New member welcome thread

MikeN02

Hey everyone, I just put a down payment on a 2009 FZ6R. They had the 2010's in stock but a couple 09's left so I got a deal. I pick it up on the 15th after they get it ready for me with a couple mods I wanted installed right off the bat. I have been looking at getting a bike for years now after riding the piss out of a scooter I had in the city. Got the damn thing up to 90kph, but that still isn't fast enough for the freeway. So now that I have joined the Royal Canadian Airforce it's time for a real bike. I looked at getting a ninja 250r for a while but was talked out of it after hearing freeway riding on it was less than ideal. Can't wait to pick up Blue FZ6R, counting down the days! :)
I rode next to an old school Ninja 250 on the freeway, though there was traffic... I did blow it out of the water.

DjOrchie

I rode next to an old school Ninja 250 on the freeway, though there was traffic... I did blow it out of the water.
Well you can get up to 180kph on those things, thats why I thought it might be alright. Plus I have heard tons of people encouraging new riders to start small. But after hearing a bunch of people saying being passed by a semi on the freeway while riding a ninja 250 was down right scary, I decided against it ;)

MikeN02

Well you can get up to 180kph on those things, thats why I thought it might be alright. Plus I have heard tons of people encouraging new riders to start small. But after hearing a bunch of people saying being passed by a semi on the freeway while riding a ninja 250 was down right scary, I decided against it ;)
I have to say, it did look really small. The newer 250s look bigger. He was rocking a Shoei helmet though, and he was also under 21 lol.

Semi's are scary period, I alway look at car tires who are really close to me to see if they make their move, but with semi's I just downright throttle up and pass by them. If a cop pulls me over I'll just say that I didn't feel comfortable next to a semi, especially since it has a huge blindspot and I just needed a burst of speed to get away from it.

ThaJonez

Whats up Everyone. My name is Derrick and I've been sneaking
around in the background since Oct/09 lol. I'm from Va and it
seemed like a good time to make an entrance since I get my bike
tomorrow :D. 09 Fz6r Raven.

rjsantana20

Well, after many years of wanting a motorcycle I've finally got my motorcycle license about 3 years ago. And after what felt like a lifetime, I finally purchased my first bike 2 weeks ago. I got an 09 Yamaha Blue FZ6R and I'm loving it. Hi everybody, I'm Rob from NJ/USA and thanks to this forum, I have been learning a lot about my bike and the mods that I want to do. I have bought some stuff and will be posting pics soon.

Halon

I'm new in the phoenix valley and just bought my new 2010 FZ6R as a daily driver as my commute to and from my job is about 35 miles each way (yeesh!). I initially had wanted to get the sv650 gladius, but the look (And the denial of the loan by the suzuki bank...) drove me to the Yamaha. The driving enthusiast in me wanted the R6, but the part of my brain that respects life and skin forced me toward the FZ for my first bike.

But about myself; I work full time and am trying to get my feet under myself to afford school in the near future. I'm looking forward to learning more about my new machine and learning more about how to get the most out of it.

MikeN02

I'm new in the phoenix valley and just bought my new 2010 FZ6R as a daily driver as my commute to and from my job is about 35 miles each way (yeesh!). I initially had wanted to get the sv650 gladius, but the look (And the denial of the loan by the suzuki bank...) drove me to the Yamaha. The driving enthusiast in me wanted the R6, but the part of my brain that respects life and skin forced me toward the FZ for my first bike.

But about myself; I work full time and am trying to get my feet under myself to afford school in the near future. I'm looking forward to learning more about my new machine and learning more about how to get the most out of it.
Welcome! Wow, a 2010! Great! You're one of the few who has a 2010 here. Is it your first bike? 2nd? What drove you to get a 2010 instead of a 2009? Might be cheaper imo

Also, unless you're a superhero... I wouldn't ride a entry level supersport bike to commute to and back to work... just because I imagine 35 miles would be more than 20 minutes... after 20 minutes your wrists and back would start hurting and you would have to do that daily since you work a full time job.

But back to business... this is a great place to learn some new and old information about your new love. Ask away if you have any questions!

Christina2113

Hey Everyone!
My Name is Christina and I just got my 2009 Yamaha FZ6R a little over three weeks ago...
Due to the crazy weather here in Colorado I've only put on a little over 100 miles -
many more to come :)
Anyone from Colorado? I'm always looking for new people to ride with and I'm especially
interested in all your guys' expertise and advise on modifications for my bike!
What an awesome site :wav:

Christina2113

Welcome! I went through the same thing...
Wanted to get an R6 instead, but I have a little 4 year old to think about
so I ended up getting the FZ6R. I absolutely LOVE the Bike!
Still has the sporty look like the R6 but the riding position is soo much more
comfortable! This is a great site to get info about the Bike.
Now all we need is more money :)

Detrich

Welcome, welcome... :)

WarEagle07

Hello all I guess its time that I formally introduce myself. My name is wareagle07 I am the proud owner of a brand new FZ6R. This in my 4th bike I have owned. I bought the bike yesterday and have put close to 200 miles on it already :)

Detrich

Congrats & welcome! Team Yamaha blue is a nice color :)

Jenn62501

My name is Jennifer. I am 26 and from Poughkeepsie NY. Even though I've had my license for 4 years I still consider myself a beginner. I took the course to get my license 4 years ago because I wanted to have a baby and my husband wanted to wait! The next summer I had my first so I didn't ride. the next summer I rode for a month or so before finding out I was pregnant w/ #2. The next summer I didn't ride.
This summer I traded in my 89 Ninja 500 as well as my childbearing for an 09 pearl FZ6R.

MDRaven0223

My name is Jennifer. I am 26 and from Poughkeepsie NY. Even though I've had my license for 4 years I still consider myself a beginner. I took the course to get my license 4 years ago because I wanted to have a baby and my husband wanted to wait! The next summer I had my first so I didn't ride. the next summer I rode for a month or so before finding out I was pregnant w/ #2. The next summer I didn't ride.
This summer I traded in my 89 Ninja 500 as well as my childbearing for an 09 pearl FZ6R.
Congrats and welcome Jennifer. I'm originally from Hudson, right up the road from you. Would have loved to have had my motorcycle when I lived up there with all the beautiful scenery and mountains. :)

Kleinfalls

My name is Brian i'm 41 - from Dallas - I got divorced when I was 33 - and decided I would finally get what I was never "allowed" to have - so I went and bought a 2003 yzf600r on a friday - without a license - found a MSF class for that weekend - passed it - went to DMV monday morning first thing - passed written - and went and picked up my first bike LOL then got remarried 4 years ago - my new wife loves to ride and eventually wants to get her own bike - but new blended family and new house - never had time to ride - sold the yzf600r - then started really missing it - here in Dallas you can ride probably 10 months out of the year - although summer is kind of rough in the heat - so bought the fz6r last spring and love it - more aggressive styling than the old bike - looking forward to getting some mods on it this weekend - so glad I found this forum - great info and lots of help from folks - thanks!!! hope our fz6ers gets more love from the aftermarket guys than my old yzf600r did

Stoppsladd

Hi!

Im from sweden, 33yrs "young" and i got my black XJ6 2009 (nude one) a couple of days ago. Its a second hand buy, but i think i got a nice deal anaway.

Had a couple of bikes during the years mostly yamahas.
Type and year of model

TT600R 2000
XT660X 2005
R6 2000 (crashed) crushed shoulder and broken leg....
R6 2003 (old EM bike that i used for road fully tuned)
RD 250 1982
RD 125 Dont remember year

And some other bikes of other brands....

I will probably go for the R6 exhaust mod on my XJ6.
Already opened the airbox up and tuned the throttlestop.

99North

Hi there! I picked 99North as my user name because you can't go wrong heading North on Hwy 99 to Whistler and beyond on a bike. I'm a policy analyst by profession, live in Vancouver BC, like to read The Economist, and generally think and talk about stuff that many would consider dull, boring, and by extension, 'nerdy'.

Thanks to a supportive wife (yes, it was her idea!), I picked up a new '09 FZ6R two weeks ago. This is my second bike after an extended break. My first bike was a Honda CBR 600. It was my only means of transportation when I was in university. Due to limited funding, I had to make a choice - bike or car. Following a course with the now defunct BC Safety Council, the bike won hands down! I have many fond memories (and living in Vancouver, also wet and cold memories) with that bike, which I ended up selling when I moved overseas a couple of years ago. People say that once you get the "bug" it never leaves you, and I can personally attest to that. So here I am, back in BC and after far too long an absence, back on two wheels with a big smile on my face - huge in fact!

This was the first weekend I had an opportunity to really play around on the FZ6R. I'm still breaking her in, or perhaps it's the other way around - the bike is breaking me in. Either way, I'm half way out of the 5,500 rpm "prison". So far, I have nothing but praise for the bike. Kudos to the engineers at Yamaha for designing an affordable, high quality bike that performs well in the real world, which tends to be filled with pot holes, trips that range from a couple of hours to days, and people like me - over 6 feet tall with no desire to wheelie my way through life!

Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member