TechSpec Custom Shape Snake Skin Tank Pads... Get some!

sti491

These pads were nearly the last mod in a long list I’ve done to my 2012 FZ6R that I got just a few months ago… I should have done them first!

Placing them correctly was a bit harder than the ones we did on my son’s SV650, and his 250 Ninja, because of the grey swirly tank paint tank graphics I wanted to cover, and still have the side pads get down lower on the plastic part compared to TechSpec's stock pads. The stock fit TechSpec pads for our bikes is this link: http://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/yamaha/yamaha-fz6r-2010-current-snake-skin-tank-grip-pads.html.

For me, the stock model-specific pad shape did not go low enough onto the plastic part of the tank, where my leg rests. And, while some may argue it blocks the tank graphics, I was never a fan of the grey swirly Raven tank graphics. The ones on the side fairings are low enough that they don't bother me enough to remove them.

So I just made a template and called up Scott at TechSpec, who is very nice and helpful. He pointed out my first design would be problematic due the tank shape, so I went with this. I considered covering the red stripes completely, and going with two pieces to keep the entire red striped area showing but blocking out the grey swirlies. I ended up with this shape for form, function and looks combined. Could not be happier.

Scott priced it at the same cost of their off-the-shelf FZ6R pads for our bike, which I thought was great. These are not inexpensive. However, from my research and installing them on two bikes now, the quality is excellent.

I think they look awesome! Already getting compliments. Definitely makes the bike look more serious. More importantly, they feel incredible. Being a 63 year old rider, comfort is important to me, as is performance. I knew from riding my son’s bike, but on a cold morning these pads on my FZ6R are SOOOOOO much better than a frigid metal tank against my legs! My custom design works excellent for where my legs contact just cruising, and for cornering body positions. My seat is raised 1.5+" with 1" up & 1" back bar risers, and I'm 6'3", so I would think with the normal seat position and bars most riders, they would want the pad coming down on the plastic even more than me, but I could be wrong about that, your results may vary.

If you have not tried TechSpec's products I highly recommend. Bike is waaaay better with them!

Attachments

MrFrzZ

Looks good... I threw a Set of Stomp grips on mine and while it feels much more "grippy" with jeans on, it feels like they slide just a bit with my leathers, which you'd think would be the opposite. :confused:

sti491

Looks good... I threw a Set of Stomp grips on mine and while it feels much more "grippy" with jeans on, it feels like they slide just a bit with my leathers, which you'd think would be the opposite. :confused:
I read somewhere that stomp grips had more aggressive nubs than SpecTec, plus I had some personal experience with my sons.

Whatever the brand I think every rider should have them... the side ones. As far as I can tell the center ones, I don't think they do much for your riding, but they a lot for stopping your jacket zipper or belt buckle scratching the tank!

MrFrzZ

As far as I can tell the center ones, I don't think they do much for your riding, but they a lot for stopping your jacket zipper or belt buckle scratching the tank!
I put a "harder" center strip up on mine.... it has beaten my jacket to death....:(