Mod. Stock Exhaust

joloy133

About the rpm hesitation......I don't recall anything noteworthy but the PCV definitely was significant. (I did 3 total dyno sessions to get the performance/mileage balance I wanted).

yamadude

Just did the mod and saved me $800

I took all the advice here and just went with it. Sounds sick. I love it. The best thing is it cost me nothing... Zip-Zero-Nada.....

I found a 2.5 inch pipe form am old ford V10 f250 that I changed the exhaust on. It is a 2.25 ID..

Cut the cat down so there was about 1/2 inch around the small inner pipe.

Slash cut the end of the new pipe, cut it down to 4" at the longest part and tac welded it in place.

I did not have to take the pipe off the bike because there was enough meat left on the cat that I could weld it from the inside of the new pipe.

Painted with black exhaust paint and done. Could not believe the sound. Very glad I tried it.

Thanks to all.....:)

Roaddawg

Ok, I'm getting real close...I bought a tip similar to Kleinfalls for $9. I have a couple questions for those of you that have done this mod. (I've seen and heard Joloy's and I like it...I just had a few questions for the masses) Are you still happy with it? Have you experienced anything negative? I've heard backfire and laggy RPM issues. Do you think you NEED to get a dyno and/or power commander to make it right? I just don't want to do this and then realize I need to spend a few hundred to 'make it right'. For me, it's more of a cosmetic thing (because I don't care for the cheesy stock cap) and also I want it just a tad bit throatier. I could care less about HP gains and all. I just don't want to get in too deep 'cuz I gotta spend my money elsewhere.

Anyways, I also had an idea that has been brought up before. What about drilling a series of holes (1/4 to 3/8") around the outside perimeter of the stock pipe, say six or seven spaced evenly around, then weld on the tip? I thought this might give it a little bit of a baffle. Like I said, I'm not looking for anything TOO drastic, just a little more sound than stock. What do you all think??? I know, I know.....just do it all ready!:D At the very minimum, I plan on cutting the stock pipe back to the muffler housing and welding on the tip for looks. I just thought about adding a few holes too. Tell me what you think.

joloy133

Your baffle idea would work. Keep the center pipe centered but shorter within the large tip to pull additional exhaust gases through the holes you drill, a venturi effect.

Roaddawg

Your baffle idea would work. Keep the center pipe centered but shorter within the large tip to pull additional exhaust gases through the holes you drill, a venturi effect.
That's kinda that I was thinking. Cut the middle pipe about 1/4" from the muffler box.

joloy133

That's kinda that I was thinking. Cut the middle pipe about 1/4" from the muffler box.
Depending on the final length of your outer pipe it could even be 1" long? You might consider drilling 3 holes first to evaluate the sound, evenly spaced. If you need more drill 3 more to have 6 total evenly spaced around the middle pipe. To effect pitch you could vary the size or bore of your openings 3 at 1/4 " and 3 at 3/8". If you get an aviation bit you could do this after welding the outer pipe with pilot holes drilled ahead of time. Let me know when you're going to do this and I'd come by, sounds like fun.

tractorboy

Roadawg.
I like your thinking! I want only a little more too! Please after you do it post pics and a sound/video clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would be my HERO!

Chaos

My Exhaust Mod

Hey ya'll, I decided today that I was gonna do the mod posted earlier by putting on a larger pipe. Good God I love the way this bike sounds now. LOVE IT!!!!

We did it a bit different than what was shown by others. Instead of choppin off the stock pipe we actually cut off the pipe with a bit of the muffler, so there was about a half inch all the way around the pipe. Then fitted the new tip and welded it on. I got a vid of it after to let ya'll hear it but my phone don't record sound all that well so it doesn't do it justice. But the bike just sounds sick now! My boy was ridin it 6 blocks away from my house and I could hear her screamin!

Here are a few pics of what we did.

Here is the vid
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2D51UJm78]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6R Exhaust Mod[/ame]

And just an FYI for any Southeast Michigan riders, my boy who owns this muffler shop said he will do this for $50, with tip and paint the weld and muffler to match, I still gotta get the paint done.

Roaddawg

Depending on the final length of your outer pipe it could even be 1" long? You might consider drilling 3 holes first to evaluate the sound, evenly spaced. If you need more drill 3 more to have 6 total evenly spaced around the middle pipe. To effect pitch you could vary the size or bore of your openings 3 at 1/4 " and 3 at 3/8". If you get an aviation bit you could do this after welding the outer pipe with pilot holes drilled ahead of time. Let me know when you're going to do this and I'd come by, sounds like fun.
Drilling three hole first sounds like a good idea....no pun intended. I was going to do it this weekend, but I had to leave my bike in SF and take a work car home...a little overtime. Next weekend, I'm camping....but I will let you know when.

Roaddawg

Roadawg.
I like your thinking! I want only a little more too! Please after you do it post pics and a sound/video clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would be my HERO!
I definently will take photos and a video for you. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I'll let you know. Plus, I just ordered that +1 sprocket today as well......as the weather gets better the mod bug comes out!! :D

Roaddawg

Hey ya'll, I decided today that I was gonna do the mod posted earlier by putting on a larger pipe. Good God I love the way this bike sounds now. LOVE IT!!!!

We did it a bit different than what was shown by others. Instead of choppin off the stock pipe we actually cut off the pipe with a bit of the muffler, so there was about a half inch all the way around the pipe. Then fitted the new tip and welded it on. I got a vid of it after to let ya'll hear it but my phone don't record sound all that well so it doesn't do it justice. But the bike just sounds sick now! My boy was ridin it 6 blocks away from my house and I could hear her screamin!

Here are a few pics of what we did.
/QUOTE]

Surfing youtube, and I came across your vid. Somehow this post slipped by me. Anyways, sounds good and I like how you tried a different mounting position. I bought a rounded edge slant tip and was messing around with the position to mount it. Looks and sounds good man. Any issues?

Chaos

Thanks, I have noticed no issues since doing it. And I love the fact I can now be heard when I'm in traffic!

TunaTank86

I like your sound after the mod much more than any of the others that have been posted. Whered you get your tip? I'd love to recreate what you did with mine.

Chaos

If you are referring to my bike, he just had the tip laying around the shop.

Roaddawg

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f101/xj6-exhaust-17807/

What does everyone think of the mod done here by Tim8o? I personally love it but has anyone else tried it?
Two mufflers?!?! It's already a quiet bike. This setup is like the comp werks tip....just cosmetic, but now your adding another muffler. I think if you cut out the stock section/box out and fabbed a mid pipe to the stock headers, then you might have something going. My .02.

jrv81

i want to thank a few of you who have decided to do the stock mod exhaust and given me the motivation to do it. I just couldnt take the sound anymore. I am extremely impressed with my $150 mod total work and equipment. Here are the pics....i know everyone wants a video but seriously it just does not do justice unless in person. The bike sounds for real now and love revving it!!

Attachments

elishatarvin

i know ima little late here, but what size tips (diameter, length) and where did u get them for thoser who did the mod where u cut the tip and part of the muffler off? and i dont have the saw or any welding experience at all. where could i take this to get it done? just a muffler shop? and notice any negative side effects like lag or not as much high end torque etc?

Last edited:

Roaddawg

i know ima little late here, but what size tips (diameter, length) and where did u get them for thoser who did the mod where u cut the tip and part of the muffler off? and i dont have the saw or any welding experience at all. where could i take this to get it done? just a muffler shop? and notice any negative side effects like lag or not as much high end torque etc?
Read the entire thread first. I believe all your questions would be answered.