MotoGP today (Spoiler Alert!!!!)

Fizzer6R

not too bad compared to what happened in Indy today :(

some riders got lucky, while others had a bad day

Detrich

Does anyone know how the crash happened? High price to pay for racing. One of the interviews on Faster where one of the riders became paralyzed was that sometimes they really push too themselves too far to win. Sigh

ajskillz13

Does anyone know how the crash happened? High price to pay for racing. One of the interviews on Faster where one of the riders became paralyzed was that sometimes they really push too themselves too far to win. Sigh
220 mph on a high speed oval + 3 & 4 wide racing. Drivers admitted that people were pushing too hard at that point in the race and it got out of control.

The initial spin and contact wasn't much, but the fact that drivers behind couldn't slow down to avoid it is what caused Dan and another car to ramp off of the piles like rocket ships. Dan got up into the catch fence and that was it.

The Safer barriers have been such a great innovation into the sport of racing to minimize wall impacts, but there's not much they can do when cars become airborn and get into the fence.

Detrich

does anyone know how Lorenzo crashed & lost his ring finger? (and Spies' crash?)

Yamaha's web site isn't giving many details.

Heineken

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

they showed both on the BBC show - Lorenzo's bike came out of a corner and was trying to buck him off big time, he held on for life while it tried to spit him off then finally high-sided down. - they showed it from a cam off the track, so you could see how violent it was.

"Lorenzo got into a tank slapper and caught his hand between the bars and frame when falling from the bike, the crash tore the end of his finger off. Lorenzo, clearly in pain took off his glove and threw it to the ground, unaware it contained the end of his finger.

Lorenzo was then flown to hospital where he underwent three hours of surgery where his fingertip was reattached."

They showed Spies crash from on bike video, forgot if he lost the front or rear first and it just slid out from him. Guess he hit his head hard, next day he went out and did a lap or more and said could not concentrate trying to get up to speed, so they decided not to race around others less than 100% and risk further injury.

bad race weekend for both :( while golden boy Stoner couldn't have had a better one - wrapped up the title on his home track and it was even his birthday!

Mitch21

Go stoner!!!

2nd championship & 5 wins at Phillip island all on his birthday.

Go the Aussies :aus: :aus: :aus:

Heineken

Elite Member

Detrich

do motogp race bikes have steering dampers? if they do, can they still tank slap?

i am still on the fence as to whether or not i should get one for the R6... everyone says i should, but i don't really ride that aggressively.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

another angle was that since stoner came from ducati, and those bikes are so difficult to ride, that making the switch to honda made things so much easier for him? i know rossi's been riding with lingering injuries. but, he wasn't really much of a threat to anyone this year. :(

Heineken

Elite Member

dcBear78

A heap of guys from a local bike forum I read went to the MotoGP. Here's a pic of a couple of them celebrating the win.

The guy on the Busa road from Perth to Phillip Island 3600km (approx LA to Chicago) in 2 and a bit days. Here he is before he left.

View image: IMAG0403

The return trip was just under 2 days. Probably wound open the Busa a few times I would say. Crossing the Nullabor and Australia's longest straight stretch of road (146.6km) must have been pretty boring though.

Map of the trip for those interested.
Perth WA to Phillip Island VIC - Google Maps

Detrich

rr_double_rr

A heap of guys from a local bike forum I read went to the MotoGP. Here's a pic of a couple of them celebrating the win.

The guy on the Busa road from Perth to Phillip Island 3600km (approx LA to Chicago) in 2 and a bit days. Here he is before he left.

View image: IMAG0403

The return trip was just under 2 days. Probably wound open the Busa a few times I would say. Crossing the Nullabor and Australia's longest straight stretch of road (146.6km) must have been pretty boring though.

Map of the trip for those interested.
Perth WA to Phillip Island VIC - Google Maps
146k in a straight line? Jeebus. I thought 30 miles in New Mexico was a pain to stay awake for. That road is either famous for fatalities or just doesn't get used that often I would suppose.

dcBear78

Only road linking east and east (without going round the top end, in which case a 4x4 is a necessity). Whilst that is the longest stretch, I don't imagine the few hundred k's in either direction have many turns either.

Most common traffic would be "road trains." But I think most freight would go via rail. Incidentally the 2nd longest straight stretch of rail in the world too.

Detrich

i'm blind now... x_X y couldn't it have been 2 hot chics in bikini's instead? lol...

Heineken

Elite Member