Mod. Stock Exhaust

joloy133

Hey everyone; FWIW, I just modified the stock exhaust. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a complete exhaust change for the performance payoff. I just wanted a better sound. (Gambled on the self-made version from Germany-UTube Vid.) Anyway went to the local speed muffler shop and had him cut out tailpipe behind chrome piece, 1-1/4" stock, to replace with 2-1/4" angle cut to match as in video. Sound is deeper, fuller, louder but not too loud.
Performance may be better, sound note gives that impression, still too new. A patron regular has an R1 and commented that it sounds similar, he likes! It maybe slightly louder than I like but it was so quiet before. I'll update further if anyone is interested.:Flash:

xplodnstar

I'm VERY interested in hearing more!!!

Roaddawg

Man, I can't believe your teasing us like this...What's the "self-made from Germany" link so at least we can get a taste until YOU post your video? ;)

EDIT: Is this the one? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THhAyf4xpz4[/ame]

S

scoobydrvr

I looked up (what i think) is the video he's basing this off of. Pretty sure it's just drilled baffles. Google translator did a decent job, it mentions baffles and drilling, but nothing specific. Check it out...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbid4GwHM68]YouTube - Auspuff Mod Fz6[/ame]

Interestingly, I took the bike to a muffler shop and showed it to one of the mechanics. He said i might try drilling out the baffle for a little more volume but also recommended removing the long tubes that are the actual exit and replacing them with something larger that doesn't go into the muffler. The larger diameter allows for longer wavelengths to escape (deeper tones) and the shorter pipe means there are less bends for the sound to have to navigate (more volume). I'm thinking about giving it a try when my finances turn around as I don't like the huge increase in volume associated with aftermarket exhausts.

joloy133

Yes to roaddawg and for everyone else, the video from earlier postings is the "XJ 6 self made exhaust" on you tube. I just copied that video. I chose 2 1/4" pipe as that is what 2BR uses, with angle cut to be parallel to frame it looks 2 1/2". Cost was $85 at a muffler shop. I'll find somebody to do a picture 4U. My buddy say it sounds "badaaaaa"! (The sound portion of that video is not true to life.) (Hey roaddawg, if u want to meet to hear it urself............let me know.)

Roaddawg

Yes to roaddawg and for everyone else, the video from earlier postings is the "XJ 6 self made exhaust" on you tube. I just copied that video. I chose 2 1/4" pipe as that is what 2BR uses, with angle cut to be parallel to frame it looks 2 1/2". Cost was $85 at a muffler shop. I'll find somebody to do a picture 4U. My buddy say it sounds "badaaaaa"! (The sound portion of that video is not true to life.) (Hey roaddawg, if u want to meet to hear it urself............let me know.)
Oh yeah, you are right down the street...I may take you up on that.

joloy133

Here's the video everyone wants to see...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyRqMG5RKJ4[/ame]

By the way, it sounds way better in person.

fz6r rider

can you do a step by step for this mod?

euros4life

Sounds really good....... much better then stock and cheaper then after market for the less then fortunate.

joloy133

Again, I gave instruction to my muffler person who does custom work for the bikers and rodders in this area. However, step by step:

1. Remove chrome tip by undoing 3 bolts. This exposes 1 1/4" pipe and
factory weld jont of approx. 2 1/2" dia.

2. We fashioned a tailpiece with 2 1/4" pipe and determined shape and position to approx. geometry of original. Mine is angled back and slightly up. Do this carefully with clearances in mind.

3. with tip shape and angles determined, He cut out 2 1/4" hole.

4. He then shaped back end to fit contour of stock muffler.

5. He then tacked, welded and painted tailpiece.

After step 3, you could see 2 walls as there was an opening behind the stock weld point. We just welded the new piece to the outside wall.

msgirle

So is this mod, something your guy is willing to do for us locals? If so, what would he charge? It's definitely something to consider if we don't want to fork out the big bucks for a two brothers exhaust!

tractorboy

I see someone else took off their stars on the bottom of the graphic..much nicer!!

sound change is modest....nice.....

Tractor

joloy133

To msgirle, I'm sure he would but any decent muffler shop could do this. The cost 4 me was $85. (ABC muffler shop in Benicia). To tractorboy, thanks.