Nova Scotia, 2-Up, FZ6R Ride Report - You Really CAN Tour On It

NoDoze

WOW! What an adventure! Thank you so much for sharing your travel and bringing us along with you. :thumbup:

Superzoom

Epic story right here, thanks for sharing. Its funny I was just talking to the wife about taking a nice big trip for a week or two on the bike on our way back from PF Chengs tonight
I hope the trip planning goes well for you and your wife. I am lucky to have a girlfriend who actually encourages me to ride and enjoys riding with me.

What destinations are on your short list?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

Damn I'm jealous! I want a big trip like that, especially with my girlfriend! Thanks for the moose pictures it was really special, I love nature. :thumbup:

Superzoom

Damn I'm jealous! I want a big trip like that, especially with my girlfriend! Thanks for the moose pictures it was really special, I love nature. :thumbup:
Well I hope you get a chance for your big trip soon.

The moose incident was really awesome and definitely special. It seems even more special when you spend eleven months out of twelve stuck in the city.

Jay S.

Superzoom, that was (insert swear word here) amazing! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us. What a beautiful trip. Makes me want to head up there from Texas!

Thanks again brother...I agree with Cautious...EPIC!

:D

Superzoom

Superzoom, that was (insert swear word here) amazing! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us. What a beautiful trip. Makes me want to head up there from Texas!

Thanks again brother...I agree with Cautious...EPIC!

Hey Jay S.,

Thanks a lot. It's quite the trip from Texas. But they do say the Cabot Trail rivals the best roads in the world. However, the nice people and welcoming culture also make the trip worthwhile.

Jay S.

With all the recent posts about the Givi 35's I wanted to bump this thread to compare the Givi 21 saddle bags. I want hard bags for an upcoming trip but the 35's are twice the cost. Plus from what I understand the 21's brackets are easier to remove if you don't want the bags on all the time. There is also the difference in clamshell design vs top loading.

Discuss...

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superzoom

Hi Jay,

Well, as an E21's owner, I can offer this pros/cons list...

PROS:
- cheaper (by a lot)
- light but quite strong (minimal but not cheaply made)
- OK looks (I paid extra for gloss black tops)
- the top-loading makes the bags very practical. When I tour, I'm in and out of my side cases all the time for gloves, water, tools, etc. I even keep a mini tripod in a side case for quick access. With top-loading, I can be in and out of my bag in five seconds.
- if I ever crash on this bike, I won't cry about the scratched up case. I'll just replace it because it's so inexpensive.
- not sure, but it might make the bike narrower than the E35's for lane splitting, etc.

CONS:
- smaller, although being top-loading, you can really cram them full, and I do
- not as attractive as E35's, and not as integrated in appearance
- esthetically, they're just OK and balance wise, they look a little small (but the E35's, in my opinion, look a little big)

Since I haven't tried the E35's, this list is purely from an E21 point of view. Having owned my E21's for two seasons, I don't think I would switch to the E35's even if I could do so for free. The E21's just happen to suit my needs really well. If I could change anything about them, I would make them slightly larger (maybe 30 litres), and sleeker looking.

All-in-all, I really, really like my E21's. They've served me well on a 3000 km trip and a 4000 km trip, as well as countless commutes and shopping trips.

ksanbon

Superzoom,

Wonderful trip, great presentation, fabulous pics. Thank you!

Jay S.

Hi Jay,

Well, as an E21's owner, I can offer this pros/cons list...

PROS:
- cheaper (by a lot)
- light but quite strong (minimal but not cheaply made)
- OK looks (I paid extra for gloss black tops)
- the top-loading makes the bags very practical. When I tour, I'm in and out of my side cases all the time for gloves, water, tools, etc. I even keep a mini tripod in a side case for quick access. With top-loading, I can be in and out of my bag in five seconds.
- if I ever crash on this bike, I won't cry about the scratched up case. I'll just replace it because it's so inexpensive.
- not sure, but it might make the bike narrower than the E35's for lane splitting, etc.

CONS:
- smaller, although being top-loading, you can really cram them full, and I do
- not as attractive as E35's, and not as integrated in appearance
- esthetically, they're just OK and balance wise, they look a little small (but the E35's, in my opinion, look a little big)

Since I haven't tried the E35's, this list is purely from an E21 point of view. Having owned my E21's for two seasons, I don't think I would switch to the E35's even if I could do so for free. The E21's just happen to suit my needs really well. If I could change anything about them, I would make them slightly larger (maybe 30 litres), and sleeker looking.

All-in-all, I really, really like my E21's. They've served me well on a 3000 km trip and a 4000 km trip, as well as countless commutes and shopping trips.
You are thinking a lot like me. I'm getting ready for a 5K trip in May and I'd hate to spend the money on the 35's if I really might only use them a couple times for long road trips. I have no intention of keeping the bags on day to day. I also like the top loading feature and I think it might be narrower as well. My wife and I park in our garage so I keep the bike in a shed and the 35's would be too wide for the shed door, however, I'm told the 35's pop right off in seconds so that might not be a problem for the 35's. I think the 35's look nicer and flow with the looks of the bike better but from some angles they seem a bit too big, if that makes sense? I'm thinking the 21's are better suited for MY type of riding/use. I'm not saying they are superior so no one get all uppety about my opinion. Haha!

Zoom, what brackets are you using? The SW-Motech? That is the only ones I could find for the 21's. Bottom line...for my 2 week trip I don't want to use my soft bags. I'd rather be able to leave the hard bags on the bike at night and just take off my duffle bag and tank bag.

Is anyone using hard saddlebags other than the 35's or 21's?

Anyone else feel free to chime in or we can start another thread. I hate to take away from this awesome trip report.

As always, thanks Zoom.

Last edited: