Electrical Issue: Potential Short to Ground?

Sean123098

Motorcycle wouldn't start one day, and no lights would illuminate when key was turned to on position.
I got a new battery for the next season, and even with the new battery nothing turns on.

While charging the battery, I got a "sulfate" error on the charger and was inclined to believe my bike was short-circuiting.

I tested for continuity between the positive wire and ground wire and found continuity. I unplugged the fuses one at a time and continuity was still present until the main fuse on the starter solenoid was pulled. I then pulled the connector/wires out of the solenoid and tested the female pins for continuity to ground individually. One out of the four pins tested positive for continuity to ground. It was the red wire with a white stripe (I'm not sure if it's supposed to have continuity with ground, but it's a red wire so...).

Additionally, I used a multimeter to read how much resistance was between the positive wire and ground wire and found 920 Ohms. When I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position, the Ohms dropped to 510 Ohms. The same happened when I unplugged and plugged back in item 65 (ignition fuse) from the wiring diagram in the service manual.

I've done some research into the starter solenoid being an issue but can't see how it would cause no lights to turn on at all when the ignition is turned on. I also suspected the ignition switch but when the ignition fuse is removed, continuity is still present between positive and ground, so I'm not sure there...

I'm including the wiring diagram from the service manual that I've been using below. Please help. Im dying here.

1713145972617.png

jjmaine

This place is a ghost town lol. Id help but Im no good with electrics. Id post over on the Fz6 forum those guys are more active over there and would help you out.

Jerzee55

Motorcycle wouldn't start one day, and no lights would illuminate when key was turned to on position.
I got a new battery for the next season, and even with the new battery nothing turns on.

While charging the battery, I got a "sulfate" error on the charger and was inclined to believe my bike was short-circuiting.

I tested for continuity between the positive wire and ground wire and found continuity. I unplugged the fuses one at a time and continuity was still present until the main fuse on the starter solenoid was pulled. I then pulled the connector/wires out of the solenoid and tested the female pins for continuity to ground individually. One out of the four pins tested positive for continuity to ground. It was the red wire with a white stripe (I'm not sure if it's supposed to have continuity with ground, but it's a red wire so...).

Additionally, I used a multimeter to read how much resistance was between the positive wire and ground wire and found 920 Ohms. When I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position, the Ohms dropped to 510 Ohms. The same happened when I unplugged and plugged back in item 65 (ignition fuse) from the wiring diagram in the service manual.

I've done some research into the starter solenoid being an issue but can't see how it would cause no lights to turn on at all when the ignition is turned on. I also suspected the ignition switch but when the ignition fuse is removed, continuity is still present between positive and ground, so I'm not sure there...

I'm including the wiring diagram from the service manual that I've been using below. Please help. Im dying here.

View attachment 42167
You are probably getting continuity from positive to ground because there will be 'some' load, a bulb, the speedo display, something. When you say nothing turns on, does that include the fuel pump?