long, flat, straight stretch of road. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Jay S.

No good pictures yet, but I put them on and they look incredible on the bike.

It took me about an hour and half to install. You need a good set of needlenose pliers. You will probably benefit from one other person helping. At some point you have to push the support bars in two directions at once.

It took me a long time to figure out where the silly under tail support bars were supposed to connect to. One under each side of the bikes tail, left side and right side. There was no place to connect them under the tail of the bike.

Then the light came on!! Dooooooh!

You connect them to each other. :)
Any pics yet bro?

Jay S.

Did you ever get your laminar lip? If so how do you like it?

AFDavis11

Jay,

I bought everything at once. The pain of dealing with the unhappy wife was shorter that way. Kind of like a band aid ripping off, ya know.

I like the Laminar Lip a lot. I only have wiffs of air moving gently around my helmet in a clean even flow.

It isn't as easy to apply as it looks. I mean essentially you just push in onto the stock windscreen, and BLAM, it's on. But, I didn't measure mine so it's not exactly perfect. But, no one seem to notice.

At first you realize it's just glued in place and you feel a little uncertain. But I've been banging around on mine for a while and like it a lot.

I can't say whether you'll think it is worth the price. I will say that the air flow is smooth and unbuffeted and it certainly increases wind protection, particularly sideways, on your left and right, widening the wind protection.

I don't even notice the wind anymore, except around my helmet. I really need wind flow around my helmet though because otherwise when I step off the bike my hair is sopping wet.

I wear a 3/4 helmet btw, which is pretty unusual. I feel the wind on my face only.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

You don't have to adjust it at all while riding. My last bike had one on it for the entire 10K miles I owned it and it never wore out. I just had to tighten it once after a while. I swear by the thing. What I like about it over a CB is that you can take your hand completely off the throttle and shake it out if needed. I rarely used it for more than a minute or two at a time unless I was on a nice long, flat, straight stretch of road. Worth every penny in my opinion.
I'm intrigued too. Is the install difficult / tricky? I seem to have lost my CB, $30 doesn't seem like that bad of an investment, and sounds more functional.