There are two types of riders...

Have you ever laid your bike down?

• Total voters

RooKie

There are two types of riders... those who have gone down and those that will.

I was wondering how many of us have done it. If we have, what did we do and what could we have done (if anything) to prevent it.

Here's my story...

What happened - Started accelerating while approaching an intersection. As I entered the intersection the car coming in the opposite direction started to make a left turn and ended up blocking my path. I panicked and slammed my brakes. This caused my rear wheel to come off the ground and I ended up landing my motorcycle by slamming it on its side :(

Looking back - Even though I had the right of way, I should have approached the intersection more carefully. When the driver crossed my path I didn't have much reaction time, but now that I'm more experienced I think I would be better able to come to a quick stop without applying excessive pressure on the brakes.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
I fell asleep on my bike and rode into the side of the mountain haha. :D

Pretty much what happened. No sleep the night before and went on a ride first thing in the morn. Totally spaced out and came to as I was already going straight through a corner. :rolleyes:

Lesson learned: Get your sleep and don't ride unless you are 100%.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
First - 1982: CB750F Supersport, stunting wheelie at 60 mph and lost it. Bike totaled. Looking back? Stop stunting idiot! Cost? Loss of bike because no insurance.

Second - 2010 (28 yrs later): FZ1, small highside. Turning a corner and a car was stopping at the stop sign on the road I was turning onto. Her nose came out quite far forcing me wider in a split second or whack her grill with my helmet! Miss the car and roll the throttle only to discover the rear tire is in sand. Back end washes and caught asphalt causing the bike to flip over and toss me. Hit the ground in a tuck, rolled once and bounced onto my feet. Frame sliders and ATGATT FTW! Rode off. Looking back? Take blind corners more carefully and avoid teen girls driving with a cell phone!

Third - 2011: FZ1: Rounding a corner and found myself in a large patch of spilled diesel fuel. Lowside and slid into the rear wheel of a passing car going the other way. Gear and sliders FTW but the front fender snapped in half after catching her mudflap. No damage to her car. Picked up and rode to work pi$$ed off. Looking back? Not much one can do... ride this every day to work and there's a spill. Unexpected obstacle. Can't ride carefully ALL the time

CrazyCawi

Have never been down...knock on wood.

cloud9

Not yet, but one day was turning in the neighborhood when a kid came outta nowhere haulin ass in his civic... slammed my brakes as he swerved outta my way and my bike immediately tried to lowside, but I just planted my foot and caught it... probably damn near broke my leg. Was thankful AND surprised in my ability to catch it and not drop it.

Another time I thought I was going to bail, when I first started riding, turning through an intersection and caught some loose gravel. Rear end studdered, I let the throttle loose a bit and then put a bit back on and it evened out :)

So far so good ::knock on wood:: and I've been riding roughly 4-5 years now as my main transportation.

I am not naive however, and I know my number is coming :D I just gotta stay careful and be prepared for it so I can make the least of the event, and the most of the experience ;)

fltdriver

I picked the wrong one, one of the never should be close call.

* Riding through town past a local bar when someone in an Escalade pulled out in front of me-fishtailed but kept it upright.

* Riding with some friends through the country, following a group of (4) cars for over a mile 10mph under the speed limit, got tired of it and start to pass them on a straight away. Made it past the back car and was even with the 3rd in line (90mph in a 55) when the 2nd car, a SUV pulled into the passing lane without signaling and I almost rode up her backside. Hit both brakes but still had to ride the dotted yellow between them because I couldn't slow down enough.

* Going home from work (7am) with heavy fog when again I almost run up the backside of an SUV who was going 40mph in a 65 without her lights on. Glad I hug the center line of freeways otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance to swerve over.

I think I have issues with bikes and SUVs, which is weird because in cages I seem to only have problems with Chevy Luminas

JSP

Super Moderator
I picked the wrong one, one of the never should be close call.

* Riding through town past a local bar when someone in an Escalade pulled out in front of me-fishtailed but kept it upright.

* Riding with some friends through the country, following a group of (4) cars for over a mile 10mph under the speed limit, got tired of it and start to pass them on a straight away. Made it past the back car and was even with the 3rd in line (90mph in a 55) when the 2nd car, a SUV pulled into the passing lane without signaling and I almost rode up her backside. Hit both brakes but still had to ride the dotted yellow between them because I couldn't slow down enough.

* Going home from work (7am) with heavy fog when again I almost run up the backside of an SUV who was going 40mph in a 65 without her lights on. Glad I hug the center line of freeways otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance to swerve over.

I think I have issues with bikes and SUVs, which is weird because in cages I seem to only have problems with Chevy Luminas
Fixed it for ya! ;)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jocampo

Here's my story...

What happened - I was wearing shoe with laces. I was approaching to a traffic light that was red. I started to slow down when I discovered my left foot was stuck. So I tried to downshift without luck. I tried to move the feet away, no luck. And the bike keep slowing down... 25.... 20 .... 10mph ... :D ... I was so focus on my left (or I was so stupid) than when the bike finally stop, I failed to lean right and put my right feet. Instead, I kept my right feet on the brake, following the MSF rule that right should always be on brake when you stop. Then, at 0 mph and both foot on the bike, I went slowly down to my left. Really embarasing.

Looking back - I should have wear boots, or shoes without laces. Or, slow down and put right one down 1st, so I can later do something with my left shoe. !@#$% MSF course, lol ...

The cost of this was $300.00 bucks (with labor) ... :-( ... as I had to replace several parts that got scratched or broken, including the clutch lever.

RooKie

Here's my story...

What happened - I was wearing shoe with laces. I was approaching to a traffic light that was red. I started to slow down when I discovered my left foot was stuck. So I tried to downshift without luck. I tried to move the feet away, no luck. And the bike keep slowing down... 25.... 20 .... 10mph ... :D ... I was so focus on my left (or I was so stupid) than when the bike finally stop, I failed to lean right and put my right feet. Instead, I kept my right feet on the brake, following the MSF rule that right should always be on brake when you stop. Then, at 0 mph and both foot on the bike, I went slowly down to my left. Really embarasing.

Looking back - I should have wear boots, or shoes without laces. Or, slow down and put right one down 1st, so I can later do something with my left shoe. !@#$% MSF course, lol ...

The cost of this was $300.00 bucks (with labor) ... :-( ... as I had to replace several parts that got scratched or broken, including the clutch lever.
Oh man... that reminds me of a time I had just gotten home and realized that the inside portion of my left pant-leg had a dark streak of chain lube and was a bit torn. Was very lucky that my jeans didn't get caught on the chain. The next day I went to the store and bought jeans that didn't flap as much while riding.

CrazyCawi

Oh man... that reminds me of a time I had just gotten home and realized that the inside portion of my left pant-leg had a dark streak of chain lube and was a bit torn. Was very lucky that my jeans didn't get caught on the chain. The next day I went to the store and bought jeans that didn't flap as much while riding.
like these?

RooKie

like these?

LOL. More like this (guy in the middle):

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That would do the trick!

All my jeans from last year have a black mark on the inside of the left cuff. I'm not too worried about it catching in the chain.
Oh man... I wouldn't risk it having my clothes caught... wouldn't want to end up like this guy:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

See red

Oh yeh... I ate a bird going 65. Dam beak broke off in the viser and I lowsided on purpose as I could see anything with blood and beak in my view. That was on my terms though.

Only other was I got hit by a d-bag attempting to be cool or a super hero, not sure. He came through a corner WAaaaaaaay too hot, laid it and sent his bike right at me! I ditch the bike and went for a slide best I could. Not sense in flipping with it... I literally tried to low side it but actually unmounted and let it go on its own. Dunno maybe wrong choice but I found out the bike flew up and cartwheeled for quite a while, I walked away with two broken ribs.

Ps that sucks.

24KMACH

Not with the 6R so I put none. Only one accident on a bike in my life and that was in 1962 on my 1957 BSA Rocket. A 1955 Chevy made a left turn in front of me. I came very close to dying. My bike totaled out the car. I flew over the car one hundred feet. I ride as careful as possible but when your number is up that's Gods call. :)