Mod. Stock Exhaust

joloy133

Looking at your bike......No. Your best option is to see if you can remove the stock baffles at the tip. If you can, you would increase the exhaust diameter and change sound and performance parameters. They do this to heavily customized bikes (Harley's), with various aftermarket baffle kits. If U look at the R&D of aftermarket exhausts, the torque and HP improvements aren't great. The looks and sound is what really sells them, is it worth $800 +/-? Larger exhaust opening usually give deeper and louder note, quality unknown 2B honest. My situation with exhaust assembly as it is was worth it. If I was wrong I just weld the existing pipe back on.

joloy133

To all possibly interested: I was looking for any others who modified their stock exhaust so I Googled xj 6 mods as they seem to do this stuff more in Europe. Anyway on ebay there is a new Ixil hyperlow euroline slip on exhaust available that looks eerily similar to what I did. The xj 6 exhaust port is 2 1/4". (Why the extra weld to reduce US version to 1 1/4"?) There is a drone most noticeable in the 3000 to 4400 rpm range under 45 mph.

Roaddawg

To all possibly interested: I was looking for any others who modified their stock exhaust so I Googled xj 6 mods as they seem to do this stuff more in Europe. Anyway on ebay there is a new Ixil hyperlow euroline slip on exhaust available that looks eerily similar to what I did. The xj 6 exhaust port is 2 1/4". (Why the extra weld to reduce US version to 1 1/4"?) There is a drone most noticeable in the 3000 to 4400 rpm range under 45 mph.
That one looks like it would suck for the passenger. Blowing the exhaust at their heel. I like yours better.:thumbup:

FZ6R-NE

Joloy, im planning on doing the same mod to my exhaust (i just cant justify spending the $900). How exactly did you do yours? Did you grind off that weld at the end of the outlet pipe to remove it? That outlet pipe also appears to curve once its inside the box. How far inside of the box does that pipe go? I just don't want to chop that pipe off and realize i've opened up a can of worms and ruined my exhaust...

joloy133

Hello NE: I decided to go with a 2 1/4" pipe. The welder then took the pipe and slid it over the stocker after removing the chrome piece. (Save this as it is worth about $100 from dealer.) We centered the new pipe using the smaller stock pipe as a guide for angle from box and length. I also kept with a slight backward and down slope. He then marked the outline on the outer wall of the exhaust after angle cutting the end to be welded to the wall. He cut the short pipe, then cut an opening on the outer wall. That's when U see a double wall design to the box and no stuffing. We ovaled the exit end of the pipe re-checked angle, clearance, look, etc. and did a tack weld before final attachment.

Here's the challenge/fun part: I ended up placing an insert from a used glass pack inside the 2 1/4" tailpipe because I had a strong resonant drone which annoyed me after the initial excitement wore off. This changed the frequency/pitch of the drone and is now good. You can listen to the opening as is after the tack weld. It sounds mean with a slight grumble. I would recommend placing a diffuser of some type to the short stub to clear the outer wall, then the finished tailpipe over. This is to provide some boundary turbulence to break up resonant sound waves or pulses. Stock exhausts actually consider this in the R & D. How and what type of diffuser device is your call. My solution was after the fact. Old school diffusers include an angled (45*) washer - 1 or 1 1/2" on a bolt, a slotted muffler pipe, anything to divert and deflect the exhaust note to cancell or alter the drone. My muffler guy had done this before as he specializes in custom exhausts. I actually had fun doing the research and experimenting. You may not want/need the diffuser, and there are a number of ways to put one in if you have an excessive drone. Also, you could choose a differ. size pipe; 2 1/2", 2", 3" pinched down to a big oval -slash cut, etc. (You could put a "Y" at the outer box and go to a double pipe 1-1/2" exit. I've seen this with other bikes.
Let me know how U decide to go, the double exit would probably suffice as your diffuser at the junction!) Good luck....I have no regrets with my alteration............joloy

FZ6R-NE

Thanks for the input joloy. I've got my exhaust off so i can work on it easier and i'm planning on doing the mod tomorrow. If the drone annoys me do you think you could take a picture of the diffuser you had made and post it?

joloy133

Yeah with help of a friend. Let me know. Most muffler shops can get baffled pipe cheap. My guy just cut open a glasspack because lots of guys spend money putting their cars and trucks back to stock after running with flowmasters and whatever.

FZ6R-NE

Well i finished the mod....and im truly impressed with the sound. I don't think im going to want a diffuser. How much of a gap did you open up between the inner pipe and the outer wall? I had around a 1/2'' gap. In lower rmp's the bike is very loud (which i really like). Heres some pics of the finished product.

Attachments

cbzdel

Well i finished the mod....and im truly impressed with the sound. I don't think im going to want a diffuser. How much of a gap did you open up between the inner pipe and the outer wall? I had around a 1/2'' gap. In lower rmp's the bike is very loud (which i really like). Heres some pics of the finished product.
any pics in the process of what you did?? I am more of a visual person..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The finished product looks good...nice and clean. :thumbup:

Post up some videos if you can; we'd like to hear it.

FZ6R-NE

sorry...i dont have any pics of during the process, but as for the video ill try to have one up soon. i'll try to get a picture of inside the pipe...it should show the gap between the factory inner pipe and outer wall where the extra exhaust is now escaping

joloy133

Hey NE: Looks good. I had about 1/2"also:thumbup:. You kept your tip straight/round, so I would bet yours is louder than mine. Run it and enjoy, if the drone gets you on longer freeway runs you still have options, the fact that you stayed round gives you the option of an insert like TBR or any other actually. HD aftermarket is big on inserts because they attract tickets and that gets old! I say next step is DYNO......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rubicon1000

did the mod with a automotive tip sure looks good and sounds great. spent 5 dollars for the tip and about 10 dollars for a hole saw bit, 20 dollars i threw at a buddy for welding it for me sounds and looks great. very happy

Roaddawg

That looks real good! I've been contemplating this mod for a while. I just don't want to piss my neighbors off at 6am warming up my bike. I've seen some videos about exhaust mods on other bikes (mostly cruisers) where they drill a series of holes around the outlet area to obtain a little more rumble/sound. Anyone think this might work?

rubicon1000

i tryed drilling the holes it just didnt work, this is not to bad sounds just right for the bike. i just wnated my wife to be hurd when she is riding in traffic