Over Inflated Tire

redprodigy35

Ok so a quick story I thought I'd share with you guys.

Got on the bike yesterday and realized its been about 2 weeks since I checked my tires. I go over to my local Exxon, and put in 4 quarters to run the machine after I double checked that I was indeed low.

Topped off the front and back, I run 33/36. The front was @ 34 so I thought that was good enough, and the back (after I checked with my crappy gauge) was (I THOUGHT) @38. This is fine, I'm like cool it'll go down to 36 eventually and give me more time between air fills. Whats 2 PSI extra for a few days right? Later on I'll find out I didn't get a good seal with the crappy gauge and my reading was way off.

So la la la -- I go out to some familiar roads in the area with some limited twisties. One of my usual spirited riding routes...

Something was wrong -- very wrong. Bike felt stiff, took longer to come to a stop, all in all an awful feeling of "something is way off here".
I get to the twisty section and there is this one corner with a decreasing radius, blind setup. One of the most challenging corners for me to hold a good line while riding at a brisk speed. It's a commit fully or re-adjust awkwardly kind of corner. I love this corner, but it IS challenging for me. I must have taken it 200 + times by now, always working on my technique and keeping aware that I am somewhat pushing MY limits as I take it on.

I'm mid corner, I'm leaning, steady throttle increase... REAR WHEEL SLIPS. I instantaneously correct without thinking. I'm just about to let out an exhale to relax, when it happens again!

HOLY BANANAS (#&$%)!

I pull over 2 miles down @ a spot where i usually take a quick smoke/water break. I check the back tire...

48 PSI :zombie:

I think I could have easily popped it.

I let some air out and everything was fine for the ride back home.
Don't rely on made in China stuffs even if they are simple as a psi gauge. Double check your setups, and keep in mind that even routine maintenance and regular everyday stuff (safety checks) needs to be done thoroughly.

A good PSI gauge is indeed good to have. Also though, do not fill your tires when they are warm. Check/fill on cold tires.

A good PSI gauge is indeed good to have. Also though, do not fill your tires when they are warm. Check/fill on cold tires.

+1 on checking cold tires.

Even if your gauge read 48psi hot, it may not have been as bad as you think. I sometimes check the psi in the AM and it reads 32 front, by the time I get to the gas station 1/2 mile away, my PSI is already up to 34... no error on the gauge, it's just the air in the tire heating up and increasing the pressure.

At that point I put the front tire up to 35-36psi. The next day in the AM I recheck again and the PSI is between 33 and 34 (as it should be).

Reactions: JT

sometimes you have to check/fill your tires when they are warm.
As long as you know how much pressure your tires gain when heated up you are good to go.

ie: if i set my tires cold, they usually gain 2-3 pounds when heated up.

I've also noticed a lot of mechanical gauges are inaccurate...

Nowadays I just read the gauge off my Black & Decker portable pump. It seems to work much better.

:)

As people mentioned, check your tires when cold. Sport riding or high speed riding can raise the tire and air's temperature way higher than normal. I touched the tire on my friend's VFR after we had been charging around some really twisty mountain roads, and it was quite hot to the touch.

Back