New member welcome thread

touandsoua

Okay...

I hail from the twin cities here in Minnesota. My nationality is Hmong and I am honored to be a part of this group. I am a noob to m/c. I have long admired sport bikes from afar but never really thought about riding/getting one myself. I finally got the excuse to get one because my buddy, also a noob, decided to get one for himself. As his first bike, he purchased the '08 CBR600. For myself, after long and hard deliberating, I decided to go with a more practical FZ6R. The battle between getting this one and the Ninja 250r was making me insane. I wanted a starter bike but leaned towards a more powerful one that wouldn't bore me after a couple of years. So it happens, I purchased the '10 Yamaha FZ6Raven. As for riding it, I haven't yet. I just got it 2 days ago. It sure does look pretty sitting in my garage though LMAO.

Any advice for me starting out? How do you properly break-in a bike? I'm still on the balls of my feet when sitting on it...should I get a lowering kit from R Toyz?

WarEagle07

I think the height should be fine if you can at least contact with both feet. I recommend taking a motorcycle course if you have not ridden before. The FZ6R isn't a racing bike but she will put you on your ass if you are not careful. Just take it slow and befriend an experienced rider.

ajcatx

From Austin

Hello all I am new to this forum. I just recently purchased a blue 2009 FZ6R and have been having a ton of fun with it. The Mod bug has bit me and I wish there was more cool stuff for this bike. I hope as the year goes on more stuff will come out. I am 37 and live in Austin, TX.

MikeN02

Okay...

I hail from the twin cities here in Minnesota. My nationality is Hmong and I am honored to be a part of this group. I am a noob to m/c. I have long admired sport bikes from afar but never really thought about riding/getting one myself. I finally got the excuse to get one because my buddy, also a noob, decided to get one for himself. As his first bike, he purchased the '08 CBR600. For myself, after long and hard deliberating, I decided to go with a more practical FZ6R. The battle between getting this one and the Ninja 250r was making me insane. I wanted a starter bike but leaned towards a more powerful one that wouldn't bore me after a couple of years. So it happens, I purchased the '10 Yamaha FZ6Raven. As for riding it, I haven't yet. I just got it 2 days ago. It sure does look pretty sitting in my garage though LMAO.

Any advice for me starting out? How do you properly break-in a bike? I'm still on the balls of my feet when sitting on it...should I get a lowering kit from R Toyz?
I agree, the MSF course is the best class I've ever went into. I recommend taking it and I would like to sit down and listen to the stuff again when my friend takes it.

My advice is to always keep aware of whats going on around you, always wear gear don't be a squid, and be careful on those roads.

As for the height, it depends all on you. If you feel confident enough without being flat foot then don't lower it, but lower it if it's the only way to stop you from dropping it.

bikerchick13

Well hello,
My name is Shannon& I live in Chickamauga, Ga. I think it means field of blood(civil war) kind of an oxymoron who ever heard of a civil war nothing civil about it. Any way I'm 38 and this is my 2nd bike, 1st was an 82 yamaha maxim 650 that I got last spring.I put almost 3k on it,and I got my fz6r 1month and 6 days ago and I have put 1450 miles on it. I just love it.I hove 3 grown children one is almost 22 & the other 2 will be 20 in June.I'm expecting my first grand child in June also-yeah! I drive an 18 wheeler for a local company. I have two dogs Cody & Rocky. And a cat Molly. And I Love JESUS!
God Bless and stay safe. Pray before you ride:cool:

bjs045

Well hello,
My name is Shannon& I live in Chickamauga, Ga. I think it means field of blood(civil war) kind of an oxymoron who ever heard of a civil war nothing civil about it. Any way I'm 38 and this is my 2nd bike, 1st was an 82 yamaha maxim 650 that I got last spring.I put almost 3k on it,and I got my fz6r 1month and 6 days ago and I have put 1450 miles on it. I just love it.I hove 3 grown children one is almost 22 & the other 2 will be 20 in June.I'm expecting my first grand child in June also-yeah! I drive an 18 wheeler for a local company. I have two dogs Cody & Rocky. And a cat Molly. And I Love JESUS!
God Bless and stay safe. Pray before you ride:cool:
thats awsome :rockon: and welcome!

dbw727

Hello-
I have lurked in this forum and posted a few times since purchasing my '09 Raven FZ6R about 3 weeks ago. It was my first bike, and I decided on it after quite a bit of research and a good trade-in for my previous ride- a Yammie Zuma 125 scooter (fun toy). This toy is a LOT more fun. I live in Jax, FL and have 2 boys- 7 and 5 yo. I am 33 and work in project finance for a local design and construction company. Took the MSF class last year (to get moto endorsement for scooter, ironically) and HIGHLY recommend to all new riders. Just finished my first mods this week, new Targa FE, and IR frame sliders. Already have the r6s mirrors and flush mount front turn signals, just need to put on when I have some time. Thanks to all on this forum for the great insight so far!!

scoobienorth

well i am from a small town in northern british columbia, and i just purchased my new 09 fz6r in yellow,as the yellow is pretty hard to find i have to wait 2 weeks before i can pick it up. I cant wait pretty excited,as this is my first bike and am new to bikes.

Krappy

Hello every one, I am from Iowa but live in Northern VA D.C. area. I just got my 1st bike, the 2010 raven. I am going to the MSF on the 30th so i haven't even gone out yet all I do is stare at it. I cant wait to start ridding.

Insure Gal

+1 on the course guys, could not agree more. Do it up right and you will have less nasty surprises down the road.

Proven fact the MSF has saved many lives in the past

Oh and welcome from another noob (to the site but not to riding) peeps!

BrianDublanko

nEW HERE

Hi i'm new here. Been lurking around for a while now. My son and i decided to Take the MCSC together and learn to ride. Just bought a new FZ6R a week ago. about 1/2 finished breaking it in with 700 km. Very happy so far with the bike so far. I'm 53 and was never on a bike till the safety course 2 weeks ago.

CDN6R

Hello from Nova Scotia.

Hello All. Just bought my FZ6R today,this morning in fact. It is a left over 09(yellow) and my first motorcycle (a scooter last year) since 1995. Being that it is Saturday,my Insurance Company is closed so I could not take the bike home (legally). So I am picking it up this Tuesday. I can hardly wait.:D Forgot to mention,,my name is Laurence,but I go by Laurie,,to my friends.

Last edited:

SupremeBean

A "Hi guys" from Texas.

I've been lurking here for a while; started a few months ago when I was in the gladius vs fz6r vs naked ninja 650 research phase that all of us noobs seem to go through.

Mrs. Bean and I decided to take the MSF course together to learn to ride and see if we actually liked it. Needless to say, we were addicted and set out shopping.

We each bought new FZ6Rs about two weeks ago. They are our first bikes and break all the beginner rules (fairings, 600cc, weight, etc.); however, they are awesome so far. I can't believe I waited this long to experience the feeling that riding offers.

I'd like to thank the members for helping me install two sets of frame sliders tonight; I had to search and search to find the proper torque for the bolts, your posts really helped.

That stuff should really be in the owner's manual. :D

Unfortunately the frame sliders were put on a tad late; Mrs. Bean took an unplanned detour off road a few days ago and scratched her bike's right side a bit:(; she was sad, but no injury, so no foul.

CDN6R

Hey Bean,wondering what frame sliders you purchased. Yamaha or aftermarket? Did you have to cut anything? I'll be the first to welcome you to this club!:welcome::welcome:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

SupremeBean

Hey Bean,wondering what frame sliders you purchased. Yamaha or aftermarket? Did you have to cut anything? I'll be the first to welcome you to this club!:welcome::welcome:
Thank you for the welcome.
I got the Intuitive Racing frame sliders; got a decent deal for 2 sets. They were the only ones I read about that didn't have any complaints about the fit while
putting them on.

They are no cut sliders, and a piece of cake to put on.

owldaddy

Hi, my name is Don. I live in the Central Valley of California. I have been posting here for about a month and thought this was a good time to introduce myself. I'm 58, been riding since I was 16. Have owned many bikes over the years. I'm a retired Plant Engineering Supv. from one of our National Labs. Now I fill my days riding or kayaking. I own a BMW that has been an excellent machine, but I wanted something lighter, shorter and easier to handle. I bought the FZ6R because the ergonomics fit me well. I have to say it is a fun machine to ride, the BMW is sitting in the garage wondering where I have been lol. I'm feeling guilty.

Pidge

Hey everybody! My name is Jaimie. I was born and raised in South Dakota and moved to Denver about 6 years ago. I've always wanted to ride my own motorcyle, but didn't actually pursue trying it until recently.

I'm very new to this, but there is nothing I want more right now than to ride the twisties of the Rockies. I'll be thrilled when I can keep up with my friends who have several years of experience riding bikes much larger than mine.

I'm 27 years old, married with two dogs, a cat, and a fish. I have dreams to accomplish my career goals and I am working hard to get there, including going to school.

If you have any tips or advice for me (being that I am a noob), please don't hesitate to let me know! I feel that all the advice I can get from experienced riders will only make me a safer and more knowledgable person when it comes to riding. I welcome the day that I feel as safe on the bike as I do in my car.

AND, if you want to go for a ride and are willing to teach a noob some skills, let me know!

- Jaimie

M

mas4489

My name is Mark, 32 yrs (33 here in 2 weeks) live in Columbus Ohio
I used to ride dirt bikes around the back yard and open fields when i was younger. Decided I wanted to get a bike to ride back and forth to work to help save on gas (at least thats the excuse i told wife).
Picked up a 2009 blue FZ6R about 3 weeks ago, I was worried about which bike to get. Think i found the right one, liking it more and more everyday.

clsmoove

NYC newbie...

Hi guys!

I'm a first-year rider who has also been lurking on this forum for quite a while.
I bought my '09 white/blk/pink fz6r about a month and a half ago, and I'm in love (her name is Daynjah :)) Granted, this whole "breaking in" thing is a big tease and is a big headache, especially living in NYC but once I've gotten over some of the fears of riding in Manhattan, I'm sure it'll be smooth sailing!

I didn't realize how involved this whole process was! It feels as if there is so much to learn ALL the time...and the intricacies of riding that were not mentioned in the MSF course are endless.

However, I'm loving it. It's such a liberating experience and this community is a GREAT way to learn and share experiences. I look forward to it.

Clsmoove :p