Wideband A/F meter?

jjmaine

Does anyone have any experience with a wideband A/F gauge on their motorcycle? Will it just plug into the o2 sensor bing on my Hindle exhaust?

I am contemplating one because (obviously) there are no ecu flashes for the Fz6r and no Dyno shops even close to me that can Dyno and tune my bike with my Power Commander. I only have the PCFC so auto tune isn't an option and I'm not interested in a PC6...

I'm thinking about the Koso wideband but I read the Innovate is better but no way to mount the screen on a bike easily? I quite like tinkering and tuning so I think it would be fun to mess with.

Also, will the 4 degree timing advance lean out the a/f ratio or should it stay the same since the advance rotor advances both the ignition and fuel injectors?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jjmaine

Hey Marthy, thanks! When you advanced your timing did it lean out your a/f at all?

I have a sneaking suspicion that my bike is a bit too lean now but no proof of that. It goes like a raped ape in the high rpms and runs fine but mostly the sound on start up just sounds lean to me. Kind of like a wheezy sound. I've got plenty of experience with jetting carbs and experimenting so I'm going off of that. I don't think it is dangerously lean but it makes me curious is all. I know it sounds foolish to say it's lean because of a sound but if it had carbs I'd adjust the fuel screws lol.

I wish I had the PCV instead of the PCFC as I would add auto tune.

audace

I've been looking into adding a wideband lately too since I'm about to put on an exhaust and I have an AEM X-Series lying around from my drift car.

One thing I saw, I think on an R6 forum, was that people would sometimes run into charging system issues because of the draw from the oxygen sensor heater circuit from a standard wideband. There wasn't a whole lot of clarification on it though. So I'm not sure if it was an issue with standard aftermarket widebands drawing too much current or if they just had a weak stator or something.

jjmaine

The koso wideband I was looking at runs on a small battery and if you want a backlight you can connect it to keyed 12v source so it shouldnt drain too much power at all. Not sure about yours though. I’ve put the idea aside for now since I tend to dove way too deep when I get into things like that and it will take time away from me just enjoying the bike.

I get too little time to ride as it is lol. I dont want to be staring at the air fuel gauge constantly.

jjmaine

I really wish there was a decent ecu flash available for this bike or I loved near a reputable place that could do one. it would be a million times better than a power commander imo.

audace

I really wish there was a decent ecu flash available for this bike or I loved near a reputable place that could do one. it would be a million times better than a power commander imo.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. It'd be so much easier to work with and have way more control.

I have an idea to allow for flash tuning that I'm considering diving into next winter instead of going with the Power Commander and FZ6 cams like I was initially planning on. It's probably gonna be more effort than it's worth for a typical scenario, but I wanna tear down the bike to refinish some things anyways. Figure I might as well give it shot while I've got everything apart.

jjmaine

Im not even looking for more power. Im trying to get rid of the hesitation that my bike has always had below 4-5k rpm. Past 5k the throttle response is fine. Does yours do that? I’ve tried dofferent air filters, power commander settings, exhausts with baffle and without. New spark plugs….

It bugs me because its always a bit lumpy when taking off and when it reaches 5k the bike gets a good boost in power. I know its an inline 4 but this is a bit more exaggerated than it should be and not as smooth.

audace

I definitely notice the way the power starts to build around 5k+. I don't recall feeling like my bike was hesitating or having a hard time down low though.

It definitely doesn't have a whole lot of "oomph" down low, but it still revs fine when giving it throttle. I did put an R6 throttle tube on my bike last year to shorten how much I have to twist though, so maybe that's made a difference.

jjmaine

Mine is a bit of a lurch but looking at the Hindle map, it has one weird spot at 2500rpm that they gave 23 fuel. That might be what im feeling, I’ll have to try a different map or change that value to 0.

My bike came to me with an exhaust and power commander fotted so I never got to feel it stock. Not sure what is “normal” and what is down to my setup. IMG_2530.jpeg

jjmaine

On the power commander, I wonder if I can load the Hindle map into 2 slots so I can modify one while keeping the other as it is. This map works awesome from 5krpm to redline for my bike.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jjmaine

Thanks for the info Marthy. Knowing now how big of a change just 7 makes had me convinced of the same.

I had a rare short day at work today because I had to go get the summer tires back on my car so I zeroed out that 23 and then the 21 and 41 (41 is a ridiculous jump in fuel Id say!) values in the 20% throttle column had me scratching my head as well so I changed them to 7 and 14 respectively. The name of the map file was “Hindle Autotune” so Im guessing thats how they made the map for Jroc but for whatever the case it recorded those odd fuel trims?

Just took a quick spin around the block (it’s about to start dumping rain) and after leaving my driveway, 2 stop signs and stopping on a straightaway to take off from 1st gear in a straight line, it was smooth!

No more weird hitch in its step. Of course time will tell since it was only a 5 minute ride but I can say that I ALWAYS felt it (and heard it) leaving my driveway and it didn't this time. If it was that simple all along haha🫣.

I didnt realize how easy it was to change the fuel trims until I watched a tutorial vid. Just type in your new value and hit send map. I also added the same map into a new slot and renamed it “Hind

AyeBeezyy

Ma
23 is a big number!!!

If you add 7 to the fuel map is the equivalent of going from 14:1 AFR to 13:1 AFR. So adding 23 out of nowhere... kind of have an idea that it might be an issue. Now the 6R like fuel down low if you look at my map. The rest can change from exhaust setup to another one.

I used the LCD-200 with the PCV & Autotune. You can see what's going on in real time and most important, you can log data of your ride and read it later on to massage the tune. I used MegaLogViewerHD to view the data.
Marthy would or could you send me your maps for the pcv fz600r…. I would gladly pay you for them sir. My email is [email protected] thank you