Mod. Stock Exhaust

JayB

I just put on the exhaust tip from Competition Werkes. I'm happy with it, it has a nice look and a throaty sound. I would have liked it to be louder though but I wasn't ready to do a whole header replacement.

Competition Werkes Exhaust link below:

Competition Werkes Exhaust

cbzdel

I just put on the exhaust tip from Competition Werkes. I'm happy with it, it has a nice look and a throaty sound. I would have liked it to be louder though but I wasn't ready to do a whole header replacement.

Competition Werkes Exhaust link below:

Competition Werkes Exhaust
How in the world did it chance the exhaust sound? It says its a cosmetic mod only and provides no changes other than looks..

arcflash316

no offense but that is almost as bad as those plastic "spinners" from autozone that get put onto an 88 oldsmobile cutlass.....ok maybe not THAT bad but still you smell what I am cookin'??

cbzdel

We have moved past butt-dyno and the new thing is ear-dyno, spend $100+ on a fancy tip and it sounds louder :D

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

Roaddawg

I'm thinking to do this mod too, I mean the stock exhaust mod. I'm planing to take before/after pictures/videos . I just want to be a bit louder, I don't really care much for HP gain or for looks. Not to mention it's about $750 less than the 2bros option witch won't work with my SW-Motech center stand (thank you arcflash316 to bring that up on the other thread ) :)). Thanks you guys for posting all the info/videos/pictures .
Can you take pics of where/how you cut the opening before you weld the tip on? No one has quite addressed this detailed enough for me. Pics work better than words to me. Thanks.

Heineken

Elite Member

sldwys87

Hey rubicon 1000

Where did you get that tip from??? I know you said automotive tip, just wondering what exactly to use? Thanks

njdan

I would like to see the how to pictures of someone who has done this mod. Also where did the automotive tip come from?

pilninggas

Just won this on eBay. YAMAHA,XJ6, 2009, SCORPION EXHAUST,OVAL CONED STAINLESS on eBay (end time 28-Feb-10 19:01:31 GMT)

Got it for £72 and they retail at over £200, Bargain! Not sure if I really like the way it looks or even know what it'll sound like as I could only find a couple of pics and no vid's. I'm gonna fit it and if doesn't float my boat I'll relist it on the Bay for £73, lol.
f*ck my boots, that was cheap. That was developed by fast bike (the magazine) i think. its worth that all day long

njdan

For those who have done this mod, what length is the pipe you are using coming out from the stock muffler? I see alot of automotive tips like some of you have used are 6 -10 inches long, just wondering if that would have to be cut. Here are some of the tips I am refering to.

2-1/4" ROUND STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST MUFFLER TIP : eBay Motors (item 280462005795 end time Apr-08-10 00:06:42 PDT)

2-1/4" ROUND STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST MUFFLER TIP : eBay Motors (item 260549598759 end time Apr-08-10 00:09:53 PDT)

joloy133

Usually an extension of muffler pipe is welded onto the muffler opening. (Mine is just that, then angle cut/shaped to finish where I liked it, and black paint.) Look at your tip and talk to your installer/welder. If you're doing it, you can weld a pipe that your extension could slide over and attach that way. For practice you can unscrew the chrome piece and slide your extension over the 1 1/4" stock pipe to see how much angle back and tilt you want. Tack weld to determine final shape and position. You could even exit with a dual tip, whatever you want. It will sound better than stock, louder, and definite HP gain.

Kleinfalls

OK - so you guys that modified the stock muffler by chopping off the smaller pipe and enlarging the opening and welding a larger diameter pipe onto the stock body - all you guys still happy with the results???

You guys have inspired me to try this as well. My thought is to use a reciprocating saw and saw off the smaller pipe right at the body - then using a 1/2 drill bit - just drilling holes all the way around the small pipe opening leaving 1/4 inch gaps between (you guys said that's the spacing ya'll ended up with after your mod - then all I have to do is go by a muffler shop and have them weld on a tip

Does that sound like it will work??? Thoughts? Comments?

tractorboy

The better the fit/cut of the hole and matching pipe the better off you are, easier to weld. Its worth it to borrow or even rent a hole saw with the proper diameter. will give a much better fit and finish to the final product and less mess welding and stronger in the Long run. Thats my Opinion as Im an ok welder and the better I have two pcs match the better the weld and better/tighter the fit and finish later.

I know what your saying about taking your time and trying that but over all...a hole saw and BAM..done and Purrrrfect.

Some rental places with have one or maybe a buddy might have one for the one cut you need.

Im debating it but dont want super loud, just a lil louder.

Good luck!

joloy133

I am very, very satisfied with the exhaust mod. I got the sound I wanted with HP gain which at the time was a secondary consideration. The cat is still in so maybe I'm not polluting either. The sound volume with 2 1/4 " pipe is not as loud as the TBR, but you always have the option to use a baffle if you want to affect sound further. (With money saved you could upgrade the suspension too!) GL

Kleinfalls

What size holw saw did you guys use to cut out the stock tip??? 2"?? or 2 1/4"??