Starting problem ?

T

TEACH1212

Bike would not start!!! Had to have a jump star, with throttle turned 1/4 way? Any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the battery. Could be dead or not holding a charge. If it's not the battery it's the stator (alternator) that isn't charging the battery.

What kind of riding do you do? Short quick, low rpm riding? If you do quick rides, the battery cannot charge itself. I believe the bike does not start charging the battery until over 5k rpm...

Also, just starting the bike to let it run for a second then turning it back off will drain the battery, for the same reason above.

Battery tender !!!!!!!!!!!!

Have kept tender on since day one. Always keep one on my bikes, even in the summer time. Think it is another problem. Thanks to all. Hope for some more feedback.

If the bike starts with a jump, then it just about has to be the battery. I'd check all connections for cleanliness and make sure they are tight. If it still won't start with the on-board battery, try another battery, or take yours out and have it tested. As already mentioned, you do have to ride it for some distance and get the revs up to get the alternator to charge it. Sometimes batteries just die prematurely, yours maybe one of those.

Its important to state the following when asking questions about starting:

1) Key on - everything powers up or not ie lights, dash etc.
2) Bike cranks over or not
3) Bike starts and dies or not

If you get a bike that cranks over your battery is fine. Unless its soooo slow then the battery might be an issue. If the lights are on bright and you have confirmed a good charge on the battery then your starter motor might be the problem. Look for bad wiring first or loose battery terminals. You state your using a tender...that hooks to the battery and might have loosened off your battery terminals causing your starter to not get enough power during the hard amp drawing start. However if you get close to a regular engine rotation then its not the battery or starter. You have a fuel, spark or air issue.

When you said you needed the throttle 1/4 open to start that sounds like a flooded engine. Not an issue if its once but if you need to do that every time then look at leaky injectors or some other reason youre flooding or fouling your plugs. Throttle position might be wrong or out of adjustment? Not sure on these bikes if thats possible.

My guess: Loose battery terminals:iconbeer:

Bike started right up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to dealer were i left my bike yesterday. The bike started on the first try. Same as brand new !!!!!!!!!!!!it was left out in cold garage with no battery tender on it overnight.

Battery checked out ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will find out if it happens again, left the bike there for another morning check. Will let you know. Thanks to all for the help.

Good news...

Yeah, did they give you any indication that there could have been an issue? Loose wire, goofy ecu, etc? Or did it just clear up on it's own.

could have just been a gremlin.... though those were usually only found hanging out in old Dodge cars;)

If it wasn't those damn gremlins :D, then maybe you said/did something to upset her...I'm convinced cars/vehicle/machine have a personality! Gotta treat them right or their screw with ya! Old car guys know what I'm talking about. :p

If I remember right (?), the headlight doesn't come on when the key is turned on initially. Is that right?

Youre right - the headlight is off when you first turn the key. The orange running light signals will be though. As will the rear light. And youre going to hear the fuel pump (if the engine cut switch is to RUN) and of course the dash lights...

Just a thought to the OP...you did have the engine cut switch to RUN right:D

BTW the only time I couldnt start my bike was when I started the bike for a drunk friend of mine and reved it up a few times hard when cold and then just shut if off. The bike was on for about 15secs. Then the next morning it wouldnt start and after cranking for 10-15sec I cracked the throttle open while cranking and it flashed up. I just assumed I had flooded it the night before:spank:

I recently had a starting issue too, and thought I'd pick everyone's brains on it...

I still have just under 3,000 miles on the bike. Recently added some engine oil, lubed the chain- prior to it happening... Here's what happened...

- Rode about 50 miles from Pasadena to Irvine for a SCAR meet.
- Rode about another 25-30 miles with the group.
- Stopped & parked outside in the sun for lunch in Lake Forest at The Habit.
- After lunch, went to mount up, pressed the ignition, and the engine wouldn't start.
- Cranked it about 3 or 4 times with a few seconds in between failed tries.
- It started on the 4th or 5th crank. Battery looks/ sounded fine. No warning lights on.
- Each time I cranked it, the starting "pulse" sounded perfectly normal- ie it didn't sound weak or anything like that. Only it didn't start until like the 4th or 5th try...

- Mounted up and rode about 5 miles down to PCH with the group.
- Parked outside in the sun. Hung out at Starbucks for about an hour.
- Engine started back up as normal on the first try.
- Rode home, stopped at gas station.
- No more issues starting.

Has this happened to anyone else, and what might have caused my 1 time starting problem? This is the first time this has ever happened. Should I be worried?

Thanks for everyone's feedback/ suggestions/ and/ or comments...

:headscratch:

Last edited:

Back