There are two types of riders...

Have you ever laid your bike down?

• Total voters

CrazyCawi

You forgot the rule that almost took me out.
Invulnerability: "It won't happen to me!" - Accidents happen only to other people. Thinking this may lead to taking more unnecessary risks.

Going about 95 mph, late into the offramp, screwed the pooch on the slowdown and entered the curve marked at 25 mph at about 60 mph. Laid her down in a low side and bailed into the guard rail and she decided to flip and was totaled.
At the time I was racing and felt I could handle any situation and didn't properly manage my braking zone prior to a curve and suffered the result by breaking 3 ribs and dislocating a shoulder that a year later is still as bad as 1 month after the accident. It reminds me that I am not invulnerable and to make sure I am setup for each section of road before I get to it.
what bike were you on?

b_who

CrazyCawi

bryce how quick were u going in that corner u got ur knee down pretty quick

b_who

Umm i was going 65 then i got on the brakes and dropped it to 50 before the turn and probally 45 mph when my tire slid out because the throttle was closed

The turn had a sign saying suggested speed was 15, but it was a tight one

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

CrazyCawi

Im impressed

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

danlupu91

Hit a deer in the CITY going about 50.... those guys lurk everywhere not joust outside of town :lurking: . Always wear your gear... you never know what can jump out into you.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

80s Kid

Done it twice... both were good lessons:

First time - had stopped to help a rider that had been cut-off and gone down at the side of the road (a few scratches but he was okay). On my way home after, with visions of the recently fallen rider playing on a loop in my head, it was my turn... i took a U-turn too slowly.

Lesson - concentrate on riding but don't be overly cautious.

Second time - brand new tires, fresh rain, accelerated normally from a stop light, bike slipped out from under me.

Lesson - New tires in rain are like ice. Avoid it.

Ride safe. Always wear gear.

- Eighties -

Last edited:

80s Kid

In aviation, we have the mnemonic, "I'm safe":

• Illness – Even a minor illness suffered in day-to-day living can seriously degrade performance of many piloting tasks vital to safe flight. The safest rule is not to fly while suffering from any illness. If this rule is considered too stringent for a particular illness, the pilot should contact an Aviation Medical Examiner for advice.​
  • Medication – Pilot performance can be seriously degraded by both prescribed and over-the-counter medications, as well as by the medical conditions for which they are taken. The FARs prohibit pilots from performing crewmember duties while using any medication that affects the faculties in any way contrary to safety.
  • Stress – Stress from everyday living can impair pilot performance, often in very subtle ways. Stress and fatigue (lack of adequate rest) can be an extremely hazardous combination.
  • Alcohol – Extensive research has provided a number of facts about hazards of alcohol consumption and flying. As little as one ounce of liquor, one bottle of beer, or four ounces of wine can impair flying skills.
  • Fatigue – Fatigue and lack of adequate sleep continue to be some of the most treacherous hazards to flight safety, as it may not be apparent to a pilot until serious errors are made.
  • Emotion – The emotions of anger, depression, and anxiety may lead to taking risks that border on self-destruction.
It's a good checklist to keep in mind for riding as well.
I like that!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Botty12

Answering for me dad: has never been in an accident in 30 years of riding...a couple close calls, like when cars don't like to follow the curve of the road...but never hit, tipped, or bumped on his bike.

In 3 weeks of riding I can say NEVER! Lol...let's hope it stays that way for awhile.

BoneJj

In aviation, we have the mnemonic, "I'm safe":

• Illness – Even a minor illness suffered in day-to-day living can seriously degrade performance of many piloting tasks vital to safe flight. The safest rule is not to fly while suffering from any illness. If this rule is considered too stringent for a particular illness, the pilot should contact an Aviation Medical Examiner for advice.​
  • Medication – Pilot performance can be seriously degraded by both prescribed and over-the-counter medications, as well as by the medical conditions for which they are taken. The FARs prohibit pilots from performing crewmember duties while using any medication that affects the faculties in any way contrary to safety.
  • Stress – Stress from everyday living can impair pilot performance, often in very subtle ways. Stress and fatigue (lack of adequate rest) can be an extremely hazardous combination.
  • Alcohol – Extensive research has provided a number of facts about hazards of alcohol consumption and flying. As little as one ounce of liquor, one bottle of beer, or four ounces of wine can impair flying skills.
  • Fatigue – Fatigue and lack of adequate sleep continue to be some of the most treacherous hazards to flight safety, as it may not be apparent to a pilot until serious errors are made.
  • Emotion – The emotions of anger, depression, and anxiety may lead to taking risks that border on self-destruction.
It's a good checklist to keep in mind for riding as well.
aaaaannndd that's why I'm not a pilot... lol.

ChUcK

Innocent Ignorance said:
There are two types of riders... those who have gone down and those that will.
I have a problem with this mode of thought. It's too broad of a generalization and overly pessimistic. I'm pretty sure it's only uttered when a salty appearance is desired. At the very least, it should be "those who have and those who haven't" which is more accurate because it doesn't involve Nostradamus-like prophesies.

I can think of a multitude of equally useless pigeonholing:

Those who have mistakenly worn mismatching socks on a ride to Albuquerque, and those who will...

Those who have had the "Never let you go-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no Oh mamma mia mamma mia mamma mia let me go" line from Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in their head during their morning commute, and those who will...

And so on. This rant wasn't directed at anybody here specifically, particularly not the OP. I simply feel like it's a defeatist attitude, and the motorcycling world would probably be better off without its inhabitants subscribing to it. Don't be fooled by junk philosophy!

I've dropped my motorcycles many times at a standstill, but never at speed.

A couple months back some douche in a Mini Cooper tried playing the not-gonna-let-you-merge game when the carpool lane was ending. Running out of road, with this a-hole blocking, I tricked him into providing space and I went for it. He accelerated to close the gap and my axle bolt shredded his fancy right front rim like cheddar cheese. Serious Chariots of Fire type action. He hit his brakes and the axle bolt ripped off his bumper. The Displacement wiggled a bit but didn't go down, then he ran me off the road and tried to get physical. I called the police and somehow ended up with a ticket, a court date, and the bill for his self-inflicted Mini wounds. If any of you on the forums work in insurance, I do not respect your occupation.

It's been awhile since I've perused the fz6r forum, how's everybody doing?

BoneJj

Good to have you back Chuck. Sorry about your mishap with that A-hole. Seems like justice isn't blind, just stupid and greedy.
you're just now figuring that one out??? lol

But yeah, that's nuts that this douche is doing as he is, I hate it when people wont let you merge. I personally would have just taken off and left the idiot behind. Some people are just stupid... I see it everyday.

I hope the mini driver gets reckless endangerment..

ChUcK

I personally would have just taken off and left the idiot behind
That's what the cop said also- he asked "Why didn't you just lane split out of there? You'da gotten away"

I replied something about being more scared of that ticket than an Unsafe Lane Change, but it neither witty nor smooth. Lane splitting is about the only thing I miss about Cali.

The Mini driver got away with a new bumper, fender, and front wheel. I got the incredibly inflated bill. I have recently purchased basic insurance for this sort of thing, now that I am a commuter. I used to just ride whenever I wanted to, but I have to face the 9-5 Cager Ragers on their home turf now that I'm finally employed.

BoneJj

That's what the cop said also- he asked "Why didn't you just lane split out of there? You'da gotten away"

I replied something about being more scared of that ticket than an Unsafe Lane Change, but it neither witty nor smooth. Lane splitting is about the only thing I miss about Cali.

The Mini driver got away with a new bumper, fender, and front wheel. I got the incredibly inflated bill. I have recently purchased basic insurance for this sort of thing, now that I am a commuter. I used to just ride whenever I wanted to, but I have to face the 9-5 Cager Ragers on their home turf now that I'm finally employed.
Wow, you got stuck with all that crap??? That's messed up...

This is pure joking/stupid thoughts but...
You know, a cheap 22 rifle and silencer does.......... I'm sure you have this guys name and address as a result of the court case...

But then again you are the recent one to have dealt with him so if anything happens you will be looked at... lol.

I'm sure you could give a few kids 20 bucks and some eggs to throw at his house each weekend for a month or more, lol.

FastFreddy

You always have to think twice before you put yourself in a dangerous situation.

Especially at intersections, parked rows of cars with driveways in between, left turners (right turners in Australia), people pulling out onto the road, anytime you see kids playing etc. In situations like that you have to immediately slow down to a speed at which you could brake quickly and stop if you had to in an emergency, otherwise you're playing with fire and rolling the dice. Most of riding safe is observing other traffic and getting used to the patterns and situations that happen now and then, don't put yourself into the same bad patterns when it happens.

My rule is to always ride within your comfort zone, you'll get better over time without having to push beyond the comfort zone.

If in doubt with multiple lane roads, slow down and stay in the lane.

If in doubt over a crest or blind corner, slow down and stay slightly right (left in Australia).

Like Alaskaflyboy says with the emotion, don't go out riding hard if you've had an argument or feel tired or a bit off kilter in general, you've got to stay loose on the bike.