• Ride it normally, with revs under 8k

Votes: 133 47.8%
  • Beat it up, with revs under 10k and a quick oil change

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ride it like you stole it

Votes: 27 9.7%

• Total voters

roadrat

After reading the owner's manual I determined it's excessive heat that could be a problem during the first 600. I stayed within manual limits on RPMs but I also weigh 210 lbs., loaded the bike with about 20 lbs. of luggage and rode it to Palm Springs in 100 degree heat at about 300 miles. So whateva... just passed 1000 and the bike runs great.

Detrich

Does the bike have service records? If proof of 600 mile service was completed properly, then I think just start opening her up...

I really have no idea. The only thing supposedly being shipped to me was the title and bill of sale.

In the event it doesn't come with one, what should I do?

Chucker

I'm getting a bike with just 980 miles on it. Should I be thinking about a break-in procedure as well?
I always do an oil and filter change on a used vehicle as soon as I get it so I know exactly when it was done and what oil was used. If you do that, you don't have to worry about taking it easy. What's done is done.

Michael Wilson

Ride her like you stole her. You want it to break under warrerenty....

Now saying that.... I dont mean wake up and start riding at 8am everyday to midnight without stopping! Also don't hammer on her too much early in the morning after a cold night... let her warm up to around 180-200 degrees F. Then crack the whip

Maybe I should read the manual. I have no idea what temperatures the bike should be at, or what even normal shifting is.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

rr_double_rr

I would recommend finding someone close to you in the local threads and ride with them. Provided that they are of sound mind and :squid:eek:city, you should be fine. Have you taken the MSF or another rider's course? That part about not knowing when to shift has me concerned.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

findmadhav

Just touched 600 miles on the bike today. Did my own oil change with Mobil1 Full Synthetic 10W40 and K&N oil filter. Rode it after that for a short while.... Feels nice to be able to ride faster and smoother now :)

flyingminno

Just touched 600 miles on the bike today. Did my own oil change with Mobil1 Full Synthetic 10W40 and K&N oil filter. Rode it after that for a short while.... Feels nice to be able to ride faster and smoother now :)
Wow I didn't know Mobil1 made motorcycle oil?

KeysRider3

Somewhere in-between

Read the OM re prolonged periods over 5800 rpm, and haven't had any trouble doing that. I agree that the recommended shift points are useless, and what the tach reads is more important. I plan on a first oil and filter change this weekend (something between 400 and 500 miles), again at 1000, and then every 2000 afterwards. I've used that maintenance interval for 46 years in Hondas, Zooks, Kawis and Harleys, and haven't had an engine failure. Because I change oil and filters more often I use non-syn oils and manufacturer filters.

Frinksbonkers

I got my bike last wednesday, after reading the manual it says dont hold the revs over 5800rpm for prolonged periods (i.e. motorway driving) for first 600miles and not to rev it past the redline, and then no more than 7000rpm for 400miles for prolonged periods.

i have done the occasional 'full throttle, shoot down the road in 2nd gear screamer' then backed off once it hit 10,00rpm - being naughty and breaking Gibraltars maximum speed limit of 30mph.

Still only done 360kms though since i got it.

FastFreddy

It felt like the oil was ready to change at 300km for mine.

The Yamaha guy reckons the first batch of oil is a special blend that you should take to the full 1000km (in my case), so I did that.

Dustin600

I never found a reason to break the bike in any other way than what is specified by the manufacturer. You are actually breaking in the engine and transmission at the same time. I have a 40 mile commute to work and my bike was broke in over a series of 1 hour trips to and from work exactly as specified in the manual. I never exceeded the reccomended RPM or held the throttle wide open. It was actually 1,100 miles on the bike before I cranked on the throttle and revved to 11,000 RPM. I know two people who have done damage to the valve train by exceeding reccomended RPMs before breaking in. One was a V8 Mustang and one was an R6.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member