stoplights, do you keep it in gear or nuetral ?

S

Schybrid

someone said they keep it in gear , to have a way out if someone potentially is going to rearend them.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

kevin8198

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
You answered your own question... ;)

Always in gear.

BoneJj

I keep mine in gear at lights for the most part, unless I know I will be waiting a while and need my left hand for something.
That's pretty close to what I do. If it's a really long light and there are a number of vehicles behind me I might go to neutral but only to give my left hand a little reprieve from the clutch and then I go right back to gear.

I also take another precaution to help my situation out as well. I pretty much get into a lane splitting setup after I have come to a stop and the people behind me have piled up. This way if for some reason the jerk behind me does gun it then I am mostly out of the way already and they can potentially go right by my without hitting me.

I stop in my normal position in the lane and then after the person behind me stops ( I keep an eye out) I then move to the edge of the lane.

This has saved me some grief a few times now, Florida old fart drivers are ridiculous and notorious for rear ending bikes down here. Also doing this method always leaves me with a very good out in the event something happens. I don't have to swerve around the car in front me, just go straight forward mostly.

I have done this method a few times even with cops present and never had one issue, even had a couple cops give me a thumbs up as they watched me do my process.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Kayo7

Even though I was preeched to keep the bike in first gear when at a stop, I still tend to put it in Neutral. Don't ask me why but its just me and I tend to test my luck with other people on the road even though I have learned first hand that almost everyone in chicago on the road can't drive :)

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

bloodypulp

I stay in gear most of time unless my hand cramps up. Until car behind me comes to a stop and i'm sure i'ts not gonna barrel over me,i'm in gear.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member