Show Off your chicken strippies

Chucker

Yeah, looking at an FJR I really can't see myself hanging way inside and dragging knee.
It would be fun though...............if I was absolved of all liability.

JSP

Super Moderator
It would be fun though...............if I was absolved of all liability.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g92pUA7mWY]Dragging knee on Yamaha FJR 1300 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SZSCEwaCU&playnext=1&list=PL57974F0D6CADCC32&feature=results_video]Yamaha FJR 1300 Knee down, with sparks - YouTube[/ame]

RoadTrip

It's true that proper form allows one to take a given corner at a given speed, with less lean on the bike.

As cornering speed increases, so does lean angle. A truly aggressive rider, with good form, who takes tight corners really fast will have small or non-existent chicken strips.

A lack of chicken-strips does not mean that a rider has good form. It doesn't even mean that rider is fast or necessarily skilled. It does mean that rider is aggressive and rides hard, whether they do it with skill, or not.

At the beginning of the video for the book you mentioned, two new riders are checking out the strips on different bikes. True or not, they suggest rider skill.

Besides, it's just fun to compare and show them off! :D
There could be some truth in your idea of aggression vs strip size, if you get out there and blaze with a bit of DGAF for a little hit, then ya come back with small strips and yer like 'wtf, that's interesting'.... But, I did find a few slip-drifts on a session like that, if you get too aggressive, you might end up in a box, gotta keep smoothness at play as well on the streets, and emotions/self preservation in check. The grip limit may seem endless, but we all know it's not.

Last edited:

Detrich

LOL. Jay, i actually know the guy, Zach, in the first video u posted. He's a member of SCAR. And, it pains me to say that as advanced & skilled rider as he is- I've ridden with him on multiple occasions and yes, he is faster than fuck and rides like a bike cop.. LoL. About a year and a half ago he totaled that FJ u see in that video... Then he got an FZ1 right away and then totaled that at a track day a few months later.

For someone with that much skill, it just shows you that if you choose to ride recklessly or without good judgement- even the best of the best can eat shit on any given day- regardless the bike.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

gilkeyb

I recently did my first tire change on my 6R. I ended up going with the Raven 009, and went to a 170 rear. At the same time as the tire change I started getting a little more aggresive with body positioning, moving more towards the tank, as well as hanging off a little more and attempting to get towards the mirror.

On the factory tires, I had managed to get down to essentially no strip on the rear, but the front always had about 1/2" on either side that I couldn't get to (see first picture)

Since the change it seems the pehnomenon has reversed. I'm now left with about 1/2" of strip in the rear, and the front has gone all the way to the edge. I even had an instance where the front pushed hard through a turn, which i'm assuming is when I reached the edge of the tire.

So, my question for those more in the know than me: Is this change tire profile related, or body positioning related? Or a third answer of impossible to tell over the internet...i'm tending to think its related to the size larger rear, but im wondering if its because of my BP getting a little more weight towards the front of the bike?

So far the tires seem fine. I've put 800 miles on them in the last couple weeks and haven't noticed anything alarming yet. Except the downer of having rear tire I can't figure out how to get to!

Attachments

Chucker

It's all about the profile of the tire. I'm scraping my toes with Rosso IIs and have to take the sidestand off at the track, yet I still have about 1/2". When I put the stock tire beside the Rosso IIs, I see the difference in the profile. At full lean, I have a lot more tire on the road with the Rosso IIs.

Detrich

I think that I have improved a little bit recently... Yay :)

Still have a long ways to go tho... Sigh. :(

Every little bit of improvement is exciting though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348100644.690504.jpg

Grumpy

No corners to really carve where i live . :(

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Detrich

Thanks Buzz. Yah. It's a slow process. Wish there was a photographer in my area. But, the only one is rnckeymouse up at Mullholland. And, we all know what his videos look like. x.X.

bmw675

No corners to really carve where i live . :(
sure there is. do a track day next year at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet. You'll get rid of those strip in no time and be grinning ear-to-ear doing it. :D

Grumpy

sure there is. do a track day next year at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet. You'll get rid of those strip in no time and be grinning ear-to-ear doing it. :D
Oh I know the place ;) .

Was speaking in general Northeast Illinois geography.

I no longer have the funding to do track days otherwise I would for sure. Some day though :)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Detrich

lol I've been riding 3 years and mine still look like that. >.<

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member