Touring?

AFDavis11

I've searched with no direct thread on this question. Maybe that means it's a bad idea.

So, I'm thinking of doing some touring with my bike. I'm thinking maybe two days out, 5-6 hours each day. One or two days rest, and then two days back. First trip planned is out in March. May go as far as Alabama.

Given these points, what, if anything should I get for the bike?

I'm planning on getting some soft saddlebags and maybe a better windscreen. I think the touring windscreens look a little funny, but yea, those sound like pretty long days to me. At least, long, in the getting beat up by wind for 6 hours arena.

Should I just move up to an FJR? Is this a crazy idea? Or should I just stick to the stock windscreen? Leaving in March leaves me little time to work up to that distance.

So, what would you buy if you were going to start touring?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

sammy56

I would add a "wheel jockey" if you do not have a center stand. You may need to do some chain maintenance during your tour.
A rain cover for your bike is also handy. If nothing else, being over prepared is never a bad thing.

LB

Fogride

Yes, buy the Sport touring bike. You need the right tool for the right job. Will the little 6R do a weekend 500 to 1000 mile ride? Yep, if you are up to it, the Yamaha can do. I've done weekends on a 350(315), no windshield, and could have done more. It was all I had and I wanted to ride. The 6R is not the right tool for a coast to coast, but it can do more than most owners can do.
I never thought I could ride more if I had a better bike. The 6R can do almost anything if you can. Buy a good backpack, it's all you need for a weekend.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Sage

I have to agree with you marthy, with all the proper riding gear, maybe a comfier seat and the luggage bags, your ready to go across the coast, I know I did about 12 hours one day over the summer at highway speeds and backroads with a few gas breaks to rest my butt and it was enough even for the stock seat..

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

AFDavis11

Thanx guys! You all have given me a lot to think about. I'll puruse the bike show in D.C. and see if I can find anything cool.

The bar risers and grips are two things I wouldn't have ever thought about.

I do not have a desire to spend a lot of money so prioritizing this info into what is most important will be next.

I had a touring bike but only used it once a year. "Moding" up the 6R seems like a good option.

Superzoom

Hi AFDavis,

The lists Marthy and Dart supplied are a good start.

If you're only averaging one or two long trips a year, then by all means, just get a few inexpensive accessories and be done with it. You can farkle the living crap out of your bike, and all those accessories will in fact make the ride more pleasant, but they will cost a fortune in the end.

The FZ6R is a decent sport touring mount to start with and therefore doesn't need a lot to make it long trip worthy. It's got decent ergos. The weakest points for touring, in my opinion, are the seat and the windscreen. These are costly items to fix, so I would just leave them alone if you only tour once or twice a year. They are "good enough" for such infrequent touring.

My advice on what to get, if you are on a budget and want the minimum to make the trip fairly comfortable:

1) Airhawk seat pad - expensive, but having a sore ass can really ruin the experience. Make sure you get one big enough. I got one a little too small.

2) Crampbuster or Throttle Rocker - works perfectly for touring, and worth many times its price.

3) Earplugs or ear bud headphones - limits the noise from the turbulence inherent to our bike.

Rain gear is a whole other issue. If you do encounter rain, you will want the best rain gear you can afford. Getting wet can ruin a ride. I have great rain gear and continue having fun even in all-day rain. If cost is an issue, one of those cheap motorcycle specific plastic rain suits works quite well, but WILL fall apart eventually.

Soft saddlebags and/or a backpack will be sufficient. Just make sure you have a plastic inner bag (garbage bag) to keep things dry, and you really secure the bags to your bike. I really don't recommend wearing a backpack. Just bungee it to the back seat.

I've been all across Canada on my FZ6R and I think it's a great sport touring bike. As I said, the only real weak points are the saddle and the windscreen.

When you're ready to fully transform your FZ6R into a full on sport tourer, I can give you a list of all my accessories and mods. I've got hard side and top cases, GPS, modified seat and windscreen, handlebar risers, wiring for electric vest, and a load of other gear for touring.

But I still suggest you start simple and cheap for your first trip. After that you'll know what you really need, or if the FZ6R is the right bike for touring for you.

k6gad

I did a 1500 mile or so trip this summer on the 6R. The stock seat is a brick with vinyl on it! Other than that raising it to the higher position gave my legs a little more room which was way more comfortable. All in all I am glad I took the 6R instead of the Triumph Rocket III because it was way more fun in the twisties. I have a top box now and with that and a waterproof duffel I am set for several days travel.

Any bike can be toured.... it just depends on how much comfort you want or need.

AFDavis11

This has all been terrific advice. I tried putting a big cruiser style bag on last night, but it won't fit. I just wanted to make sure it was a bad idea. I don't think I want a tail bag though. Saddlebags would probably make more sense to me.

So, with your thoughts in mind I went out for a ride today.

I'm getting clean air around my helmet and no real problems with the bike at all. It's pretty comfortable. My seating position feels a little cramped, but not too much of an issue. The seat feels pretty comfortable, but I have a lot more natural cushion than most of you guys. A flat little pillow might be in order on the trip though.

At 31 degrees outside it was cold out for a long ride. I'm hoping the tempuratures in March are near 50.

I think I will have to consider some saddlebags for this bike and just try it out on a long journey. That and maybe the crampbuster thing for now should be just fine.

I am wondering about raising the seat a bit. I may need to try that and test ride again. I like flat footing the bike though. If I raise the seat and then drop the bike I'll feel like a moron. But, maybe a comfortable moron would be a good persona for me. I might consider a raised seat and some slider thingamajiggies you guys all seem to attach to the sides of the bike. :)

sammy56

Here is a pic of my ride with topcase, saddlebags and a giant windscreen. I do have an Airhawk seat cushion and I can ride anywhere for long stretches....and still a blast in the mountains!

LB

Superzoom

Wow, Sammy, that windscreen is insane! Do you experience any weird back pressure with it? How would you describe it if you were to review it?

sammy56

There is some buffeting, but I wear earplugs and it does not bother me at all. I really did not find the buffeting any different from the yamaha double bubble. Absolutely awesome on the highway at speed...no fighting the wind. I truly love it.
I think it is certainly not the best looking thing on the bike, but surprisingly, nobody notices it but me. Guys I ride with only noticed it (when I first put it on) when I pointed it out. I think because I have a topcase on the back of the bike, it is kind of "evened out."
I have taken it up to 100 mph and it is perfect and as you can imagine, not too hard to tuck behind if desired. It does catch bugs, but I prefer to clean them off the windscreen as oppose to my helmet anyway!

sammy56

Also....let me add that after I first put it on, I went on the highway and before I knew it I was going 80 mph. Not feeling any wind (hardly) after riding a naked SV 650 and then the FZ6R for some time (low shield) I really did not realize how fast I was going and looked down wondering why the traffic was eating my dust???:p:p