Mod. Stock Exhaust

Forean

Did mine the other day, used a 3" tip, it was a little big but it looks and sounds great!

I also took some time to thermal spray paint it black so it matches.

Neo

Did mine the other day, used a 3" tip, it was a little big but it looks and sounds great!

I also took some time to thermal spray paint it black so it matches.
That looks awesome and i bet it sounds awesome. I have a youtube clip of what mine sounds like. you will get use to how loud it sounds. i have had this mod for ages with no issue.

eskimo10

Bumping a little bit of an old thread here, but has any one done this and tried using JB Weld rather than actually welding it? I was thinking about trying that, but I wasn't sure how the high heat would mess with it. Thanks for the thoughts!

TN6R

I have read through all the pages on this mod and compared drilling holes to cutting the stock pipe, widening the hole and rewelding a new tip, and decided to go ahead and drill 3 holes 5/16" in diameter just under the southeast side of the stock pipe, and all about 1/4" spaced. I did this first because I thought if I didn't like it I would then just have a hole cut in instead and then weld a new tip on.

BUT, to much of my original doubt and thinking 'I can't believe I am going to drill holes in my muffler (being a car guy and that's just plain gay) I thought I would try it before the hole cutting method and then rewelding a new tip.

Bottom Line: I was surprised at how well it sounded with the 3 drilled holes. When idling it wasn't 'that' much of a big difference. In fact I kind of felt like 'that's it?' but then I went for a ride and it screamed during acceleration up through the mid rpms. I'm glad I did it, love this ridiculously easy mod. And again, I just want to stress how stupid-easy this was. It took me about 2 minutes with a drill. When I was done, I just put the stock tip back on and screwed on the 3 bolts and the holes couldn't be seen, which was cool.

I'll add a picture in a few minutes.

Attachments

Last edited:

tzrox

Just did this today. Not sure I like it... I'm having some regrets lol. It looks great, but It's ... way louder than I thought it'd be for one. I thought maybe I did something wrong and did not mount the headers back on correctly but i'm pretty sure all the sound is coming from the exhaust. I tried recording it but my phone can't record things that loud haha.

tzrox

Hmm, I'm starting to think I did something wrong.

It's a weird kind of loud, in the sense that, the volume is almost ok but With my 2.5" pipe the drone the bike now makes in my garage is pretty unbearable, and made worse so by my helmet, i can barely stand next to it without feeling uncomfortable. I can try and outrun the sound when going fast but otherwise its pretty bad. I'ts like the sound compounds in a hall effect of some kind lol.

Might just be my ears being sensitive because I can easily hear myself talk in my helmet, yet ringing ensues and when I'm done with a 5 min ride my ears are ringing still.