There are two types of riders...

Have you ever laid your bike down?

• Total voters

oorgle

been down a couple times. thankfully nothing major.

left work one brisk winter day and leaned into the turn 50 ft from my work and laid my gs500 out. cold tires + cold road= no grip. bike was a little scratched but i bought it to beat up. i was fine but felt like a dummy.

another time, i tried riding out a dirt road to my friends place. the road has some pretty steep inclines and declines and i was on the same gs500 (street tires). I am going up a hill getting traction wherever i can, which happens to be on the left side of the road. all of a sudden a volvo crests the hill also on the left (his left) and he is moving pretty good. we both crank to the right. I am standing on my seat getting ready to jump as my bike just barely makes it around the side of him.when i got about halfway past his car i lost it and jumped into a bush.. Nice soft landing and since it was dirt the bike was fine. a bolt holding the clutch lever on came loose so i rode to town bought the tool to tighten it and rode home.

CtrlAltDl

25+ years of ridin' and went down last year for the first time and it was on my 6R. Lady ran a stop sign and broad-sided me. I jumped off just before the impact, which saved me from breaking or possibly losing my leg. Landed 30 feet away in a field of sticker bushes and stinging nettles. Ended up with a sore back, dislocated rib, and bruised on my right side from my thigh all the way to my ribs.

vengeance44

I picked the wrong one, one of the never should be close call.

* Riding through town past a local bar when someone in an Escalade pulled out in front of me-fishtailed but kept it upright.

* Riding with some friends through the country, following a group of (4) cars for over a mile 10mph under the speed limit, got tired of it and start to pass them on a straight away. Made it past the back car and was even with the 3rd in line (90mph in a 55) when the 2nd car, a SUV pulled into the passing lane without signaling and I almost rode up her backside. Hit both brakes but still had to ride the dotted yellow between them because I couldn't slow down enough.

* Going home from work (7am) with heavy fog when again I almost run up the backside of an SUV who was going 40mph in a 65 without her lights on. Glad I hug the center line of freeways otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance to swerve over.

I think I have issues with bikes and SUVs, which is weird because in cages I seem to only have problems with Chevy Luminas
a friend of mine just bought a chevy luminas he has total two cars in less than 1 year of driving too

linkgt

I've never been in an accident. However I have laid the bike down at about 10 mph when i first got it as I was practicing across my house.. I dont think that counts though...

MC#4

I rode for 6 years 16-22 on 5 different bikes and never once laid one down at speed. I had ALOT of really close calls, I slid the back tire in panic several times, spun 180 degrees in the snow on my ninja 250, ran off the road twice, had a guy stop in the middle of the road and almost backed right over me! I've hit patches or gravel in turns, almost spun out in a dirt parking lot once. I even hit the rear of a car with my mirror because I couldn't stop it time. I've locked up the front brake in a parking lot and almost fell over. Still never actually dropped one, but now that I am bike less it won't be a problem.

My little brother just started riding, he's riding my old 96 80cc honda scooter. About 3 days of riding and he dumped it at 10mph and scraped up his leg pretty good, completely shredded his jeans. Hopefully that's his only taste of asphalt on a bike.

danieljardim

In 40 years of riding, never been down. If I really thought it was only a matter of time before a crash I wouldn't ride. I prefer to stay positive, wear good gear, and assume I won't go down, ever.
That's how I think, Always hoping for the best.

Mguenther

I've had two accidents.

The first was in 1966. A car pulled out in front of me. I broadsided him. I had no injuries but the bike was totaled. I don't know what I could have done since I saw him stop, look at me and then pull out.

The second was in 2010. Two dogs came onto the road from behind a sign. I avoided one but got the second one. Totaled the bike and earned me 4 days in the hospital with 6 broken ribs. What could I have done? Other than not ride, nothing. So as soon as the insurance settled I bought a new bike and kept on going.

I was wearing full gear both times. If I had not been wearing a helmet and protective clothing I wouldn't be here.

freshflex

I had my first run in with danger just 2 weeks ago. A couple buddies and myself were going to lake calhoun and we got into the city and were in the right lane and it was at a dead stop but the left lane had traffic moving. I was closest to the middle line with my buddy next to me. I had my nose stuck out a little bit waiting for a wide gap to get into the left lane. I waited paitently for a wide gap and there was an suv that was atleast 6-7 car lengths behind me so I mosied my way into the left lane. Next thing I know a white suv is forcing me into cars that are at a stop in the right lane. I don't remember to much just cause I was in shock but my buddy said that he seen me pull out and he was about to also until he seen this suv tearing down the road. He thinks she was speeding up to get through a yellow light behind us and was to busy on her cell phone to even realize I had pulled out. He said she was right behind me and swerved to miss me but then was going into oncoming traffic so then she swerved back and almost took me out. I kept the bike upright and the only damage was my front left blinker is pushed out of place. I fucked up her SUV more than she damaged my bike. I put two big black streaks and a big dent in her passenger side door. I know she didn't have any insurance because she gave me a thumbs up and as soon as the light turned green she booked it and I never got her insurance.

Last edited:

raybob

Two accidents in 46 years? That's pretty good!

Crashed several times, usually road hazards.

For example, a road crew "patched" a missing segment with sealant. Rode over it, next curve I found I had zero traction. Argh. Tire inspection showed my tires were packed with sealant.

Riding through a thunderstorm in Dallas, rode over a road gator (large chunk of a shredded truck tire) that was hidden by the water. Good thing it was on the interstate and (a) everyone was going my way and (b) the gear and the rain eased the slide - nothing but bent metal.

In South Dakota, just north of Mt. Rushmore, turned through an intersection with a patch of oil in it. Bang - down in a heartbeat (WTF????).

Been hit by cars three times (1972, 1981, and 1998), two were cars running red lights, one just wanted my lane. Of the three, only one had citizenship and insurance. Lots of bruises and Demerol.

I'm very alert at intersections these days.

Bob

nlpyle

I ride year round in the northwest. It snowed all night and I still decided to ride. Made it down the hill in my apartment complex on my way to work, hit the first speed bump and down I went. Needless to say I park the bike when it snows now lol but that is my only down. And at least I can say I rode in the snow. looking back, when it took me five minutes to get out of the garage, that should have told me it was not a good idea:D

Spunky99

You forgot the rule that almost took me out.
Invulnerability: "It won't happen to me!" - Accidents happen only to other people. Thinking this may lead to taking more unnecessary risks.

Going about 95 mph, late into the offramp, screwed the pooch on the slowdown and entered the curve marked at 25 mph at about 60 mph. Laid her down in a low side and bailed into the guard rail and she decided to flip and was totaled.
At the time I was racing and felt I could handle any situation and didn't properly manage my braking zone prior to a curve and suffered the result by breaking 3 ribs and dislocating a shoulder that a year later is still as bad as 1 month after the accident. It reminds me that I am not invulnerable and to make sure I am setup for each section of road before I get to it.

In aviation, we have the mnemonic, "I'm safe":

• Illness – Even a minor illness suffered in day-to-day living can seriously degrade performance of many piloting tasks vital to safe flight. The safest rule is not to fly while suffering from any illness. If this rule is considered too stringent for a particular illness, the pilot should contact an Aviation Medical Examiner for advice.​
  • Medication – Pilot performance can be seriously degraded by both prescribed and over-the-counter medications, as well as by the medical conditions for which they are taken. The FARs prohibit pilots from performing crewmember duties while using any medication that affects the faculties in any way contrary to safety.
  • Stress – Stress from everyday living can impair pilot performance, often in very subtle ways. Stress and fatigue (lack of adequate rest) can be an extremely hazardous combination.
  • Alcohol – Extensive research has provided a number of facts about hazards of alcohol consumption and flying. As little as one ounce of liquor, one bottle of beer, or four ounces of wine can impair flying skills.
  • Fatigue – Fatigue and lack of adequate sleep continue to be some of the most treacherous hazards to flight safety, as it may not be apparent to a pilot until serious errors are made.
  • Emotion – The emotions of anger, depression, and anxiety may lead to taking risks that border on self-destruction.
It's a good checklist to keep in mind for riding as well.

Y

yellowfz

While racing MX and Enduros lots of times, leisure riding a couple.
One, the corner was sanded and I did not see until it was to late into the corner lean, sand is slippery when on pavement. Broken collarbone.
When my wife had her first wreck I told her "join the club", been there done that.
I always try and anticipate what might happen, but sometimes unknowns can be surprising. Agree with "I'm safe" mnemonics.

Chucker

What happened - I was 18 and riding on day 6 of owning my brand new 1982 Yamaha Vision 550. It was my first sportbike and I was taking a tight turn at about 30MPH (posted at 20MPH) when the back end let loose and I slowly lowsided. I rolled over once and sat on the road watching my baby do about 3 slow spins as it slid off into the ditch. I almost cried. Luckily, it just bent my right bar and scraped up my left muffler.

Looking back - I immediately started researching and practicing proper body position, but I chalk the true root cause to me thinking a sportbike meant I could ride the same way but at a higher rate of speed. In retrospect, I'm glad I learned my lesson then, rather than at about 80MPH.

Knock on wood, I haven't been down since.

kevin8198

Elite Member

DragonBlu

I've been down more than a few times in 46 years of riding. I went in for an ex ray of my ankle five years ago and they said "oh my, it looks like you have a major bone broke in your foot that was not treated." I'm like "oh yes I remember that,it was a little crash on my first motorcycle." A couple years ago I went in for carpal tunnel evaluation and they ex rayed my wrist and said "you have had a broken wrist and it was not treated. There are bone fragments floating around in there." That was a little crash in 1974 on a CB350. I try to be more cautious now and I have slowed down. I'm afraid to get anymore ex rays because it brings back bad memories.:D

Spunky99

Wait till you go to the Doctor and he looks at a X-ray of your spine and all he says is "Now that's some pathology"...

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

If you don't crash, you're not trying hard enough