instructions for how to derestrict yamaha XJ6N-L FZ6R

luke1088

This will be a very detailed account of what it had to go through in order to de-restrict my XJ6N-L and why I choose it over other manufacture’s LAMS bike’s. I would not recommend doing this until you are familiar with your bike or are on you “R” licence or had at least 1 year ridding experience on the road.
I don’t believe these bike are restricted anywhere els in the world, although in the UK you can buy a “restrictor kit” for the open bike and that would make it about the same power as our LAMS version.

PLEASE NOTE – this process is what “I” went through in Queensland Australia. I nor the FZ6R forum or anyone that post tips or info will be held responsible for the mods performed on your bike. I do not know what laws and procedures apply in other states. It is your own responsibility to check what you are allowed to do in your state inc QLD and whether or not any modification is legal and if it will affect your warranty or insurance. We are all big boys/Girls.... well sometimes :)

When I wanted to de-restrict my XJ6N-L last year (August 2013) it was really hard to find info on
A) How to do it?
B) Was it legal?

I did find a procedure by NightWolf on how to do it and it was excellent ( http://www.600cc.org/forum/fz6r-technical/21464-instructions-derestrict-fz6r-10-steps.html ) But it was dated
28-4-11 and whilst his procedure is still valid, my post focuses a bit more on the legal side of it and what hoops I had to jump through to get my bike de-resticted in 2013. I just wanted to post something a bit more up-to-date and I hope NightWolf does not mind me adding some detailed photos to his procedure.

I bought the bike new in June 2012. After 8 months of deliberating with myself I Settled on the YAMAHA XJ6N-L over a Honder hornet (fugly), a Suzuki Gladius (costly to de-restrict, but very comfortable) and the Kwaka Ninga (250cc and not fuel injected) all of which were LAMS (learner approved motorcycle scheme) bikes.
I found myself tossing up between the Gladius and the XJ6N-L. The Gladius was a very comfortable bike but lacked everywhere ells.

De-restricting: Gladius requires a computer change. The dealer quoted me $2900 and said that the power difference is barely noticeable after it has been de-restricted, he also said the fitted computer could NOT be remapped (I’m not sure how true that is). The XJ6N-L has a physical restrictor plate on the throttle butterfly. (See attached word doc for detailed pics with NIGHWOLF’S procedure) if you just want a one page step-by-step print out sheet NIGHTWOLF’s is great as it is. (link above)
Y-10/10, G-4/10

Looks: Simple..... The Gladius looks like a Learner bike, the XJ6N-L doesn’t, the Yamaha seems to have more personality. I think the only LAMS sports bike that looked better was the Ducati 659, but was an extra $5000
Y-9/10, G-7/10

Engine: I wanted the inline 4 for response, smoothness and high end exhaust scream over the V-twin of the Gladius. On paper the Yamaha outscored the Gladius.
Y-9/10, G-7.5/10

Comfort: The gladiolus was only marginally more comfortable.
Y-9/10, G-9.5/10

Mods: I could only find a handful of mods and accessories for both bikes, but performance modification seemed more plentiful for the Yamaha. And there seemed to be a few more visual and tricky mods for the Yamaha too.
Y-6/10, G-5/10

Overall: Y-43/50, G-24/50, kwaka250 came it at 33/10, but I dismissed it because I wanted a fuel injected naked bike.

I rated these bike only against new release (2009-2012) LAMS bikes, that’s why the scores are so high out of 10, these are not compared to open bike’s like your R6’s, R1’s, FX8’s, CBR’s, Monsters, etc..

De- restriction process
So the Absolute main factor in picking the Yamaha over anything ells was how easy it would be to de-restrict it. When I bought it in June 2012 I knew it was illegal to De-restrict it. In fact you were not and still aren’t allowed to modify a LAMS bike while it’s still LAMS, that means no exhaust upgrade weather it has a performance gain or not, no fender eliminator (which I think is illegal anyway), no changing of indicators, leavers, pegs or mirrors, even if you’re on your R licence. My intention was to sell it and get an open bike when it got my R licence, but with a glimmer of hope that the law would change when I was ready to get my R’s and it did, yeeehaa. In September 2012 you were allowed to de-restrict your LAMS bike. The wording changed from “ cannot be modified” to this:

“To be a LAM the motorcycles must be in the standard form as produced by the manufacturer. Any
motorcycle modified in a way that increases the power-to-weight ratio of the motorcycle is not LAM
approved regardless of whether it appears on this list.”
The complete PDF link is below.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Motorcycle safety/Learner approved motorcycle scheme/Lam_scheme_list.pdf

This confused me a little bit as it does not clearly say whether you can/can’t de-restrict you LAMS bike. I know it implies it, but it doesn’t say it.

I found this comment on another forum when Googling for my answers:
“But to do it legally you have to get the bike deregistered, then recomplianced, roadworthied and registered as the non-LAMs model. Total cost is upwards of $3-4,000, so much cheaper to just sell the bike to another learner and buy a Litre Bike ;)

This is absolutely untrue. The total cost for me to de-restrict my XJ6N-L was $299, $149 for the de-restrictor plate from Resart ( Want More Power? Resart Yamaha FZ6R / XJ6 De Restrictor ) and $150 for the guy to come out to my work and fit the mode plate. I did not have to deregister my bike, nor did I have to get it re-complianced or a new roadworthy cert.

In order - the processes:

1) De-restricted my bike before the guy came out to fit the mod plate as asked by him (do not ride it, it’s illegal at this point)
2) Once the plate is fitted and the guy has given you the mod cert, you are allowed to ride it to main roads “only”.
3) At main roads I give them the mode cert. And they update me rego no different to getting a mod plate for twin to single seater conversion (which I got the mode guy to do for me for an extra $50) lodging this at main roads costed me no money.
4) Then they gave me a receipt that summed up the mod and they posted me a new label that does not have LAMS on it.
5) MOST IMPORTANT: I made it very clear to the guy that fitted the mod plate and to main roads that I wanted it to state “no longer LAMS” so I knew it would be legal, this also opened up the opportunity to install performance mods, exhaust, retune/remapping etc...
6) ONCE A LAMS BIKE HAS BEEN DE-LAMS’D IT CAN NOT BE RE-LAMS’D. IT REMAINS AN OPEN BIKE FOR LIFE.

The performance spike after is really good, plenty of power and torque, especially with the Arrow Darkline fitted. After doing this, I have not yet had it tuned and I’ve only lost 10km off its range on a full tank. I expect it will run smoother and more fuel efficient after it has been tuned.

The main purpose for me writing this long winded post was to give people a clearer understanding off what has to happen leading up to the de-restriction. I also notice that most post’s relating to this are over 1.5yrs old.

Thanks for reading I hope I have answered a few questions and not bored anybody to much :p

If you want the word doc I wrote up with all the pic's that makes it a heap easier to understand and follow (as it's too big to upload here) pm me your email or reply with you email and ill email it to ya.

VRIIClubby

Not a bad write up Luke for the state of QLD, and although the LAMS scheme is now a National Scheme so the same "laws" are meant to apply to each state they are worded a little differently.

Im still a little confused as to "why?" bother? I understand your reasoning's for going through this process, but for all the trouble you have now completely crushed any resale value of your bike?

IMHO, If you loved (or anyone else loves) the bike this much, you should have sold the Leaner burner and purchased the unrestricted XJ6 and may have had pennies in the pocket for modifications after the change over?

I know here in NSW the LAMS bike demands a much higher premium over its unrestricted sister?

De- restriction process
So the Absolute main factor in picking the Yamaha over anything ells was how easy it would be to de-restrict it. When I bought it in June 2012 I knew it was illegal to De-restrict it. In fact you were not and still aren’t allowed to modify a LAMS bike while it’s still LAMS, that means no exhaust upgrade weather it has a performance gain or not, no fender eliminator (which I think is illegal anyway), no changing of indicators, leavers, pegs or mirrors, even if you’re on your R licence.
Now onto "modding";

Indicators, Screens, pegs, etc can all be modded legally if you are on your learners or full licence. The parts you fit must comply to ADR standards (indicators for instance that have a certain ADR).

The issue of fender elimanators doesn't seem to be an issue within Australia (is QLD different these days due to the bikie crack down?) as long as the plate is out where it should be, you have a number plate light to illuminate it at night and you replace the reflector than it is all legit.

If you can point me to a document that states otherwise I would be more than happy to read :)

As for exhausts etc, I guess it all comes down to how "lucky/unlucky/rude/arrogant" you are when you eventually deal with the PoPo!

For instance, my bike was modified for my learner and "P's" tests, No issues.
I have been pulled over a few times and had no issues, even when I was pulled over and had my licence confiscated ;) and the Officer went over everything, I was still fine.

and yes, my insurance company is aware of all my mods and they are all listed on the policy.

I also purchased this bike due to its cost effectiveness at removing the limiter when the time arrived, as I think many of us Aussies do. Even with that the Kwaka still appears to have the major market share of learner bikes.:zombie:

D

Deleted member 15382

Nice write up!

A LAMS to NON LAMS can be made back to LAMS as long as the compliance check is done by a dealer.

As for the figures, 150kw per tonne is the LAMS limit.

The Gixxer 650F also requires a $2000+ computer to de-restrict as my mate has just done this and was pee'd off when I told him mine cost next to nothing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

luke1088

Thanks mate.

Not a bad write up Luke for the state of QLD, and although the LAMS scheme is now a National Scheme so the same "laws" are meant to apply to each state they are worded a little differently.

Im still a little confused as to "why?" bother? I understand your reasoning's for going through this process, but for all the trouble you have now completely crushed any resale value of your bike?

IMHO, If you loved (or anyone else loves) the bike this much, you should have sold the Leaner burner and purchased the unrestricted XJ6 and may have had pennies in the pocket for modifications after the change over?

I know here in NSW the LAMS bike demands a much higher premium over its unrestricted sister?
True the restricted one does get you a bit more money.

Why derestric? I looked at just buying a factory open (in august) model from the same dealer i got my bike from. He said he would only give me $6200 trade in for my bike. I could have sold mine on the net for around $8000 if i was patient. But then he wanted to much for the open bike. In order to get an open bike it had to be a (2009 - 2012) because with the new lams adjustment, manufactures are no longer allowed to sell an open and restricted bike of the same model "here - AUS" hence the reason you cant buy an unresticted 2013 XJ6N-L. Thats why Ducati had to reduce the placment of the 969 to make our LAMS 959, they were no longer allowed to restict the 969 if they wanted to sell the full power one here. So i needed one like mine, the dealer had one XJ6N of the same year as mine (2010 - nothing later) but it was red ( i would have preffered black) he wanted to sell it to me for $9100 in 2013. I neary choked. His excuse was that he would have to get it shiped from yamaha on loan and because it hasnt sat in his show room for more than 60 days he could not do it any cheaper even though it was 3 yrs old. Now my dad is a car dealer iv seen and heard all the spealls of bulls@#t they throw at ya and told him he's dreaming he went to $9000 - i left. I was looking at a loss of $1000 and thats if i could get $8k for mine in a private sale (more like would have got about 7k if i didnt want to wait for someone to pay 8) or pay $300 to deristrict mine which was already broken in and was the same year as the new one he was offering and it was in the colour i wanted.

Short answer $300 and no wearing in VS $1k+ and wearing in.

The issue of fender elimanators doesn't seem to be an issue within Australia (is QLD different these days due to the bikie crack down?) as long as the plate is out where it should be, you have a number plate light to illuminate it at night and you replace the reflector than it is all legit.

If you can point me to a document that states otherwise I would be more than happy to read :)
True, same applies in QLD, but most people don't put the reflector back on, i know i havent.

I also purchased this bike due to its cost effectiveness at removing the limiter when the time arrived, as I think many of us Aussies do. Even with that the Kwaka still appears to have the major market share of learner bikes.:zombie:
Yeah the kwaka was, because it was chaep only $5500 ride away when i bought my bike ($9900 ride away). The new 300 has replaced the 250's and it's a fuel injected, unrestricted 300 but comes with a new price tag - $7600, but i looks great.

luke1088

Thanks sixes350

Nice write up!

A LAMS to NON LAMS can be made back to LAMS as long as the compliance check is done by a dealer.

As for the figures, 150kw per tonne is the LAMS limit.

The Gixxer 650F also requires a $2000+ computer to de-restrict as my mate has just done this and was pee'd off when I told him mine cost next to nothing :)
Corrcet - 150kw per tonne to a limit of 660cc. Did your mate find the performance jump afetr the derestriction on his Suzy was as significant as ours?

gibbo

Is it really a big power difference once derestricted? I bought my 2014 (2013) xj6nl as it ticked all the boxes for a first bike and as a daily ride with the hope once derestricted it would be like owning a R6. ..
I have put on over 5000km since buying the bike at the end of December.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

luke1088

Is it really a big power difference once derestricted? I bought my 2014 (2013) xj6nl as it ticked all the boxes for a first bike and as a daily ride with the hope once derestricted it would be like owning a R6. ..
I have put on over 5000km since buying the bike at the end of December.

Your bike came out 40% more power full than mine (2010). I haven't ridden one of the 2013 (new model) XJ6N-L's, but i know mine was about 33hp when restricted. yours being 40% more powerful at about 46hp. So my power was doubled when deresticted. you might not notice the power leap as much as i did.

unresticted they are either side of 70hp, an R6 is in the range of 125hp - 130hp.

The XJ6N/XJ6N-L use an R6 block but the bore and stroke are different and they use different cams. changing the cams is the first step to getting an XJ6N motor towards R6 territory. with miner mods (air filter, exhaust, juice box) you might get around 80hp once derestricted.

They are a great commuter bike though, i ride mine every day with absolutely no problems, great riding position. :)

Wozza

Information.......

.......would you mind sending me the Word document version please. I'm contemplating an XJ6-NL purchase here in Australia and would like to know the deretriction process in detail you outlined...........thanks Wozza

ST3RL0

Your bike came out 40% more power full than mine (2010). I haven't ridden one of the 2013 (new model) XJ6N-L's, but i know mine was about 33hp when restricted. yours being 40% more powerful at about 46hp. So my power was doubled when deresticted. you might not notice the power leap as much as i did.

unresticted they are either side of 70hp, an R6 is in the range of 125hp - 130hp.

The XJ6N/XJ6N-L use an R6 block but the bore and stroke are different and they use different cams. changing the cams is the first step to getting an XJ6N motor towards R6 territory. with miner mods (air filter, exhaust, juice box) you might get around 80hp once derestricted.

They are a great commuter bike though, i ride mine every day with absolutely no problems, great riding position. :)
Actually, I've been researching the fz6, fz6r and 03-05 R6 engines and one thing they have in common is the same bore and stroke (65.5x45.5). Bottom end (crankshaft and pistons) are the same but cams and throttle bodies are different

474kz

Hi Luke,

Awesome write up mate - I'm m in Brisbane QLD and seriously been considering doing the same thing to my 13 FZ6R. Really good to know that you've been successful at it :)

Got a question for you though, who did you wind up going to for the mod plate - the dealership or QLD Transport directly (any specific branch) ?

Cheers mate

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Hi Luke,

Awesome write up mate - I'm m in Brisbane QLD and seriously been considering doing the same thing to my 13 FZ6R. Really good to know that you've been successful at it :)

Got a question for you though, who did you wind up going to for the mod plate - the dealership or QLD Transport directly (any specific branch) ?

Cheers mate
You can DIY, a couple guys have done with some success
MrPyklet's actuator was pretty ingenious IMO
http://www.600cc.org/forum/406395-post1.html

Otherwise ResArt sell them here
but IMO $200 is a bit steep for something you fab yourself for $10

Malicioso

You can DIY, a couple guys have done with some success
MrPyklet's actuator was pretty ingenious IMO
http://www.600cc.org/forum/406395-post1.html

Otherwise ResArt sell them here
but IMO $200 is a bit steep for something you fab yourself for $10
Funny that I picked up a Resart plate for much cheaper than that, he must have upped the price since? IMO that plate is the easiest way to do this to the 6R...

With regards to fabricating your own, I work as a Mechanical Cad designer and the only way you can pull this off is by drawing something up in CAD and having a plate laser cut and folded in the right places, too much mucking around unless you have the know how and tools.

Bert-Aus

Funny that I picked up a Resart plate for much cheaper than that, he must have upped the price since? IMO that plate is the easiest way to do this to the 6R...

With regards to fabricating your own, I work as a Mechanical Cad designer and the only way you can pull this off is by drawing something up in CAD and having a plate laser cut and folded in the right places, too much mucking around unless you have the know how and tools.
There is a thread on here somewhere, where someone made their own out of 3mm plate and a coping saw!
(I know search, but I haven't the time to do that right now)

All they did was trace the restricted one onto the plate, and measure how much reduction was required to produce full open throttle

luke1088

Hi Luke,

Cheers mate
Soz for that late reply mate, i had a guy come to me at work. He gave me a certificate that i took to main roads.

luke1088

.......would you mind sending me the Word document version please. I'm contemplating an XJ6-NL purchase here in Australia and would like to know the deretriction process in detail you outlined...........thanks Wozza
If your still interested Wozza, send me ur email and ill email it to ya. (soz for late response)

luke1088

There is a thread on here somewhere, where someone made their own out of 3mm plate and a coping saw!
(I know search, but I haven't the time to do that right now)

All they did was trace the restricted one onto the plate, and measure how much reduction was required to produce full open throttle
To put it simply you just cut the "d!ck" off the restricted plate.

Malicioso

To put it simply you just cut the "d!ck" off the restricted plate.
You could do that but what if you want to revert back to stock?

I head from a fellow 6R owner that Yamaha wont sell you a stock plate and that if they do, they charge a premium for it, could be BS as I have never enquired to Yamaha for a replacement.

Not that I need one since I've kept mine intact :)

luke1088

You could do that but what if you want to revert back to stock?

I head from a fellow 6R owner that Yamaha wont sell you a stock plate and that if they do, they charge a premium for it, could be BS as I have never enquired to Yamaha for a replacement.

Not that I need one since I've kept mine intact :)
For that reason I opted to replace the plate rather than cut it (it was not legal when i first wanted to do it). I paid $160Aud from resart. Yamaha wanted $578, but this was when they sold both the open and lams versions.

Now In Aus (as of september 2012) they are only allowed to sell one version of a bike, so you Can't get the open plate from yamaha anymore (learners were getting sold open XJ6N's instead of XJ6NL's - dealer error), so we get the lams restricted ones here. In the UK the bike is sold full open, but you can buy a "restrictor plate" direct from yamaha. (the same plate that's fitted to ours)

Same for Ducati 659 L , they had to sleeve there 699, thus the 699 is no longer sold here.

So now (Nov 2014), if you want to legally de-restrict it, there is no going back to stock, just cut it. If you want to see how different it is or want to open it up without going threw the mucking around with main roads (illegal) then for sure I'm with Malicioso - DON'T CUT IT buy the plate from Resart.

gibbo

Its not illegal to modify a LAMS bike in QLD but it is illegal to ride a modify LAMS bike while on your restricted License.

Removing the restrictor is just like changing the exhaust or installing a power comander - they all increase the power output

474kz

Soz for that late reply mate, i had a guy come to me at work. He gave me a certificate that i took to main roads.

Hi Luke,

Could you give me the number of the guy that came out please mate? I appear to be not making a lot of progess with a guy from safety cert qld and qld transport - all this much fuss to do something legally ... sigh...

Cheers mate